17 replies to this topic

#1 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:45 PM

I picked up a gold-filled Wahl All-Metal pen recently on eBay.  I have never seen this pattern before, and couldn't find it in any of the catalogs to which I have access.  It's worn pretty badly - some of the pattern is gone in fact.  I have not tried cleaning it up yet, so it is also dirty.  Anybody have any idea what this pattern was called?

gallery_6983_116_113590.jpg

gallery_6983_116_34928.jpg

Edited by Procyon, 18 November 2014 - 09:46 PM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:45 PM

I have to find my photo, but this looks to be part of the scarce Lakeside series (not to be confused with Barret-made Lakeside "brand"), pens with color paint or what have you on the metal (perhaps not counting the orange and green ringtop pens seen in routine catalogues). Not sure this pattern was catalogued at all. Suspect your pen has lost the black paint. Still scarce.

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:16 PM

Nope.  Here's what Lakeside looks like.

http://leadheadpenci...-eversharp.html

as first shown by Syd Saperstien:

http://www.fountainp...lues/?p=1049862

The enameled/lacquered pens and pencils in the PCA's 1928 catalogs are either gold fill on silver or sterling.

David, maybe you are thinking of the previously shown "colored metal pen with black paint in an unusual pattern" with which you started the same FPN thread above?  Your FPN pictures are all gone.

#4 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 03:32 AM

And here's a link to more pictures of this yet-unnamed pattern including several from Jack Leone's collection with a lacquered finish:

http://leadheadpenci...g-this-one.html

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:50 AM

Allow me to show the real pen with the more-or-less proper paint, a lucky find 8 years ago or so at the Chicago Pen Show.

wahlmetal__black_lakeside950a.jpg

'

wahlmetal_black_lakeside800b.jpg

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#6 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:14 AM

That is really a gorgeous pen in its original configuration.  Thanks for digging it up, David.  It looks like the paint was actually on the higher points of the surface. I can see how that may have worn off pretty rapidly. My pen is very worn, but actually still looks pretty good after cleaning it up.

gallery_6983_116_114504.jpg

gallery_6983_116_201131.jpg

Regards,
Allan

#7 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:25 PM

I don't believe this model was always enameled from the factory, Procyon.  Absent any trace of paint, I think it's just as likely it never had any.

#8 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:45 PM

Jon, I don't see any trace at all, but the pen is pretty worn.  The engine turning on this pen is the most intense I have ever seen.

Edited by Procyon, 23 November 2014 - 04:46 PM.

Regards,
Allan

#9 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:17 PM

Agreed.  Although some of Jack's prototypes referenced in my article are just as wild - most, though, were likely never produced. 

#10 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:18 PM

Jon, I believe these were always enameled.

Noting that the "enamel" was "cold enamel" (that is, paint), and that it was celluloid-based -- so that the reason it is typically no longer present has much to do with the lifespan of cellulose nitrate lacquer.

I've spent quite a bit of time studying these pens under a microscope to figure out how they were made. With enough magnification, one can see the traces of paint even in cases where no remaining paint is visible at first glance.

Edited by David Nishimura, 23 November 2014 - 10:20 PM.

#11 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:38 PM

They're impressive pens. Neat find Allan !!

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#12 harrison

harrison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:01 PM

My question is about Wahl all metal pens. I've found several #5 nibbed but never a #6. I've heard that the barrel and cap on the #6 is larger than the #5. I would love to see a 6 photo next to a #5 for scale. Does anyone actually own a #6?

#

#13 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:38 PM

Hi harrison,

The Wahl all metal pens are generally #2 and #4 sizes. Both have different size nibs and diameters, although length is about the same. I could be wrong, but I don't believe there really was a #5 size pen, although there may be a #5 nib in a #4 pen.  There was a #6 all metal, but only in the Greek Key pattern, as far as I know.  It is quite rare.  Lucky me, I obtained one at the LA Show this year.  Here is a picture of it along with a #4 size Wahl in Silver Hand Engraved Vine pattern (also pretty scarce), which I also scored there (both from David I.). The size 6 pen is larger diameter and also about a 1/4 inch longer than the size 4.

Allan Goforth

gallery_6983_116_138903.jpg

Regards,
Allan

#14 harrison

harrison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:36 PM

I have four #5 metal wahls. Each is approx. 125 mm long, closed. Cap diameter at opening about 11 mm. I have several #4's with same length and diameter.  Is your #6 different in length or diameter than my #5's?

This would put your #6 at about 130mm.

I appreciate your looking at this.

Harrison

#15 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:36 PM

Yep, my #6 measures right at 130mm in length.  Cap diameter is 12.7mm at opening. As I said, your #5 pens are the same as #4's. They just have a #5 nib installed.

Regards,
Allan

#16 harrison

harrison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:55 PM

Thanks much for your info. I've just never seen one before, not even if I google "Wahl metal 6." 

I sincerely believe that my #5's were always #5's because I've picked them up over many years from miscellaneous places. Seems like it would be quite a coincidence if they they weren't original. It's interesting that the barrel and cap are the same as the #4. I'll continue to search for a #6 of my own.

Harrison

#17 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:43 PM

I would suspect you are right in saying that the #5 nibs are original.  Perhaps it was an option from the dealers to get a larger nib. The pens are known and cataloged as 2, 4, and 6 size, however.  The #6 pens are quite rare, although they were in the 1928 catalog. The only ones known are in the Greek Key pattern.

Regards,
Allan

#18 harrison

harrison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:11 AM

Now if I could just find a full sized Lakeside with the blue enamel...

Also looking for the ladies  color enameled in pink and in blue. I've got orange over sterling and green on gfm.

It's not owning every pattern that is the goal, but it's fun to try to complete sets that are doable(unlike Parker overlays).

I'm betting a greek key #6 is easier than a snake.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users