3 replies to this topic

#1 djohannsen

djohannsen

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationFredericksburg, VA

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:39 PM

Since we're talking about General Manufacturing (at least I was), I thought that I would post a Snapfil that you probably don't see every day.  Here is a salesman's demonstrator, used to demonstrate the functioning of the filling mechanism and inner cap to a potential retailer.  As you would expect of a pen used to demonstrate functioning, I believe that it is correct that this pen has neither nib nor goldfill chain.

gallery_95_542_1145057.jpggallery_95_542_670054.jpg

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:12 AM

Another great pen :)

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:12 AM

Same maker as Houston?

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 djohannsen

djohannsen

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationFredericksburg, VA

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:40 AM

Same maker as Houston?

-d

Depends what you mean by "maker."  Yep, Mr. William Houston was involved.  Mr. Houston founded the Houston Pen Company in Tracy, Minn (pretty sure in 1908, but memory is a bit fuzzy on the details).  In 1912, he  moved to Sioux City, Iowa to be the "manager" of General Manufacturing Company, the maker of the Snapfil pen and Kaligraf pencil (and whose President [or Vice President] was Fred L. Eaton - see my other thread).  Simultaneously, Mr. Houston and Mr. Heftor Sve founded the Jiffy Pen Co as a completely separate enterprise (see my thread here:http://fountainpenbo...jiffy/?hl=jiffy).  Houston pens are also often seen with Sioux City imprint.  Clear as mud?

See what I mean?  It depends on what you mean by "maker."

Edited by djohannsen, 22 August 2015 - 03:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users