5 replies to this topic

#1 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:09 AM

I recently picked up this nice Mandarin Senior Duofold pencil in an eBay lot, and thought I'd share some eye candy of it next to my other two pencils of similar size and shape.  The reason for the quotes in the topic title is because the other two aren't really technically "Senior Duofold" pencils.  In fact, I don't even think the mandarin is the usual imprint.

16212822260_58cbacd3ed_b.jpg

#2 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:14 AM

As far as I know, the question of whether or not the pencil is a "Senior" is about size - not about the imprint on the barrel. It's true that Parker did, on it's early pens and pencils imprint "SR" and "JR".  But they didn't really continue with that for long. If your pencils are of the proper length and girth, they are seniors.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#3 AZuniga

AZuniga

journeyman

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:24 PM

Some more with and without the SR / JR , and the Mandarin is written in the opposite direction.

gallery_3716_451_137204.jpg

#4 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:39 PM

As far as I know, the question of whether or not the pencil is a "Senior" is about size - not about the imprint on the barrel. It's true that Parker did, on it's early pens and pencils imprint "SR" and "JR".  But they didn't really continue with that for long. If your pencils are of the proper length and girth, they are seniors.

Allan, I understand your position, but I'm not sure I agree completely with it.  Is the jade pencil really a Duofold?  I believe this pencil would have been matched with a black tipped jade Lucky Curve, not marked Duofold.  Is the orange Big Bro pencil really a Senior?  In the advertisement I have for it, it says the pencil is to match an "Oversize" Duofold.  Besides, the pencil is built slightly differently at the crown end, is a little bit shorter, and definitely has its own model name, the "Big Bro."

#5 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:42 PM

Parker was wary of putting the Duofold name on the jade pens and pencils at first - so you are technically correct about that one. Of course, they later changed their mind and did label them as such. I still contend that a pen or pencil does not have to explicitly say "Sr" to be one.  In fact, I don't think any of the Duofold pens actually say Senior on them.  Some of the Jr's have the "JR" imprint, but some don't. 

"Big Bro" was on the early pencils (I think just the orange ones - but not sure). That doesn't keep it from being a Sr sized pencil. As for the crown, there were several different styles used. Since I have an orange Big Bro with a longer crown, I don't think the shorter one is necessarily associated with the "Big Bro" pen. My Mandarin has a shorter crown.  The fact is that most pen companies weren't terribly consistent with their names and imprints, especially when a line of pens is just getting started.

Edited by Procyon, 30 January 2015 - 10:43 PM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#6 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:13 PM

In fact, I don't think any of the Duofold pens actually say Senior on them.

I think you're right about that one.  I'm not trying to create any contention, just being a bit philosophical.  Also, I'm pretty certain there are black Big Bro pencils.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users