4 replies to this topic

#1 johnmc2

johnmc2

journeyman

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Plymouth, New Zealand

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:56 PM

I've just fixed up a New Style Duofold, it has a Sheaffer nib which writes well but looks a little small for the pen.  I would like to fit a more original nib if possible.  

I've seen a few AFs with 35 nibs, which is supposedly the senior size.  I understand that the NS would have had an un-numbered nib but does it take the same size as the later aerometric standard/demis or the seniors?

Thanks for any ideas

John

#2 Wardok

Wardok

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:08 PM

Hi John

Here is a picture of various NS, Seniors, standards and Demis.gallery_355_361_315289.jpg[/URL]

From left to right

NS N nib

NS 35 nib - may be a fraction smaller, but not by much

NS 30 nib - looks a bit small

Senior 35 nib - as previous 35

Demi N nib - smaller than the 30

Std 25 nib - between the Demi N and the 30

Demi N nib

Demi N nib

The NS N nib looks like an unusually broad shouldered version - others I have are narrower. An AF nib looks to be very similar to the NS nib.

Hope this helps, this is the best I can do without pulling all of the nibs

Simon

Edited by Wardok, 31 March 2015 - 11:11 PM.

#3 johnmc2

johnmc2

journeyman

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:20 AM

Thanks Simon, that is exactly what I was after.  Do you think that the 35 and 30 nibs in the NS pens are replacements?  I base this question on the fact that the numbered nibs seem to have been introduced after the aerometric pens, like you I have a few aeros with N nibs and some with numbers.  

Thanks again

John

#4 Wardok

Wardok

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:24 PM

John

I'm certain they are replacements. Quite a lot of NS seem to have them though - normally 35s - I'm not sure I have ever seen another 30.

According to David Shepherd's Duofold book the NS was made from 1946 to 1948 when it was replaced by the AF. This was replaced by the std / demi in 1953 and it was only in 1958 when the Maxima was introduced that they changed from the Newhaven N nibs to the numbered nibs.

Simon

#5 johnmc2

johnmc2

journeyman

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:39 PM

Simon

Thanks for the further info. I haven't seen a 30 nib before on any pen but that's hardly surprising in our tiny market down here.  

If the numbered nibs only came in with the Maxima, does that mean the Senior continued past 1958?  I understood from the parkerpens website that the Senior was replaced by the Maxima. Interesting.

There is an earlier thread about Parker nib numbers, started by my fellow-countryman, here but it makes no mention of the New Style pens.

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users