• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:17 PM

These were a popular discussion item on Zoss years ago and are available again if you have a nearby Costco.  Not oak, not great quality (compared to a Gerstner), but reasonable cost.  $5 more plus shipping if ordering online.

gallery_151_19_1392203.jpg

Edited by matt, 10 April 2015 - 10:47 PM.

#2 Peterg

Peterg

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:14 AM

Found it on the Costco UK site but then they took it down.

#3 Pensee

Pensee

journeyman

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:53 PM

Old topic-- I should stop by more often.

Looks pretty cool though.

Other than the obvious-- an attractive pen stash-- what's it used for?

I have this mental picture of a pen sellers lugging heaven knows what through airport security when they fly to LA or DC.

"You want to carry that onto the plane?  OK, but there will a be a $1000 fee.  Now please remove your shoes."

Seriously, I'm curious now.  How do pen sellers travel with all those pens?

A photo of Dr. "i" comes to mind.  He's in a jacket lined with dozens of vacs.  "Psst!  Hey kid...   Wanna buy a pen?"  :)

best

--Bruce

#4 Norm

Norm

journeyman

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:55 PM

It isn't a travel box. It is more of a place to store a lot of pens at home.  The design is based on a Machinist Tool chest and can be used to store a lot of things other than pens. I have two made from oak. One belonged to my dad. He was a railroad machinist.  They are too heavy to carry around.  I made the mistake of taking one to a pen club meeting one time and had to take a hand truck to tote it around. 

Edited by Norm, 26 May 2015 - 06:57 PM.

#5 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:39 AM

BTW, since the topic is up again: the Costco web site has these now for $39.99 with free shipping. A friend purchased one and said it is of much better quality than the version from Harbor Freight. It doesn't have to be the end-all, be-all case for me, since $40 for a reasonably good-looking and well-made storage case is a pretty easy choice for me right now.

#6 Norm

Norm

journeyman

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:50 PM

The ones made by Gerstner are so expensive, it looks like it would be worth the box + membership cost for that alone.

#7 Pensee

Pensee

journeyman

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 29 May 2015 - 12:24 AM

Hmmm... Might look into membership at Costco.

Thanks for update.

Down to maybe a dozen pens that are actually collectable, so no need there, but... 

When I play electronics tech or "tinker" with things to fix them-- looks perfect for old medical / dental instruments, brushes, jeweler's screwdrivers, etc.  

Hate a cluttered workbench.  : ) 

#8 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:09 AM

Mine just came today, but I just got home from jury duty, and haven't unpacked. A number of my pals in the Pen Posse got them, and give thumbs up to the quality (especially over the old Harbor Freight clones).

#9 Diabolical_Engineer

Diabolical_Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:33 AM

I've had mine for a month or two. It's a nice box and reasonably well constructed. I think I paid 60 or 70 for mine and it's an even better deal for $40.

-Eric

#10 Norm

Norm

journeyman

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 12:17 PM

Here in K.C.Ks. Costco is at 95th and I-35.  My exit from I-35 is 119th st. so it isn't far from here and I've been driving past it for the 3+ years since I moved back home. For $39, it became too tempting to pass up anymore. On Wed. I decided to join and bought one too.  I already have two Gerstner's and an antique spool cabinet but could use another.  It is nice.  I am not sure it's made out of real wood.  It is some kind of wood product but not solid wood.  It doesn't matter though. It seems well constructed and holds it's own in the looks dept. next to the others. 

#11 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:21 AM

Like the others, I'm impressed by the quality/price ratio. I was especially surprised that the drop-down front piece, as well as the main latch, sit in place by virtue of embedded magnets. All in all, quite a bargain. I'll have to put in an order for some of Gary's pen tray inserts.

#12 dkjackson

dkjackson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationUpper Hudson Valley, NY

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:28 PM

I just ordered mine online, free shipping, $40.

#13 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:53 PM

Here's the other thing: at the moment, it is the perfect size for me.

When I got interested in pens about 5 years ago, I never did it with the intention of building a large collection. I've managed to, in that time, find my areas of interest, both in pens to use, and pens to value as intrinsic items of interest. I have a few smaller and dedicated display/storage options, and once this box is all kitted out, I'll have something just north of 100 or so pens that I can store in good conditions and have ready access. That, at this point in my life, is just fine.

#14 csikora

csikora

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:52 PM

Occasionally, these show up at Princess Auto (in Canada) for around $40.    They hold WAY more than 100 pens.

IMG_7223a.jpg

#15 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:13 AM

They hold WAY more than 100 pens.

Stored in that manner, yes, I can see how. I probably won't go that direction, though.

#16 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 June 2015 - 04:47 AM

They hold WAY more than 100 pens.

Stored in that manner, yes, I can see how. I probably won't go that direction, though.

Yeah, stored like that, you may as well use a cardboard box.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#17 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 June 2015 - 04:52 AM

I bought one of the Harbor Freight Tool Chests a while back.  I think I like their drawer arrangement a little better, and I think the wood is a bit more attractive than on the Costco item. However, I haven't really compared them, and I think I paid a bit more for my chest, so the Costco chest does look like a good buy.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#18 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:52 AM

I bought one of the Harbor Freight Tool Chests a while back.  I think I like their drawer arrangement a little better, and I think the wood is a bit more attractive than on the Costco item. However, I haven't really compared them, and I think I paid a bit more for my chest, so the Costco chest does look like a good buy.

Allan, I just have to say, it isn't much comparison - the Costco is much better construction, somewhat in inverse proportion to the price difference. I'm quite pleased with my purchase.

BTW: there was a hilarious thing go down today over at FPG. This Costco box had been shown over there a couple weeks ago, and today a guy put up two separate threads for "pen boxes". What he had was one Harbor Freight, one Costco, and he had put pen trays in the bottom drawers. He showed pics with ink bottles in other places, even had a drawer with rings in it (as in jewelry). After going through all the trouble to cut two pen trays to fit, he was now offering each of these boxes at the low, low price of ... $400.00!

GTFO, I say.

#19 Earthdawn

Earthdawn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:17 AM

Allan, I just have to say, it isn't much comparison - the Costco is much better construction, somewhat in inverse proportion to the price difference. I'm quite pleased with my purchase.

BTW: there was a hilarious thing go down today over at FPG. This Costco box had been shown over there a couple weeks ago, and today a guy put up two separate threads for "pen boxes". What he had was one Harbor Freight, one Costco, and he had put pen trays in the bottom drawers. He showed pics with ink bottles in other places, even had a drawer with rings in it (as in jewelry). After going through all the trouble to cut two pen trays to fit, he was now offering each of these boxes at the low, low price of ... $400.00!

GTFO, I say.

Yea I just saw that over there... pretty sad to say the least.

Ill be at CostCo Friday to pick one up ;)

#20 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 09:33 PM

I didn't know whether to put this here or in the mini-focus-collection thread. :)

Anyway, I don't *always* cheap out on things, but I kept going over in my mind the layout of the drawers and how to maximize any of the pen trays I would purchase. I saw a thread over there about the boxes and using card stock, folded, to line the drawers. Experimented a bit, settled on 1/2" folds, got some nice light gray card stock from a local art store and - bing! - was done in a little while. Here's a shot of one of the large drawers to give an idea. Also illustrates how I need to find just 5 more Moores (one is in restoration queue):

IPfXksH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users