nxn96's Content

There have been 2 items by nxn96 (Search limited from 05-July 23)

Sort by                Order  

#25806 ebay watch

Posted by nxn96 on 30 May 2013 - 03:39 AM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

The bp just to the right of the lonely cap might be a 61 or possibly a 51 bp (I don't think there was a VP bp). Even on a bet, at the current price ($45, as I write this), worth a shot at it. For the rest of them, not so interesting.

If you're the winning bidder, let us know. For me, I'll just watch from the sidelines.

Hope this helps.

#21908 Family pens......

Posted by nxn96 on 15 January 2013 - 05:50 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Hi,

Two nice pens. The Aerometric pen looks to be a "Demi", which was a slightly smaller profile than the standard size 51. Although the Demi was often marketed to women, part of the rationale for calling it a "Demi" as opposed to a "Ladies Pen" was to also capture a market for men who simply preferred a smaller profile pen. I'm not surprised the pen still functions. 51 Aerometrics are famous for being functional years after they were first sold. If you haven't done so yet, you might want to give the pen a good flushing in water with about a 10% ammonia mix (followed by some additional flushes with plain water). You'd be surprised how much old ink this flushing process dislodges from the filler system, and how much doing so improves the pen's performance.

The other pen is a 51 Vacumatic, which was the filling system Parker used until the Aerometric line was introduced in 1949. This pen likely needs to have the diaphragm replaced to get it functioning again. The good news here is that you shouldn't have a problem finding a pen restorer to do that for you for a pretty reasonable amount of money.

Hope this helps you.