10 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:38 PM

I was able to offer images of all 11 colors of the Wahl-Eversharp Purse Pen series (catalogued 1932) in an article back around 2004 for Stylus Magazine, but my own pursuit of examples of some of the funky colors for my own collection has been slow going. What I called the Type 4 colors (those offered by only by Wahl and only in this series), Canton, India and Borneo are very hard to find. Long ago I scored a blue Canton set. I've never owned Borneo. This week via Ebay I finally found India Pearl.

It arrived today.

wahl_pursepen_indiapearl950a.jpg

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Glenn

Glenn

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:17 AM

Very nice David, I watched that one knowing it would get up there. I saw one of these last year that was lime green as its base colour and it went high too, very pretty pens, you havent got a photo handy of all the colours do you?

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 November 2014 - 07:23 PM

Hi Glenn,

The green/yellow is Borneo Pear .  As tough to find as the India Pearl and more often found with cracks. I wrote article in 2004 for Stylus Magazine and showed all 11 colors, some from my collection, some from other collections (eg. Cliff Harrington's) and some literally by Photoshopping pens using images from other pens in proper color. Effort, that was.

I'll have to hunt the pic. Should be able to find it this week.

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#4 Glenn

Glenn

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:35 PM

Thanks David much appreciated.

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:34 PM

Glenn, here's a quite rough shot, taken from a PDF from Stylus Magazine of the then pending article

pursepens_rough_styluspreview2.jpg

regards

David

Posted Image

#6 Glenn

Glenn

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:39 PM

David,Thank you for posting that, absolutely stunning colours, they were obviously very limited in their release, or there would be more of them about. A shame they didn't include all those colours in the Doric range.

I think that the red (flamingo?) lower left and the three colours above, gold and green, black and pearl and the green and black (Kashmir) plus the plain black were used in the Doric range as I have seen Dorics that look like those colours. 

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:10 PM

David,Thank you for posting that, absolutely stunning colours, they were obviously very limited in their release, or there would be more of them about. A shame they didn't include all those colours in the Doric range.

I think that the red (flamingo?) lower left and the three colours above, gold and green, black and pearl and the green and black (Kashmir) plus the plain black were used in the Doric range as I have seen Dorics that look like those colours. 

Hi,

These formally were part of the Equi-Poised series, though a somewhat focused-feature subset.  I wrote an overview of Equi-Poised for the Few Fountain Pen Journal (still time to subscribe). Equi-Poised from this generation routinely saw Black, Jade, Black/Pearl, Kashmir. Flamingo only used for the  4 slender non Gold Seal pens.

Black and Kashmir were used for the Doric. Though a few Black and Pearl Dorics are known, they are off catalogue and very rare.

Link Fountain Pen Journal

fountainpenjournal_issue1.1a720.jpg

regards

david

Posted Image

#8 Glenn

Glenn

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 01:28 PM

I have a lot to learn, but hey, that's what a hobby is about. signed up for the mag last night.

thanks David

#9 penpalace

penpalace

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:18 AM

That's a great pen David. I am attempting to buy sparingly for my own collection but couldn't resist bidding on the pen too. I think you did quite well!

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:39 AM

Thanks Pearce. I put together a massive pen cabinet this week. Sorting  boxes of slotter trays into the new storage.  Trying to get organized for sales. Pens everywhere. Yet I still cannot resist buying occasional pen for my own collection. So it goes...

regards

d

Posted Image

#11 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:20 PM

There were 12 colors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users