Jon Perry

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 05 September 2016 - 03:55 PM

Hi All,

I'm currently working on compiling a mini-collection of lockdown shadow waves and the question came up (as it usually does) regarding relative rarity of the various colors. Although my reading suggests that green is considered at least uncommon, there were at least three to be had at the SF show recently and a dearth of other colors. 

Is there an accepted "cachet hierarchy" with these models, and if so, how are they ranked?

Thanks in advance -

Jon

#2 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:41 PM

For simplicity, I try to limit myself to green Vacumatics. Green seems to show up on eBay roughly as often as brown and grey. Burgundy less often, but just requires patience. Black shadow wave, especially with decent clarity, would be harder to find IMO. Dedicated desk pens with the barrel band are tough, but are not lockdown, AFAIK.

And if you expand to include the later speedline models, there are early 40's Duofolds in black with shadow wave barrels.

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:29 PM

Hi John,

Good question. Limited answer. Best not use a pen show prevalence to make rules of course ;)

Perhaps picking up from non-Wave Vac collecting, Red seems to be most value, followed by Green, then Brown, then Gray or perhaps Black, or perhaps "then Black or perhaps Gray"

Condition is key for these. 1s Generation pens are far more uncommon than 2nd, for reason perhaps obvious.

I've written a screed about Gray, but I note here that for a minty superb Gray I would charge likely as much or more as for Red.  Clean Gray is hard to find. Since gray tends to look worse worn, most found underprice other colors. Gems perhaps do not underprice other colors.

The price range for condition difference likely trumps the color impact on price for most colors.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 Jon Perry

Jon Perry

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 07 September 2016 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

0 user(s) are reading this topic