Gary D's Content

There have been 29 items by Gary D (Search limited from 29-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#30948 Hello from Nova Scotia, Canada!

Posted by Gary D on 28 December 2013 - 07:18 PM in Say Hello!

I'm in the Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) - most of my career has been on submarines.  I work in an office at the moment and my Pelikan is safe.  I won't be going back to submarines as there is no position for my rank and occupation.  However, it got me thinking though that submarines is a BAD place for fountain pens.  In Canada we operate diesel electric submarines that require "snorting", this involves brining air through a mast into the submarine and exhausting out another. If the masts happen to dip below the surface a ball valve shuts the air intake and the air is then sucked into the diesels from within the submarine thus causing a back pressure.  In a nut shell, never mind flying, on a submarine a fountain pen would not react too well when there is a back pressure! 

Any other Navy or Military people out there?

Gary

#30915 hello

Posted by Gary D on 28 December 2013 - 04:13 PM in Say Hello!

Resistance is futile.  

#30910 Hello from Nova Scotia, Canada!

Posted by Gary D on 28 December 2013 - 02:05 PM in Say Hello!

Thanks David.

Gary

#30908 Hello from Nova Scotia, Canada!

Posted by Gary D on 28 December 2013 - 01:53 PM in Say Hello!

Hello everyone!  My name is Gary and I'm from beautiful Nova Scotia.  

My interest in FP's is fairly recent - it all started about a year ago.  My latest purchases have been a Nakaya Heki-tamenuri, portable Cigar, Pelikan M800, MB 149, and a 206.  The best way I can describe the nib on the Nakaya is "buttery" - I love it but don't dare take it to work.  My daily writer at work is my Pelikan, however I needed to change the nib out from a Medium to a Fine - I can't have to much ink in my note books at work as it smears. But that Medium, wow, when I do use at home it it's so nice to see that ink glistening on the paper - beautiful!  My MB 206 is a nice writer - I was surprised at the line variation and I felt that it was like brush strokes - even my wife likes it which is extremely important.  I bought her a TWSBI 580 demonstrator with the rose finishings to get her interested in FP's - it's all part of my master plan.

Gary