• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 malachvintagepens

malachvintagepens

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:14 PM

Hi again, I have two pens Sheaffer, s with imprint in the NIB, 5-30  and a smaller one with imprint in the NIB 3-25 (Annex photo) - Please can someone tell me who does this imprint in the NIB? -  What does it mean  5-30 and 3-25 ? - This two Pen is the Flat Top. 
Am very grateful in advance 
Best Regards

Attached Files

#2 gweddig

gweddig

journeyman

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationNorthern CA

Posted 02 October 2014 - 04:34 PM

Someone who knows better than me will be along shortly. As I understand it the first number is the nib size and the second was related to the original warrantee (25 years).

Though it's possible I'm spreading disinformation if I'm misremembering.

#3 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:37 PM

Guarantee is right - 25 or 30 years.  The 3 or 5 does closely relate to the nib but, the proper answer was the cost of $3 or $5.  There was a 7-30 as well which was a $7 pen with a 30 year guarantee.

Roger W. 

#4 malachvintagepens

malachvintagepens

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:42 PM

thanks for the info, that is what I have understood but not sure. Hope someone else corroborate this information. Thanks and greetings from Spain

#5 malachvintagepens

malachvintagepens

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:46 PM

Thank you very much for the info, I think this information complete and confirmed. I think these models date from about 1938, not sure is it correct? or perhaps another date ?. Thank you very much to all

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:12 PM

Hi,

I'd have to review some of my prior notes, but the pens served by "3-25" nibs gained "3" nibs and the "5-30" the "feathertouch 5" around 1932-3

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#7 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:24 PM

Guarantees came into being in 1928 and were no longer guaranteed in the early thirties.  To continue David's bit above 7-30's became 7 feathertouch's - 7 of anything was never too common in the Sheaffer lineup.

Roger W.

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:38 PM

Guarantees came into being in 1928 and were no longer guaranteed in the early thirties.  To continue David's bit above 7-30's became 7 feathertouch's - 7 of anything was never too common in the Sheaffer lineup.

Roger W.

Of course what became the Feathertouch #8...

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#9 gweddig

gweddig

journeyman

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationNorthern CA

Posted 03 October 2014 - 04:49 AM

Thanks Roger for correcting me on price vs nib size and David for further clarification.

#10 malachvintagepens

malachvintagepens

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:52 PM

thank you for the wealth of information, I think I can already classify these two lovely pen in my special pens cabinet you'll be getting soon. All are all very friendly 
Kind regards from Spain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users