214 replies to this topic

#1 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:29 PM

A thread was started over at FPN regarding an eBay seller who has been peddling off DJ 51s with reproduction parts on them.  At the very least, they are reproduction tassies.  I suspect that the blind caps are completely reproduction parts.  Anyway, the thread over there got de-railed with other discussions, but I thought it was worthwhile to post this over here.

I wanted to help raise awareness about the possibility of running across these.  They sold for big bucks.  It's important to know what you're buying before you buy it.  A quick look at the tassies can tell you that they are repops if you know what you are looking for.  If you have purchased one of these, I would ask for a refund.

He even managed to sell a Double Jewel Aerometric 51, which he claims was sold for a short period of time in the 50s.

http://www.ebay.com/...n-/151634355269

Here are the DJ Vacumatic 51s he passed off as originals:

http://www.ebay.com/...t-/151635451842

http://www.ebay.com/...J-/151635917723

http://www.ebay.com/...e-/151643091659

Edited by BrianMcQueen, 16 April 2015 - 06:06 PM.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:44 PM

Knowledge is power, though i do feel some sympathy for neos who get rooked.  The "Ebay Bargain" certainly is a conversation unto itself. I commented on this subject on the Geeks thread.

The butts look like Ariel's blind caps.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:57 PM

I wasn't aware of an FP Geeks thread, as I don't play there often.  I went and looked at it, though.  It's really a shame that people get fleeced like this.

Just wanted to share this as a Public Service Announcement.  Knowledge is power, and it can save you a few bucks.

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:15 PM

Yep. This is a good one to share.

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:19 PM

One of the sets is already back on the market by a different seller, here

Edited by sloegin, 16 April 2015 - 07:19 PM.

#6 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:34 PM

One of the sets is already back on the market by a different seller, here

...in a different box.

Also, in this seller's pictures, you can see where the barrel was possibly sanded to fit the new blind cap.

#7 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:23 PM

Looks like the buy bought it for $300 and has BIN for $650.  A quick $350 payday if it pans out - regardless of authenticity.  One of the other pens has a brass aftermarket pump on it, as well as the aftermarket blind cap.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:57 PM

I emailed him.  Now it might get interesting.

-d

Posted Image

#9 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:27 AM

Excellent information on the prevailing fakes that are out there these days. I saw two of these "double jewel" beauties at a local flea market recently, and with my limited knowledge, I kept walking. 20 minutes or so later, a "newbie" to the hobby showed me his "finds." Like telling a small child that their puppy has passed away, I watched this person's eyes well up with crocodile tears, having parted with about $440.00 for the pair of pens he just got rooked on.

Greg Minuskin

www.gregminuskin.com

greg@gregminuskin.com

#10 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:07 PM

I had also contacted him.  I got a response back, thanking me for bringing it to his attention.

He says "I took it down obviously and i am returning it to this guy.  Some people a just unbelievable!"

#11 Reaper

Reaper

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:33 PM

How many fakes do you all think are out there? And what are you all's thoughts on the set In the picture I attached?

Edited by Reaper, 17 April 2015 - 04:43 PM.

#12 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 17 April 2015 - 03:40 PM

That one looks pretty real to me, Reaper.  And NICE CAPS!

The difference in the fakes is the shape of the blind cap tassie.  The reproductions just aren't the same.  They only have two ridges instead of three.

Also, you're pretty much only likely to see black ones being faked.  I don't think anyone's been able to match the other colors well.  However, you will see reproduction pieces in OTHER colors, ones not originally used by Parker.  You have to be careful of those, too.

#13 Reaper

Reaper

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:39 PM

Thanks Brian.. Check these out..

#14 Reaper

Reaper

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

Brian what do you think of these, 

Edited by Reaper, 17 April 2015 - 09:49 PM.

#15 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:50 PM

That's an amazing first 3 posts!

#16 Reaper

Reaper

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:52 PM

How about these caps?

Edited by Reaper, 17 April 2015 - 05:29 PM.

#17 Reaper

Reaper

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:35 PM

:)

Edited by Reaper, 17 April 2015 - 06:50 PM.

#18 Reaper

Reaper

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:49 PM

Reviewing those DJ pens yea a mistake on the part of the 1st sellers description because actually what i see is 16K GF Caps Chevron bands.. nice quality.. and to anyone in the know the tassie is not correct... but even with the the wrong tassie that Parker 51 set is worth $300-$350.. And the 1st seller does say to use pics as part of description.. Now as far as the person who bought them he knew what he had.. even changing the box to make it look different..Shame on him..  I have made mistakes in my purchase history but through mistakes I have learn.. and found jewels like the few I posted.. 

#19 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:52 PM

Reviewing those DJ pens yea a mistake on the part of the 1st sellers description because actually what i see is 16K GF Caps Chevron bands.. nice quality.. and to anyone in the know the tassie is not correct... but even with the the wrong tassie that Parker 51 set is worth $300-$350.. And the 1st seller does say to use pics as part of description.. Now as far as the person who bought them he knew what he had.. even changing the box to make it look different..Shame on him..  I have made mistakes in my purchase history but through mistakes I have learn.. and found jewels like the few I posted.. 

Probably not worth the $300+. Those tassies generally are found on custom blind caps. These pens likely were not double jewel pens with replacement tassie. They likely were single jewel pens with fake tassied blind caps.

regards

david

Posted Image

#20 Reaper

Reaper

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:59 PM

David, Okay take the blind cap out.. and with the original single jewel.. the set is still worth plus / minus $300.. what i see everything else is original.. But Then for someone to buy them & re list at $650 bin.. 

Edited by Reaper, 17 April 2015 - 06:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users