#1 boogit

boogit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 March 2015 - 04:18 PM

Hi
I picked this pen up at the auction in Columbus and cannot find any pics or reference to this model of the Mercantile. Most seem to be made much earlier and none have brilliant colouring like this one
The Imprint is:
Mercantile
Aiken-Lambert New York
Made in USA
What have I got ? Is this a uncommon or rare model ? The colours are Outstanding
All comments appreciated
Keith

Attached Files

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:10 PM

Lovely pen. Note "Aikin" not "Aiken".  I have the same at home in gem shape with clip. Probably dates to early 1930s or so. Aikin at this time had long been owned by Waterman and was treated as a somewhat 2nd-tier sub-brand by that famous make. These pens to me evoke the Waterman 52 bandless hard rubber pens, but of course in some wild plastics, with Aikin markings and with generally somewhat small nib.  One of the wild-color pens such as yours (different color though) turned up with Waterman markings and sold for high price at the Washington DC Pen Show perhaps 8 years ago. Your color but with a cap-band was  model/style 348 in the 1932 pamphlet. When home in couple weeks I'll shoot my pen.

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 boogit

boogit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:24 AM

Thanks David very helpful as always
Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic