6 replies to this topic

#1 FredM

FredM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:40 AM

I have a Burgundy junior lockdown with a 4 date code that the cap will not screw on. I have switched the cap with a similar Grey model and that cap screws onto the Burgundy barrel well. The Burgundy cap will barely catch the threads on the Grey barrel. I removed the section and the cap screws right on. I've checked the widths of both caps and they are the same. The sections are the same also. I have measured from the cap edge to the inner cap and it is the same on both caps. It seems to me that the inner cap is the problem but I can't figure it out. Any suggestions? Is it a relatively straight forward fix or should I just get a new cap?

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:43 AM

It is possible the threads that initially engaged have been stripped, while allowing the cap to close further on pen allows exposure to healthier threads. I would not expect a burgundy lockdown Junior (marbled?) to have a single digit date code.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 FredM

FredM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:10 AM

That is a good point. I'd bet you're right about the threads. And, yes it is marbled. The second digit appears to be rubbed out from posting.

#4 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:55 AM

worn threads....

sometimes you can modify the section length or the inner cap length, but at the same time better measure and adjust the nib and feed height. 

new caps are not an easy prospect. 

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:07 AM

A couple of the repair guys-- Ron Zorn comes to mind-- can expand barrels a bit often given better engagement of caps. It is a tricky process.

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#6 Ron Z

Ron Z

Advisor

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:09 PM

Caps and barrels wear together, which is why you can often swap caps and barrels, and have the parts work when they jump as originally found.

The inner cap of a Vac is machined into the cap, not pushed in is it is on other pen, that is unless it's a "opps" cap where a seperate inner cap was made to compensate for a botched one.  It is JUST long enough for the nib to clear, and there is rarely enough room to shorten it without having to set the nib into the section quite a bit.  Shortening the section makes it look funny, and is noticeable. 

The best way to repair the pen is to  have the barrel threads stretched.  The process expands the first couple or few threads so that they engage with the threads in the cap.  Many times the repair is invisible, completely unoticeable, yet the cap screws on securely on the barrel as it should.  The advantage wiht a Vac is that even though the barrel is stretched, because the section threads reach down far enough that it screws in and is snug, and when sealed with thread sealant doesn't leak.  I've done this on many pens including many of my own, and none have come back with the same problem since I started doing the procedure. 

Posted Image
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Visit Main Street Pens

The Blue Fingers Blog is live! Ramblings and musings (and occasional repair tips) from the bench.

#7 FredM

FredM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:58 AM

Thanks for the responses. I remember now reading something Ron wrote about this a few years ago. I should have looked back at his blog before I asked the question. I agree with the second primary rule of pen repair "replace only when it's impossible to repair". I'm sending it to Ron.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users