• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:23 PM

I have a Parker 51 Special (Aero fill, as they all are) that will only take up ink on the first squeeze of the filler. Subsequent squeezes expell the ink just taken up and then suck it back in. I thought I better ask before pulling it apart. Is this the result of a clogged breather tube?

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#2 D Armstrong

D Armstrong

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:43 PM

A qualified "yes". Don't forget that the breathing assembly includes the feed, so make sure you check that too. An ultrasonic works wonders, as does ammonia water.

David Armstrong
--
www.restorersart.com
• Antiques for Readers & Writers •
--

www.scriptustoronto.com

• Toronto's Pen & Writing Show •

--
www.sevanti-letterpress.com
• Guaranteed Fountain Pen Friendly •

#3 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 02:06 AM

Sounds good. Thanks!

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

#4 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:08 AM

Would favor the breather tube being disconneted from the feed rather than it being plugged.

#5 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:20 AM

I agree with Farmboy; disconnected breather tube for you are only filling to the end of the feed, and not to the top of the breather tube.

Had a similar situation on the pens I am preparing/restoring for the L.A. Pen Show now, pen could not fill past one squeeze of the bladder. Took apart the feed that touches the nib to the collector and the tube was full of holes, and broken; see photos below.

What causes this? Caustic ink!

gallery_7078_477_142523.jpggallery_7078_477_67465.jpggallery_7078_477_108427.jpg

Greg Minuskin

www.gregminuskin.com

greg@gregminuskin.com

#6 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:22 PM

Thanks FarmBoy and Greg. I'll check on a disconnected breather tube. Hopefully that's it, and it's not swiss cheese like the one in Greg's photo. Looks like that one had too much Superchrome in the '50s.

John Danza

#7 Mike Hosea

Mike Hosea

journeyman

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:05 PM

All the ones I've seen so far that weren't corroded, at least a little bit, were in pens that looked like they hadn't seen much use.  David Nishimura's replacements are good.  I've made a few with some stainless steel tube that I happen to have, but I don't have a good set-up for drilling the little hole in the side (though I managed it).

Edited by Mike Hosea, 01 January 2015 - 07:09 PM.

#8 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:03 PM

All the ones I've seen so far that weren't corroded, at least a little bit, were in pens that looked like they hadn't seen much use.  David Nishimura's replacements are good.  I've made a few with some stainless steel tube that I happen to have, but I don't have a good set-up for drilling the little hole in the side (though I managed it).

The 'modern' way of drilling the hole is to not drill it but punch it in place with a laser, easy to do while you cut the slit and cut to lenght...if you have a laser.

If not, I recommend going the easy route and ordering them.

Alternatively you can make a jig to hold the tube and guide the drill bit at the same time. If I go to the shop, I'll take a picture of the one I used.

T

#9 Mike Hosea

Mike Hosea

journeyman

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:40 PM

If not, I recommend going the easy route and ordering them.

Yeah, the only reason I made them was that when I was ready to order them, it was just before the DC show, which I wasn't going to.  David was already gone.  Patience isn't my strong suit.  If I knew what was good for me, I'd have ordered three last time.  But every one is supposedly my "last" one.   :)

Edit:  David N. can thank this discussion for the order I just placed for various parts, including, finally, 3 "51" breather tubes.

Edited by Mike Hosea, 01 January 2015 - 10:49 PM.

#10 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 03 January 2015 - 05:57 AM

Thanks FarmBoy and Greg. I'll check on a disconnected breather tube. Hopefully that's it, and it's not swiss cheese like the one in Greg's photo. Looks like that one had too much Superchrome in the '50s.

Glad I can help, and show my swiss cheese breather tube photos :-) 

Greg Minuskin

www.gregminuskin.com

greg@gregminuskin.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users