OcalaFlGuy's Content

There have been 20 items by OcalaFlGuy (Search limited from 29-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#31389 Pick YOUR choice of "The Quintessential Esterbrook"

Posted by OcalaFlGuy on 31 December 2013 - 02:12 AM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

So saith Commander Skunk of the Lost Planet Airmen.   ;) 

Bruce in Ocala, Fl 

#31379 Pick YOUR choice of "The Quintessential Esterbrook"

Posted by OcalaFlGuy on 31 December 2013 - 01:28 AM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

I don't think that "quintessential" Necessarily means the model that had the most sales.

In the car world for example, I would say the '56 or '57 are The quintessential Thunderbirds.  

I suspect there were other years though with higher sales figures.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#31378 Ultrasonic: when *not* to

Posted by OcalaFlGuy on 31 December 2013 - 01:09 AM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

I've seen a "slat" of stiff cardboard laid across the open top of the cleaner with a hole punched into it to hold the pen at the proper depth. (By friction fit in the hole)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#31350 Parker 100 Redux

Posted by OcalaFlGuy on 30 December 2013 - 09:53 PM in MODERN PENS. Yes... really.

Even Richard Binder says the fit and finish of the aforementioned H-100 closely matches that of the P-51 AND it has a "proper" metal connector.

For $30 retail.

To me that is sufficient evidence the Chinese have The Ability to REPLICATE a P-51 for $50 retail.

It is not my intention to offend any Chinese members here with my next point. If you don't like it, FIX IT, don't come after me for making the valid point.

I have some exposure to doing business with the Chinese.  They will do Anything and Everything that is Beneficial To Them that they can get away with and will try More that they won't be able to get away with if left to try, even if that is harmful to people or detrimental to the product being made. Ask Matel Toys for just the start of any needed back-up on that.

For a Hero 51 to happen would require extensive, Constant, in country, in plant QA/QC supervision by Parker to ensure that tolerances and standards were being adhered to. 

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#31331 Ultrasonic: when *not* to

Posted by OcalaFlGuy on 30 December 2013 - 07:21 PM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

• Finally if the plated nib is in contact with the metal tank of the USC itself or maybe a HARD plastic basket, the friction/abrasion could wear through the thin plating.

IMO, THIS ^^^ is the culprit for Most of the gold wash damage "from sonication".  Sonicate the nib such that the only thing touching it is solution. Otherwise you are basically "sanding on" the thin wash at tens of thousands of times per second.

Also,

DO NOT sonicate Esterbrook Transitional caps. 

The screw in jewel retention ring is made from the same material as the pen and is Only friction fitted within the outer cap.

IMO, The sonicator CAN compromise that friction fit such that the retaining ring is no longer immobile and turns freely as you attempt to screw the jewel into it.

Resetting that retaining ring is a major PIA that Starts with taking the rest of the cap apart.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#31329 Parker 100 Redux

Posted by OcalaFlGuy on 30 December 2013 - 07:05 PM in MODERN PENS. Yes... really.

Should Parker try again with an improved, more upscale version of the 100? Or a cheaper model? Or not bother?

I believe Parker once again has actual manufacturing happening in China. (Unless I'm mistaken.)

The Hero 100 "Parker clone" with it's gold nib is a remarkably good pen even before you add "for $30". 

Parker should get ALL the way into bed with it's Chinese friends.

Give Hero all the original blue prints for the 51 and aid them in sourcing current similar materials that meet Parker's standards. Then use Hero's

cheaper plants and labor to produce the Parker 51 by Hero for say $49.95 with a 14k nib.

If they can come as close as they did with the Hero 100 for $30, the should be able to Exactly Replicate the P-51 for $50.

That would open up The P-51 to a multitude of new users who for their own reasons shy away from used vintage pens in favor of only "new" ones.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl 

#31321 Pick YOUR choice of "The Quintessential Esterbrook"

Posted by OcalaFlGuy on 30 December 2013 - 06:27 PM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

Even the Transitional J is not exactly run of the mill.  I would think it would have to be one of the Js. 

FWIW, Brian Anderson puts Both the Visu and the Tranny in "The J Family".

To use a prior wording, to me, The 3 ribbed Tranny does indeed Scream! Esterbrook!, in fact, it does so Without (save the imprint) Actually having to Use the word. No other Estie looks more Clean and Classic to me either.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#31309 Pick YOUR choice of "The Quintessential Esterbrook"

Posted by OcalaFlGuy on 30 December 2013 - 05:17 PM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

We are a lot more receptive to outside GENUINE contenders than you might think.

The Little League World Series has been won numerous times by foreign teams.  (Even though we didn't know many were cheating at the time...)

I would say 8 of 10 FP users would look at Any Relief and save the visible branding, have No Clue it relates to Esterbrook at all.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#31297 Pick YOUR choice of "The Quintessential Esterbrook"

Posted by OcalaFlGuy on 30 December 2013 - 04:29 PM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

So my buddy Rick Krantz and I are having a small discussion over on Faceplant.

Rick says the Quintessential Estie is the Visumaster.

DSC00218.JPG

I on the other hand, say it's the Transitional J. Preferably the Toaster jewel 1st rendition.

CAM00263.jpg

My reasoning is that while the Visumaster does indeed have some of the same styling clues, the Visumaster was Esterbrooks (Failed) attempt to Mimic the OTHER higher priced pens of the day. To be more like The Other pens.  THAT'S the reason I say it's not "Quintessential Esterbrook".  With it's plastic single jewel, to me, that makes the Tranny the Father of the Double Jewel J, probably the most well known and popular Esterbrook ever.

Which say ye?

(I MAY consider Adding Your Choice OTHER than these two to the poll if you are able to Convince me why it should be there.)

Feel free and post your arguments for or against as a post to this thread.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#31291 Starting a Parker Collection..

Posted by OcalaFlGuy on 30 December 2013 - 03:41 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

I always thought that it would be cool to create a list of iconic vintage pens that are a cross representation of the bigger makers, or that were significant that they should be included in a sampling of the period, say 1900-1970

For example...

Parker duofold
Parker vacumatic
Parker 51
Parker 75

That's a basic off the top of my head list, and certainly arguments could be made one way or another, but it would be like a "type collection" as they have in coin collecting.

While I would agree it doesn't have the cachet of it's higher priced brethren, I think it's hard to omit the one pen with the longest continuous production period for Parker. The P-45.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#31080 Esterbrook buy. How did I do?

Posted by OcalaFlGuy on 29 December 2013 - 06:20 PM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

It has a 9668 Medium nib, that's around $15 NOS by itself.

I would think possibly resacced recenty or at least with that same nib in it. The stars and moon don't align by accident.  ;)

Can't tell about any undamaged jewel or loose clip from the pics. I would presume you bid having backchannel answers to those

2 questions as those are the two most prevalent and severe Estie issues. (As inexpensive as they were originally, Esterbrook did not intend for jewels and clips to be repaired, they intended you just buy another pen. Jewels and clips were designed to go on quickly and consistently on the production line, not for ease of later repair.)

If the 9668 is in good shape you have $15 in just it and the J-bar assuming it's a usable factory one.

You did just fine.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#31062 My 2 Burgundy Finds o' The Week. Parker and Sheaffer:

Posted by OcalaFlGuy on 29 December 2013 - 05:33 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

There's a Flex nib in the Canada model?

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#31054 Red Parker 50 Falcon

Posted by OcalaFlGuy on 29 December 2013 - 03:59 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

It has a thick coat of red lacquer? maybe.  .

I would suspect the Epoxy finish that Parker was so fond of.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#30985 Parker 45 "beak" lost!

Posted by OcalaFlGuy on 29 December 2013 - 12:15 AM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

If you cannot recoup the collar contact Martin Ferguson, he may have some spare collars.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#30960 Late Christmas present for the Pen person who has everything

Posted by OcalaFlGuy on 28 December 2013 - 09:16 PM in What's New in Your Life

Straight from the desk of Morticia or Gomez Adams.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#30955 Late Christmas present for the Pen person who has everything

Posted by OcalaFlGuy on 28 December 2013 - 08:53 PM in What's New in Your Life

My first thought was oohhh! neat! a flying squirrel pen rest!

But, yeah, OK, I can work with Lion.  ;)

http://www.ebay.com/...0-/271354180974

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#30931 Gonna be a real disappointed wannabee Fleabay Plum harvester...

Posted by OcalaFlGuy on 28 December 2013 - 05:44 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

First this is a Demi that were it a Plum, that size would reduce it's value.

It closed at to me parts value for Burgundy pieces.

Any bid here would be a Braille bid without a lot more info from the seller.  Based on the close price and no posted Q/A, I suspect the

seller Was Only answering any questions backchannel and those answers pointed clearly towards burgundy.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#30917 Parker 45 "beak" lost!

Posted by OcalaFlGuy on 28 December 2013 - 04:50 PM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

Before you use the sink much more, go underneath and remove the u shaped trap part of the drain pipe. 

The nib collar may well still be there.

That should not be a non-removable pipe piece...

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#30916 Gonna be a real disappointed wannabee Fleabay Plum harvester...

Posted by OcalaFlGuy on 28 December 2013 - 04:46 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Luckily for them, there's apparently no issues with returns.

And for whoever has the $190 bid in, what part of This. Is. Not. A. Plum. are you missing?...  :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=281232154932

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

#30707 Merry Christmas!

Posted by OcalaFlGuy on 25 December 2013 - 05:54 PM in What's New in Your Life

CAM00291.jpg

From Ocala, Fl