• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jjlax10

jjlax10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 09:39 PM

This is the fourth sale I am posting today, and out of all of them, I thank you for looking at this one. Over the past year, I have shall we say, studied the art of nib modification. What follows are pens with nibs I have studied on. Some of them have some aesthetic issues, but all should write appropriately for the particular grind I gave them. I give more information with each pen. If you do purchase one, know that you are helping me begin what I hope will be a lifelong service (I am 32) that I can offer to our community.

Prices include shipping CONUS first class with tracking number. International orders ship or other methods will be additional. I entertain all reasonable offers and love package deals. Please contact me with any questions. Let’s get to it:

21394251209_110d2ac869_c.jpg

21569874022_f4330ebe36_c.jpg

21393115310_d5e9d02c3e_c.jpg

From left to right:

1) Silver Baoer, medium cursive italic. The metal on these Chinese nibs is very soft, and as I was experimenting with shaping the tines, they got a little marred. Should not affect the use of the pen. $25.

2) Black Baoer, medium cursive italic. The nib came out looking better, but the quality of the metal was still an issue. The tip of the tines were taken down a hair too much, but this should not be noticeable unless you look close at it. $25.

3) Silver Jinhao. I don’t remember the model number. Medium cursive italic. During the cuts, the right tine bent due to the quality of the metal. I fixed it, the pen writes, but the price reflects any risk of future problems. $20.

20958387674_a041de62d9_c.jpg

21556306878_b87c6a4a0f_c.jpg

I had to re-photograph this group of pens so they are out of order.

4) Think Iceland, medium stub. This is the blue, black and white pen shown in the two photos above. This has a stub thatI was experimenting with, in that the shape is actually achieved by making the cuts for a cursive italic upside down. The effect is a stub in that the nib has line variation but as much as a true cursive italic, and the nibs writes very smooth. I believe other nib people have been making similar experiments. $75.

5) Think Violino Cremona Pen, medium stub. This is the green woodgrain pen with yellow finials. I love this pen, but its got some issues. It is a nice oversized pen, an interesting acrylic pattern, with what looks to be a custom stamped Bock nib. The rub is that after a fill the pen stops writing. I cannot explain this phenomenon, other than to conclude the feed itself has some defect that cannot be seen. So, what are left with? A nice barrel, section and cap that can accommodate a standard nib assembly, and a working No. 6 nib ground to a stub. $60.

6) Jinhao, unknown model. I got this pen years ago, has a cursive italic that was done all by hand. $25.

21569870112_904755f379_c.jpg

21393118790_bfe9788405_c.jpg

20958388034_1ff8e349cd_c.jpg

7) Appleman Pen, broad nib, between a stub and an italic. This is the beige, brown and translucent flake acrylic oversize pen. This is an experimental pen done by Appleman Chris Hughes. In turn, I used it to experiment on the nib. It a large Schmidt broad that I modified early on, then worked on it further as I started to understand better what I am doing. $95.

8) Yellow Modern Mabie Todd. This is the yellow and silver pen, made under the name Mabie Todd (I believe by the Fountain Pen Hospital). Has a medium stub. SOLD

9) and 10) Fountain Pen Revolution Ebonite Triveni. These are the green and brown ripple pens. Both have broad cursive italic nibs. They slightly rough looking as I was still working on how to finish the CI nibs at the time. The brown has the original FPR nib, the green a Knox nib. The Knox nib is not seating properly, so I will include a spare FPR medium or fine nib. Or I can grind you a CI on a medium or fine FPR nib. Since I don’t have extensive experience with these pens, they are sold as is at a fair price. $40 each.

Edited by jjlax10, 28 September 2015 - 12:43 AM.

#2 jjlax10

jjlax10

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:43 AM

Number 8 is sold

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users