Photo

Semi-Standard or simply a mismatched 73 Type Pen?

73 875 Sovereign

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MacKozinsky

MacKozinsky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPoland, Warsaw

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:15 PM

Hello,

I've already tried at FPN, but I guess maybe not everyone in the hobby frequents it so ... There is this pen, and I thought that maybe I should ask, as it's a bit of a mistery to me, even though it's not even Canadian. Or Australian for that matter :-)

The pen below is a slender type, bears the 875 price code, but doesn't seem to fall into either Short or Standard length category.

It measures:

12,9 cm capped

11,7 cm uncapped
5,85 cm - cap length

38mm - clip length

It actually looks like the cap and the barrel are not really the original set. Was there any irregular length 73 Lifetime pen or it's just a mixture of two different models? Or maybe the expression "the right size for the Milady's handbag" didn't mean the same all the time?

And would a First Lady/Lady Sheaffer cap on a Sovereign barrel be enough to justify the size of the capped pen or it should be, say, First Lady cap on the later Vigilant barrel?

Is the end of the barrel - as per the 1941 Repairmen manual - the New Style Tapered end?

What do you think? Maybe someone can actually check which swap among Slender pens could give an approx. 12,9 cm specimen?

Thanks in advance for any answers, hints or ideas,

Regards,

Maciek

s03_zpskzomitdj.jpg

s04_zpsw4ktywm2.jpg

s06_zps9kccarz7.jpg

The fundamental substance is air. The soul is air; fire is rarefied air; when condensed, air becomes first water, then if further condensed, earth, and finally stone...

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:00 PM

Hi,

Are the parts equivalent to those from a military-clip Balance?

regardsd

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 MacKozinsky

MacKozinsky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPoland, Warsaw

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:04 AM

You mean in what way equivalent?

I can say that at least several military clip pens, Vigilant and Valiants, I had or had a chance to inspect, were roughly 4.6 inches open, that is approx. 117 mm. Currently I have only a Skyboy at hand, and open it's also 117 mm.

The overall length of military clip  pens I have measurements of varies from 130 to 133 mm, so there is some room for differences as probably it always is with Balances.

875 and 1000 price code pens (Valiant, Vigilant, Skyboy) were the ones on the long side of the range.

The barrel imprint of the pen above is correct when compared with MC pens. It usually says:

W.A. SHEAFFER PEN CO.
FORT MADISON,  IOWA, U.S.A.
PATENTED IN U.S.A.

Price code here

The cap length in MC pens is also similar, usually slightly more than 59 mm. So there is a great chance that a cap from a different WD pen of the same length could be OK, in terms of the section meeting the inner cap in the right place for the pen to screw in properly. Or so I would think xD

Don't have the pens to check that theory though :-(

Thanks for responding :-)

Regards,

Maciek

Edited by MacKozinsky, 22 February 2017 - 12:45 AM.

The fundamental substance is air. The soul is air; fire is rarefied air; when condensed, air becomes first water, then if further condensed, earth, and finally stone...

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:07 AM

For a standard diameter pen, is the cap "stubby" same length as military clip standard diameter and is barrel same length as military (between stubby and long standard barrel).?

If slender, same thing relative to cap and barrel from miltary pen?

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 MacKozinsky

MacKozinsky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPoland, Warsaw

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:12 AM

Yes,

The barrel diameter is around 11 mm, approx 4,33"

The cap diameter is around 12 mm, approx 4,72"

which is indeed compatible with Vigilant measurements I have and ones you can find online. Although, if the measurment of the Lady/Semi-standard barrel is precise, the diameter is a tiny bit on the stubbish side, as it should be more like 10,6 mm, approx. 4.2". But it's also down to the accuracy of the tool and the eye of the beholder :-)

Maciek

#6 MacKozinsky

MacKozinsky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPoland, Warsaw

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:16 PM

After very careful repeated measurement: the barrel diameter is 10,8 cm.

Is the pen similar to your jeweller's band pen David? The one you call semi-stubby?

Anyone else would like to add their opinion?

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:42 AM

Hi,

I won't be able to measure a military pen for couple weeks,  These can get muddled at the edges of usual models.

The "semi-stubby" indeed is a military sized pen but with regular cap. The standard-diameter pens have "stubby" size cap. Military pens with military clips match size of older "stubby" caps, but barrel between stubby and standard length.

Your pen sounds like a slender. I"m not sure offhand the semi-stubby idea works for slender pens, as there was not "stubby" slender cap. Offhand I think the slender military pen has lady-size cap (short slender) and full length slender barrel.

I need to do some exploration when home.

Posted Image

#8 MacKozinsky

MacKozinsky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPoland, Warsaw

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:35 PM

I shall be grateful if you find the time for such an exploration.

TIA :-)

Regards,

Maciek

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 73, 875, Sovereign

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users