Photo

A color shift or did we have it wrong all along?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:26 PM

I've seen this more in the last few months than usual.

Thoughts?

I've not seen this one before but I could be wrong.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 January 2016 - 11:13 PM

Hi Todd,

Camera/monitor color spaces offer some challenge. Chronic mislabeling of colors on ebay ads offers more  challenge. Mismatched pens and pencils can offer yet more challenge.

Not sure of the questions here.

You certainly know this stuff. But, to explore...

First ad does not show a Nassau aerometric. Second does not show Teal. Notice the pink red cast to the background which might in fact have been white.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:40 AM

You hit it.  In the last month there have been offered on-line no less than 4 SJ Nassau 51s.  That 2 were aerometric and that one had a missing blind cap and that one was inspected by a qualified known 51 person seems not to matter.  Clearly all pens that want to be Nassau are.  Could it be that the secret is out?

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:00 AM

Ebay can be a glorious place, but the path to glory is laden with perils and pitfalls.

Hmmm... perhaps I should copyright that. ;)

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:01 AM

I was wondering about a blindcapless single jewel 51.  I suppose one might ask if a tree falls and there is no one to hear it, does it make a sound?

-d

Posted Image

#6 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:33 PM

Sort of like Schrödinger's cap - it both is and isn't.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#7 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:03 AM

Like an outdoor flea market, everyone has a rare object to sell. Guess that is why the call it "Flea-Bay"

Greg Minuskin

greg@gregminuskin.com

www.gregminuskin.com

#8 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:43 AM

And then there is really off photography. Here are two WASPs from the same seller. First one is a blue circuitboard

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361472000374

And this is a green Screaming Souls in Purgatory

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361471984108

What color is that towel used for the background?!

#9 Russ Jackson

Russ Jackson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:50 PM

Personally I think Parker planned to produce the Vacumatic in the Aerometric colors before the Aerometrics had been developed. I think they made some and scrapped the idea when the filling system for the Aerometric was developed. Thus leaving a small number of these Vacumatics in the new colors available. I say this because I have Aerometrics that are the exact same color as Vacumatics in NOS parts that I know have been in storage together since they were made. 

#10 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:54 AM

Personally I think Parker planned to produce the Vacumatic in the Aerometric colors before the Aerometrics had been developed. I think they made some and scrapped the idea when the filling system for the Aerometric was developed. Thus leaving a small number of these Vacumatics in the new colors available. I say this because I have Aerometrics that are the exact same color as Vacumatics in NOS parts that I know have been in storage together since they were made. 

Evidence suggests the opposite.  Parker produced the replacement parts in Navy and Burgundy when native color parts were no longer available for repairs.  The selection of colors of the Aero filled pens could be a chapter in a book.  There are documented test and experimental pens with very interesting colors that were for some reason rejected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users