1 reply to this topic

#1 jonro

jonro

journeyman

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:04 PM

The Vac-FIl Sheaffers often have transparent windows to view the ink level. Are there any inks that would stain that "clearish" celluloid? I often use Noddler's Black, Sailor Carbon Nano Black and Private Reserve and Diamine Blues. I haven't thought about this being an issue in the past, but I have noticed a couple of converters with some staining.

#2 Mike Hosea

Mike Hosea

journeyman

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 11:03 PM

Noodler's Black and Sailor Kiwa Guro will not stain, but they tend to leave a residue over time.  IME, an inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner will take it off if you can't get to it to wipe it off.  The only PR ink that I use is Electric DC Blue, and I've not known it to stain anything.  Some of the Diamine Blues, however, might have that potential.  Sargasso Sea has been complained about, and I've noted Sapphire Blue and Royal Blue to leave a stubborn tint behind on converters that can require a bit more than the usual flushing solution to remove.  Both will tint a sample vial blue.  None of this means that they will stain celluloid in particular, though--the type of plastic matters.  Also, the grease inside the barrel might retain some of the ink.  You might call that a "pseudo-stain".  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users