• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bisbob

bisbob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:12 AM

I have been looking for directions/guidance on posting pens for sale. I assume I am just missing something very obvious.

I have two (2) Sheaffer Triumph Crest lever fill pens for sale. See photos.

I just recently had them restored. Then I asked if anyone knew the model. I was told Sheaffer Triumph Crest II, and also Sheaffer Triumph Crest Deluxe.

So I asked Sheaffer. Sheaffer told me to go ask a professional. Yeah.

One response I got was:  "The Crest II has the white dot on the barrel instead of the cap.  The Crest Deluxe has the dot on the barrel. The cap on the Deluxe is slightly more elongated than the rounder one on the II.  I see a seam line on the cap of the II that I don't see on the Deluxe/  

These are two different pens although the differences are not great.  I think the Deluxe is a bit slimmer and has the "window" in the section. "

So neither pen has a dot anywhere, So I conclude they are "plain vanilla" Sheaffer Triumph Crest pens.

1. Are there instructions somewhere for listing pens for sale?
2. Does anyone have any more data on these pens?
3. I will probably list them for $150 each. Is that too high? Too low?

Thanks for any help.
Sorry if this is the wrong forum to pose these questions.

Attached Files

#2 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:29 AM

I'm weak on this period of Sheaffer but, not $150 more like under $100 (I was going to say $50).  I know it cost you something to restore them but, you should know what a pen is worth before you restore it to see if it makes sense.  Lever fillers just need sacs and cleaned - I would have done this myself and saved the charge because I'm guessing "$50!  I'm not even getting much over what I paid to restore them."  OK.

As for listing for sale look and see how others have done it and you should be able to follow their example.

Roger W.

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:37 AM

Charge what you want. The market will speak. For restored pens with year warranty with no dings at all in cap, I'd be charging more than $150, but that is retail in a slightly different context. Unrestored, flawed, non-retail setting can see lower prices.

The pens look to be post-WWII, pre-1951 Crest Deluxe, possibly found with "1750" imprint on barrel for $17.50 cost. I cannot offhand wholly exclude the slightly shorter thinner Crest, proper "1500" $15 pen.

Location of dot is not a model thing but an era thing. Prior to part-way through 1948, Sheaffer could not/did not put White Dots into metal caps, so metal capped pens (gold-filled Crests, steel-capped Sentinels) had the White dot on barrel, generally at very butt.  If your pen has metal cap without White Dot and lacks White Dot on butt of pen, it is a parts mix.

At rough glance your pens date to late 1945-mid 1948. The Crest Deluxe is a bit bigger than the Crest.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 bisbob

bisbob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:32 AM

Yes, i forgot to mention the 1750 engraved on each pen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users