5 replies to this topic

#1 johnmc2

johnmc2

journeyman

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Plymouth, New Zealand

Posted 31 July 2015 - 06:54 AM

Has anyone had any experience in dismantling the nib/feed/section of the Mentmore 46? Tentative attempts to knock it out haven't been too encouraging, and I'm not sure if the threaded part is integral to the rest of the section or is a connector like a Parker 51.

IMG_1940.JPG

#2 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:44 PM

From memory, that is a normal feed and nib. A long soak in water might help it come apart. It's been quite a while since I last worked on one of those.

#3 tmenyc

tmenyc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:37 PM

Also, from memory, I think it was Deb's blog where I learned that it was a normal nib and feed, and I did a couple of them.  I think soaking and ultrasonic worked it loose and I pushed it out south to north.  

Tim

#4 jjlax10

jjlax10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:49 AM

You may need to create a knock out block similar to one for an eversharp 5th avenue.

#5 johnmc2

johnmc2

journeyman

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 06:34 PM

How is that different from a conventional knock-out block?  I haven't made any progress with this pen yet.

#6 johnmc2

johnmc2

journeyman

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:43 AM

In the end I had to knock the feed out in the conventional direction, it came out easily enough, but getting it back in was impossible (I think the unusually long section just gives too much friction on the feed) until I tried putting the nib in position first, then knocking the feed in from the other end.  This worked first time.  OK second time...

All back together again, new #18 sac, fills well and writes beautifully, nice wet medium line.  Could be my new daily user.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users