12 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:42 AM

Had nice time at the Raleigh Pen Show this weekend. One of my collector friends took a table for the first time. Pen sales have been solid of late, per polling of any of us withe sales websites. My friend sold a fair bit more than he had expected. I suspect we have seen the birth of a fresh dealer at the shows
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Madame Stylo

Madame Stylo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationOshawa Ontario

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:01 PM

Always good when someone plays in the "big leagues".  Me?  I still consider myself as a minor league player but I do enjoy sharing a table with my sweetie and the Toronto Scriptus Pen Show.  November 1st. she said, sneaking in a quick plug!  

#3 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:23 PM

For anyone wondering, I'm the new dealer David mentioned.  I finally made the leap to the other side of the table, and I fear there's no going back :P.  I was really happy to connect people with pens  they would enjoy.  I hope to set up in DC and Ohio this year as well, and might do a sale or two here in the Classifieds.

#4 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:37 PM

For anyone wondering, I'm the new dealer David mentioned.  I finally made the leap to the other side of the table, and I fear there's no going back :P.  I was really happy to connect people with pens  they would enjoy.  I hope to set up in DC and Ohio this year as well, and might do a sale or two here in the Classifieds.

I'll be watching. Don't forget: when the weather sucks in most places, there is always LA in February.

#5 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:55 AM

I'll be watching. Don't forget: when the weather sucks in most places, there is always LA in February.

LA weather often sucks even in Feburary, but the weather in San Francisco in August is always good and it pairs well with wine and live music.  Surprised you forgot.

#6 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:59 AM

LA weather often sucks even in Feburary, but the weather in San Francisco in August is always good and it pairs well with wine and live music.  Surprised you forgot.

I didn't. It sounded like he already had this year sown up. I'll work on him, don't worry.

Hey, Brian! What're you doing this August, you know, like the last weekend of the month? Get your butt out to the City by the Bay (or nearby) and have an absolute NUTS of a time selling pens and having fun!!?!! The San Francisco Pen Show rocks so hard it generates new movies with WWF stars and stuff.

#7 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:47 PM

As much as I'd like to, I doubt I'll be able to make a West Coast show.  Maybe ever.  Thanks for the invite, though!

#8 Smokin

Smokin

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:07 PM

Which table were you at? I was overwhelmed so didn't stop at too many. I noticed the "big guys" but stopped and bought a couple Esterbrooks from 2 "smaller" sellers. It was fun. I will go next year.

#9 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:03 AM

My table looked like this:

18218077428_90700b6f84_b.jpg

Well, at least it did on Friday morning.  By the end of the day Sunday, several of these pens were gone!

#10 MxMJ

MxMJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:13 AM

Impressive array of Snorkels! I hope to join you on that side of the table some day, probably at least a few years off though.

#11 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:27 AM

Brian, that is a *nice* touch with the Esterbrook setup. While I've seen online people offer some variety, I don't know I've ever seen anyone do that at a show. (Big deal, I've been to 3 shows!) Nonetheless, a very nice thing to do. 

#12 Madame Stylo

Madame Stylo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationOshawa Ontario

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:36 PM

Brian, I have the same idea when I sell Esterbrooks too, but without the catchy title!  How can we stop being left with a bunch of less desirable nibs though?  I seem to have more than enough 1551s.  I have charged a premium the odd time when I've had a Relief nib, but they are so hard to find.  I'd love to hear your thoughts.  You had a great display, did you let people dip the pens and try them?

#13 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:51 PM

I let people try out any pen they wanted, granted it wasn't a NOS pen.  The way I had mine set up was a base price for the pen with a 1551 or similar nib, and then an upcharge of X dollars for a better nib.  I sold about an even number of more and less desirable nibs.  The Esterbrooks sold well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users