• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Paul M

Paul M

journeyman

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:20 AM

There are and have been a whole series of sales listed on ebay in recent weeks, like this one:

and from the same seller humanosaidinternational0784

He / they have been selling on ebay for several years under different accounts, all claiming to be a educational charity.

What caught my attention this time is the claim on their many listings that all the pens come from generous donors who have been collecting in Central Park, NY - the names of these generous Polish sounding donors are usually included in the listing heading. All these donated pens appear to be English models (is this likely in NY???) 

I then did a quick search on the Scottish Charity website, and find that the charity does indeed exist, and that the registered accounts for the two years they have been submitted show that there expenses  (approx £23k) more or less match their income (and seem remarkably low for a charity selling so frequently on the bay).

Anyone with more time than I, or greater knowledge of Scottish charity law, able to comment?

#2 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:44 AM

I've rightly or wrongly viewed the several incarnations with some suspicion, hence have no personal experience with them. Still in all fairness there seems little factual basis for my suspicions, I'll be interested to hear from any who have dealt with them.

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#3 Parcival

Parcival

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:45 AM

I bought lot of German pens from this seller and I was very happy with the purchase.

#4 Peterg

Peterg

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 03:24 PM

I've bought various bits of them over the years including a CS 475 and Parker pen clip recently. Their items tend to be very parts or 'user grade'. That said, I've had no problems returning items when they have not matched their description.

My only beef is their use of special delivery for such low value items and even higher P&P charge - but they are up front with these costs.

#5 tmenyc

tmenyc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 03:29 PM

Well, other than the fact there is no actual town, or city called Central Park, New York ... David lives within a couple of blocks of it when he's in NYC, and I work less than a block from it, and I'm pretty sure there aren't any addresses within it, so I think I can say with some assurance that that part is a fiction.  It's a big park. 

On a second level, I'm not at all versed in Scottish charity law, but do know American nonprofit law pretty well, both federal and New York State, having been a nonprofit executive for most of my career. It's actually pretty complicated to function as a foreign charity in the US, which is why most multinational charities have American subsidiaries or fellow organizations to operate here.  So, I'd guess that part is as fictional as the address.  

At least there is one data point here to assure that their pens are for real. 

Tim

#6 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:33 PM

I have purchased from this seller, the items tend to be user grade or even worse, however you do get what you buy with no issues. Oddly, this seller has actually purchased some pens from me on e-bay !

I have some doubt if these really are charitable in their objectives but that is no reason to be suspicious of what has been a straight seller in terms of e-bay.

#7 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, England

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:26 PM

I have bought two items from this organisation: a Wyvern 202 which was exactly as described, and a De La Rue 33 nib which is magnificent (and was very cheap for what it is) so I have no complaints at all.

Cob

#8 Paul M

Paul M

journeyman

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:56 PM

I have bought two items from this organisation: a Wyvern 202 which was exactly as described, and a De La Rue 33 nib which is magnificent (and was very cheap for what it is) so I have no complaints at all.

Cob

My issue with this outfit is not the items, which seem to be more or less as described, but their continued claim to be an international charity registered in Scotland. Given the years they have traded on ebay (under various names) I struggle to see how their annual income can only amount to  £23k, with their company expenses being pretty much the same. This would suggest:

a. little is going to charitable purposes, as little is left after administrative costs

b. the accounts do not accurately reflect the trading of a outfit that appears to have been in operation and claiming charitable purpose for more than the two years they have been registered.

#9 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, England

Posted 25 November 2014 - 11:00 PM

Yes I suppose  was a bit off-topic!

From what you say, this looks like the sort of thing that one might find "In The Back" in Private Eye.

Cob

#10 Widget

Widget

journeyman

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:51 AM

Well, I hope they are a charity. I bought 3 pen caps described as no cracks and the 1 I wanted (Waterman 100 year) had 3 cracks in the top. I messaged to tell them to check more carefully and was offered a refund but felt mean spirited as it was a charity and kept the caps even though I couldn't use or sell. I think I paid about £45 but I could be wrong as it's a while ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users