#1 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:27 AM

Hi folks!

Long time since I have been on this site; I am out and about finding great pens on buying trips, and doing lots of repairs. 

I found these two Diamond Metal pens; weird filling systems, I have no idea how they work. Any suggestions? I was going to scrap the nibs, but then I said "Someone would know what the story is, or want them" so I decided to ask here and find out.

Let me know, thanks!

Greg Minuskin

greg@gregminuskin.com

www.gregminuskin.com

gallery_7078_470_8854.jpggallery_7078_470_89914.jpggallery_7078_470_102338.jpg

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:33 AM

Hi Greg,

I assume Diamond Medal not Diamond Metal.

The brand/label was owned by Sears, the pens made for it (rebadged) by Barrett/National and Parker at least.

I suspect this is late 1930s, possibly the post-Parker era, though I've not examined this particular style pen. Possibly made again by Barrett/National, though I'd be most interested to know if Parker parts from Vacumatic/Challenger fit (cap /blindcap close successfuly on barrel).

I have no idea how to fix the filler.  I'll ping some repair guys.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:55 AM

Dear David,

Yes, I was too fast in the typing, sorry! Diamond Medal!

Interesting history, and perhaps worthy of repair too.

Thanks David; I look forward to hearing from the "folks" out there on this filling system.

Sincerely,

Greg 

www.gregminuskin.com

greg@gregminuskin.com

#4 Richard

Richard

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 01:40 AM

This is a modified Post (pull, or syringe) filler. The plunger is partially collapsible to allow a larger reservoir with a shorter blind cap.

signature_richard.png

Click to send emailrichard@richardspens.com

#5 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:51 AM

Thanks Richard!

So, is it repairable, or do I just scrap the nibs, and toss the pens away?

Greg

#6 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:38 AM

Worthy of more than scrap as an example of an unusual filler.

#7 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:10 AM

This is a modified Post (pull, or syringe) filler. The plunger is partially collapsible to allow a larger reservoir with a shorter blind cap.

OK, I'm intrigued. Richard, how do you push the plunger back down, without spewing out all the ink?

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#8 Mike Hosea

Mike Hosea

journeyman

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:37 AM

The blind caps are still quite long.  I would expect the only thing you push back in after filling is the inner rod.

#9 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:55 AM

Both would appear to be National products. Scraping them would be a true waste and given their general appears and unusual filling system something well worth avoiding !! Unfortunately I suspect the uniqueness and $ may not "spiritually" aline...

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#10 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

The original 'Improved Post' pens were the first pens marketed by (the original) Conway Stewart in the UK, in 1905. They were found either with metal rods or vulcanite (hard rubber) rods. I have one of the latter examples, a little bit tired but with a lovely original gold 'Post no. 6' nib.

1930s seems a surprisingly late revival for these.

Andy

#11 Ron Z

Ron Z

Advisor

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:48 PM

Think of it as a hypodermic syringe attached to the back of a section.  To fill, you pull the plunger back, and it stays back until you go to fill it again.  The shaft of the plunger sticks out, so the blind cap has to be quite long to cover it.  The ink capacity is half the barrel length, at best, and usually less.  Some Morrison pens used this system, and it's often found on lower end pens.

The point of the telescoping plunger is that you can push the filler all of the way down, but it can be collapsed so that you don't have as much to hide under the blind cap.  You get more than half the length of the barrel to hold ink.

Most likely the plunger seal will need to be replaced.  How easy it is to repair depends in part on how they attached the reservoir to the section, and how they attached the seal to the plunger.

Posted Image
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Visit Main Street Pens

The Blue Fingers Blog is live! Ramblings and musings (and occasional repair tips) from the bench.

#12 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for these great answers! I can remove easily the aluminum filling systems using a Parker 51 diaphragm tool, so they are not stuck inside the barrels. Looks like a rubber plunger as Ron said on the other end. The tips of the aluminum are "springy" with some sort of inner spring in them. 

Anyone who wants them, make me an offer, thanks!

Greg

greg@gregminuskin.com

www.gregminuskin.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users