• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wolffullmoon

wolffullmoon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:14 PM

What is the best way to clean out a Vac prior to changing ink color?

Is it just a lot of thumb work or are there some tips?

Jim

Edited by wolffullmoon, 25 April 2015 - 08:15 PM.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:23 PM

Filling is easier than emptying. A few fills with cool water (partial fill), shake a bit even with pen point up to get the water around the recesses of the sac. then empty including a bit of the "thermometer maneuver" but avoiding the "dart maneuver".

A salad spinner modified to hold the pen has worked for some restorers, aping the Parker Whirlclean from the 1950s.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 wolffullmoon

wolffullmoon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 02:22 PM

David,

Can't commandeer the salad spinner but I'll try a piece of plastic pipe with a paper towel in the bottom and twirl it on the end of a rope. Outside, I think.

Thanks

#4 Mike Hosea

Mike Hosea

journeyman

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 03:17 PM

Sounds like overkill. Also need to avoid the slingshot maneuver and the flail maneuver then. You can empty the pen mostly with the filler mechanism if you press the button slowly and deliberately. You just need the thermometer shake to finish off the emptying process, otherwise, repeated flushing takes forever, progressively diluting the inky water without directly removing. Would understand if arthritis or injury prevent the thermometer shake (been there!). If time is not of the essence, you can let the pen stand in a cup with the nib and feed well covered in paper towels to wick out the inky water. After an hour or so, repeat the flushing and wicking until the water that has wicked out is fairly clear.

#5 Norm

Norm

journeyman

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 03:52 PM

Parker made a spinner to clean out Vacs and had them in stores so people could get them emptied.  I have some success by putting a tissue next to the nib and repeatedly pressing the filler plunger, moving the tissue around to catch the discharge each time.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users