Ron Z's Content

There have been 30 items by Ron Z (Search limited from 05-May 23)

Sort by                Order  

#36385 Gold Plating

Posted by Ron Z on 14 August 2014 - 04:02 PM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

Tank plating is the most ideal because the plating is even and heavier.  But it is impractical if not impossible to tank plate while the furniture is still on a pen, so we pen plate.

You don't need to tank plate nickel.  You can brush/pen plate.  Just chose your solutions carefully.  Clean well with a good surfactant to remove polishing compounds and oils from your skin.  Be sure to rinse well with distilled water before plating.  ....and yes, you should nickel plate everything before the gold plating goes on.

#36368 Gold Plating

Posted by Ron Z on 13 August 2014 - 09:31 PM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

Are you doing an under layer of nickel before plating?  It's a necessary step to keep the trim from tarnishing...     Some folks who provide plating services skip this step.  I decided that given the low cost of the nickel, it's something that should not be skipped.

#36267 Public Domain Pen Documents Now Online

Posted by Ron Z on 07 August 2014 - 12:12 PM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

I can't think of a more fitting end to the discussion.

#36222 Public Domain Pen Documents Now Online

Posted by Ron Z on 06 August 2014 - 12:22 AM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

PCA currently has only about 600 members.

Just to make a point, you're low by a few hundred members. Not up to the 1000 I'd like to see, but closer than 600. But your point about the registered users on FPN is a point that I've been making for a couple of years. Most don't even know that the PCA exists, and PCA members don't seem to be especially interested in telling them. I think that the library is one of the greatest assets that we have.  A client was asking for where he could find information on his (now) favorite pen.  I pointed him to two sources - books, namely Paul Eranos and Andy Lambrous, and the PCA library.  He was delighted.

if we could only get FPN to care about these old musty Catalogs and Ads...

Why would they do that when they can simply ask a question and receive an answer? Whether or not it's accurate is often open to question, but they get an answer. I seem to spend half my time re-re-correcting incorrect repair information, when a little research can give the OP a good answer.

#36128 Pre-DC update at Main Street Pens

Posted by Ron Z on 01 August 2014 - 07:52 PM in Pens for Sale

Certainly not everything that we will be selling at the show, but an update this week with several nice pens. Pens shown will be available at the show, unless of course they sell before. After Thursday 8/7 when we leave for the show preference will be given to folks AT the show so no orders will be taken.

We pass a milestone with this update too. We started with pen #1001 back in 2007, and #2000 is in this update. That's a lot of pens sold over the years! Thanks to all who bought them!

To view the current offerings, take a look at the Pen Sales page at Main Street Pens...

pen2000.jpg