• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:02 AM

When I was a kid (I'm 63), I remember browsing Bennett Bros catalogs at my grandfather's Ford garage.  For a kid in a small town, it had an amazing range of products via mail order.  What I can't now figure out is why did people buy from Bennett if the catalog price was higher than list price, even when bought by the dozen?

gallery_151_19_309696.jpg

gallery_151_19_199645.jpg

Same dealer has a page showing NORMA and Tripoint pencils, also for more than list price.  Two of the pens on the first page above show the wrong model plus the "large" pen on the far left was not made in black, by the way.

Edited by matt, 31 March 2015 - 04:07 AM.

#2 Peterg

Peterg

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:22 PM

It is probably because they have provided a catalogue from which you can see what is available, could order and, usually, pay off over time.

Without the catalogue how would those living in the back of beyond know where to buy those products and, in the absence of easy payment terms be able to afford them?

I remember when I was younger catalogues were big business and an agent would come around to collect the weekly instalment/ new orders. Avon cosmetices still operate on that basis, but most were killed off by credit cards, discount stores and the expansion of retailing - not to mention the internet.

#3 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:32 PM

Also, The big companies sold to authorized dealers.  Bennett Brothers is a way to get a group of items I imagine still cheaper that retail.  I think you are under the impression that just anybody could buy direct from Sheaffer and their catalog prices applied to everyone - they did not.

Roger W.

#4 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:34 PM

What I can't now figure out is why did people buy from Bennett if the catalog price was higher than list price, even when bought by the dozen?

I think the key is the line at the top of each page: "List Prices Subject to Catalog Discount -- See Page 1A".

Will bet you anything that that discount brought the prices down to manufacturer's recommended retail or less.

#5 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:53 AM

May have required a big purchase, as the dozen discount is still above list price.

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:47 AM

Hi Matt,

A terrific ad, one of very few bits of paper that shows the deluxe line open, with two-tone nib showing.  I've seen many catalogues of this sort with a variety of pens seemingly priced higher than the usual retail stickered price.  I'm not at all sure the pens actually were offered at those higher prices. Could the "suggested retail" which is the usual retail price have been the actual price, the higher price being artificial to offer the sop of a "discount" to customers?

regards

david

(Edit:  looks like the same suggestion was made a couple posts above).

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#7 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:24 AM

Was it because these pens were student grade, that they did not offer broad tips? I see only extra fine, fine, and medium nibs offered.

Greg Minuskin

www.gregminuskin.com

greg@gregminuskin.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users