• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 06:10 AM

Some time back, Mike Kirk made me aware of the fat-barreled MP-10 pencil after he spotted one on either ebay or etsy.

gallery_151_19_9449.jpg

gallery_151_19_15027.jpg

These have a different barrel shape than the typical nose-drive pencils one usually finds in early Pardners sets or singly.  They're cheaply made, but come in a variety of colors.  The MP-10 has a straight sided barrel for most of its length rather than the usual tapered barrel.  The above MP-10 mentions a J-10 Jotter, but what is a J-10 Jotter?  I just had one of those "oh s**t!" moments when, while looking for something else, I opened these two sets I've had for several years.  Note the regular Jotter at the top for comparison.

gallery_151_19_19748.jpeg

Thanks, Mike!

Edited by matt, 06 February 2016 - 06:18 AM.

#2 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:23 PM

hmmm, that's very interesting.  I didn't know such a thing existed.  Is it just the front end taper that's different, or is the pen wider in general?

#3 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:44 PM

Same diameter and cap; just a different front end taper.  As noted on the pencil above, the purpose was to increase the amount of ad space.  Don't think it's listed in Graham Hogg's Jotter book; at least in my older edition.

#4 Mike Kirk

Mike Kirk

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationWixom, Michigan

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:32 AM

When Matt sent me those photos of those sets in his collection, I had the same kind of moment he did. :)

Subtle differences but differences nonetheless. Makes sense.

The more tapered version of the MP-10 seems to be known as the MP-195 shown in the 1961 Parker catalog. There was no model number designation in the '61 catalog for the button actuated, plastic barrelled Jotter (aka the Jotter Special) but there is a flyer dated February 1958 that lists the Jotter Special model number as J-1. Additionally, this flyer also paired the Liquid Lead pencil in the set marketed as the Parker Pardners set. The MP-195 and the MP-10 were paired with the Jotter Special and marketed as Pardners as well; MP-10 shown in Matt's Pardners sets shown above. In the very same 4-page flyer, the Pardners set, containing the ridge clipped Special & LL pencil, were marketed as model P-1.

I think I may have to spreadsheet this, with photos, to keep it all straight. :)

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]
Penfindum Restorum

Memberpca_logo100x100_zps688ac2a8.png NAWCCLogo_zps4a922f0b.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users