• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:51 PM

There is currently a post on FPN about the Mascot Pen. The originator deserves a sensible reply, but obviously nobody at FPN knows anything about these, so I thought I would add the relevant information here as I know a little about them. One of the Pauls who are members here and have posted on the FPN topic may want to add a link over there.

The original FPN topic is at http://www.fountainp...scotwhat-is-it/

The Mascot is not all that uncommon in the UK, and is generally not expensive to buy. I have two, one in solid 9ct gold and one in Sterling silver.

Edward Baker & Sons were in business from 1837, based in Birmingham, and are probably best known for their silver propelling pencils, similar to those made by Sampson Mordan.

'The Mascot' name was registered as early as 1913, and I doubt the pen would have been available much beyond the late 1920s. I think these are probably unfamiliar to pen collectors today because they were generally sold through the jewellery trade rather than through stationers.

One point nobody made on FPN was that these pens are telescopic, so the length can be almost doubled, and, with the cap posted, they form quite a long pen. When examples are found these days, it is very common that the slide is completely seized so you could be completely unaware of its telescopic properties, however a few drops of penetrating oil and a degree of patience will generally free them up. With the cap firmly screwed on, hold the cap in one hand and the barrel in the other, and just pull!

The pens are eyedropper filled, simply by unscrewing the black vulcanite section. The apparent 'knob' at the other end of the barrel is only there to allow you to post the cap.

I don't think I have ever seen a Mascot with a full set of English hallmarks. The EB 925 mark on the FPN example is a false hallmark, similar false marks are often seen on English rolled gold overlay pens, c.1920. The 925 only confirms the Sterling silver identification, the Sterling standard being 925 parts per thousand pure silver. Because it cost money to have official hallmarks applied, manufacturers tended not to do this unless it was unavoidable. The 'Sterling' identification often implies pens made in (or made for) the USA, but hallmarking regulations within the UK varied over the years, and the Sterling silver identification is also seen on English-made pencils of the 1910s & 20s. The nibs on my pens are marked with a simple EB below the 14ct marking. The lack of full hallmarking also indicates an earlier date.

I see no reason why these shouldn't have been made by E Baker themselves, even if the nib, feed and section were bought-in. They are a lot simpler in construction than the pencils of the day.

Andy

Edited by AndyR, 24 November 2016 - 12:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users