3 replies to this topic

#1 JDW427

JDW427

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:48 PM

What, if any, solvent would be used to weld a small crack in the threads of a Waterman Lady Patricia?  Also, what would be the best way to reattach a small piece of the hard rubber cap lip that has chipped off cleanly?

Thanks, Jordan

#2 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, England

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:35 PM

Of course the problem with solvent welding the threads is that some of the thread will disappear.  You could try opening the crack very gently and fixing it with Liquid Weld which is a fantastic adhesive - a sort of Superglue but much better.  You would have to be very sparing to avoid melting the threads; it will stick your black hard rubber - I have done it on a Swan clip screw -I had to make three attempts but at the finish it was a solid as a rock.

http://www.liquidweldglue.co.uk/

Cob

#3 JDW427

JDW427

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:20 AM

Thanks Cob- the cracks are on the barrel threads, so whatever I do I'll do to the inside of the barrel. I'll look into liquid weld. Thanks again

#4 Cob

Cob

journeyman

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • LocationBerkshire, England

Posted 12 May 2015 - 04:47 PM

I have repaired successfully a pen that had a crack at the threads: first I used liquid weld and then reinforced the repair with Devcon (a clear two pack epoxy). To keep the threads clear, I smeared Vaseline into the cap threads and screwed the cap tight and left it overnight to cure.  The cap unscrewed easily with a little heat and then a bit of work with a thread chaser finished the job.  The section is rock solid in the barrel so I am confident it has been successful.

Cob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users