brando090's Content

There have been 715 items by brando090 (Search limited from 30-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#25354 Brandon Cifani (Brando090) is engaged in fraud

Posted by brando090 on 18 May 2013 - 02:12 PM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

I really can't tell FPB how much I truly apologize. My actions were very arrogant, and irresponsible. I would like to apologize to everyone I have hurt, as I wasn't trying to deceive anybody. Simply I was looking for another buyer, so that two people could afford one collection of pens. But what I failed to consider, is I can only sell pens after I've bought them.

I very much take full responsibility for my stupidity, and I sincerely apologize to the fullest degree for my actions.

Arrogance and irresponsibility really are not relevant. Sort of like an attempted murderer apologizing for being thoughtless. Perhaps you can find better words for what is wrong with you.

Also, you appear to be a liar or to have a mental defect. The issue of "selling" things you don't own had clearly been raised for you before. This is not new. Based (yet again, in this latest run) on your posts to George, we know you are a liar. Lying, by definition, indeed is deception, so clearly you *were* trying to deceive.

So, explain to us what sort of person fails to consider he cannot sell what he does not own?

Of note, you have "apologized" for this sort of thing before.

Who you thought might afford a collection matters not at all. It wasn't your collection.

Your posts on Gun, Precious Metal, Car, and Music Equipment sites are similarly interesting.

So, what then is your defect?

regards

david

I was being very inconsiderate, and yet again not knowing the pen community is as small as it is.

Also this is not apologizing, this is a huge apology, in which I will be sure to step back from the hobby and rethink my actions.

I understand how it would be fraud with me taking the money and running, but I wasn't going to do that. I was simply looking for someone to buy into the collection with me.

Not only is this the second and last time I will ever sell without buying, but its the last time I communicate with people who have manipulated in the past and continue to manipulate me. The people who managed to manipulate me into trying to sell them pens, were people which in fact knew prior to messaging me that there friend had pens which they photographed for me the day before. If that is deceptioin, I don't know what is.

I would like to say again, I really have overstepped the boundaries and apologize.

#25349 Brandon Cifani (Brando090) is engaged in fraud

Posted by brando090 on 18 May 2013 - 01:29 PM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

I really can't tell FPB how much I truly apologize. My actions were very arrogant, and irresponsible. I would like to apologize to everyone I have hurt, as I wasn't trying to deceive anybody. Simply I was looking for another buyer, so that two people could afford one collection of pens. But what I failed to consider, is I can only sell pens after I've bought them.

I very much take full responsibility for my stupidity, and I sincerely apologize to the fullest degree for my actions.

#25286 Waterman 452 Cardinal Overlay Set

Posted by brando090 on 17 May 2013 - 04:27 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Great buy, and great information regarding reproductions in the 80's.

Thanks. I agree on both counts.

Definitely out of my price range, and you got it when nobody was looking.

#25283 Waterman 452 Cardinal Overlay Set

Posted by brando090 on 17 May 2013 - 03:38 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Great buy, and great information regarding reproductions in the 80's.

#25282 Value of original Waterman's catalog

Posted by brando090 on 17 May 2013 - 03:32 AM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

Though i don't collect or hunt ephemera, I have been recently interested in original Waterman catalogs. Ephemera is one of those things, which I've been told, are hard to price no matter the company it is associated with. I recently had the fortune to be talking with a well established Waterman collector who said he has spent in upwards of $7,000 for just one Waterman original catalog, though I'm unsure of the details.

#25226 Early Waterman Eyedroppers

Posted by brando090 on 16 May 2013 - 03:46 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

No.

Are you aware of how you personally learn things? Tell us, because everything seems to be beyond your grasp and people are trying to help.

Im more of a visual learner. Along with that, I'm also an auditory and logical thinker.

Define "auditory thinker"

regards

david

I'm all ears on this one.

For fun, Brandon can you identify the literary technique used in my reply to David? Note the SAT manual identifies 25 so it should be easy.

I have no idea..

#25225 Early Waterman Eyedroppers

Posted by brando090 on 16 May 2013 - 03:43 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

No.

Are you aware of how you personally learn things? Tell us, because everything seems to be beyond your grasp and people are trying to help.

Im more of a visual learner. Along with that, I'm also an auditory and logical thinker.

Define "auditory thinker"

regards

david

Someone who learns best from hearing information that is presented audibly.

#25220 Early Waterman Eyedroppers

Posted by brando090 on 16 May 2013 - 01:53 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

No.

#25208 Early Waterman Eyedroppers

Posted by brando090 on 15 May 2013 - 09:56 PM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Not trying to sound stubborn, nieve, or ignorant, but I think I have pretty good English given my age. I do need to work on some things, learning more complex words (you guys help me out on that), making sure my sentences make grammatical sense, and making sure I don't confuse "their" with "there" which I believe is a common problem. I will work on the last one especially, as it seems to be the biggest problem.

Just to put it out there, I did score in the 99th percentile on the essay writing portion of the ACT.

Regarding the recession of 2009, I understand the devastation that many went through. Some of the biggest banks went into bankruptcy, car company's which America was once dependent on were hit hard and some filed for Chapter 11, and many homeowners and small businesses had to close just to put food on the table.

Regarding the last comment, the answer is easily no. And you read my life pretty good I must say :)

Seems like you also need to learn how to spell "naive" (not nieve), learn when to use "good" and "well" and learn how to pluralize the word "company" (hint, it's "companies" not "company's")

You most certainly do not have good English given your age. My 17 year old sister would laugh at your abysmal English. You don't need to learn more complex words. You need to learn how to use the ones you already know. Exercising sesquipedalian loquaciousness often contributes to confusion, and will look downright silly if used with otherwise poor grammar. Even worse is when you use a big word incorrectly. Read the following sentences and let me know which sounds better.

1. I trusted there erudition rather then execute independent research. If only I had preceding cognizance that they're information was incongruous, I could have done pretty good.

2. I took their word for it instead of researching the subject myself. If only I had known that they gave me bad advice, I could have done well.

Bonus points if you can point out the grammatical mistakes in the first pair of sentences.

1. Really bad, too many big words, don't even understand the sentence.

2. Sounds best.

#25178 Early Waterman Eyedroppers

Posted by brando090 on 15 May 2013 - 05:47 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

SNIP

... because 1 in the hundreds column doesn't mean anything. ... SNIP

Although...

If ya go back to the 1890's, that proves not to be entirely true.

Beware the obscure... ;)

Too bad this thread had to have such dysfunctional writing at its heart. A chat about the Waterman obscurata (sic!) has merit.

regards

david

I also hate it. I guess it could be said that I did it to myself.

#25176 Early Waterman Eyedroppers

Posted by brando090 on 15 May 2013 - 05:41 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Well, need/want, both are debatable.

Any idea on value for that pen?

Which is why I have pointed out that you do not have a need in that regard.

regards

david

Correct,

I was just curious. Given the value of the recent tapered snake Waterman at the Swann auction of $1500, is the pen worth more given its scarcity?

#25173 Early Waterman Eyedroppers

Posted by brando090 on 15 May 2013 - 05:34 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

To paraphrase a drunk Reese Witherspoon, this kid is BEYOND. :blink:

:lol:

#25171 Early Waterman Eyedroppers

Posted by brando090 on 15 May 2013 - 05:27 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

We really need some heavy hitter Water,man collectors to chime in... David Nishimura...

No, we really don't need heavy hitters for this chat, although anyone of course is invited.

We have seen though how a basic question can be swamped by poor form. And, of course, you were already provided the answer via some links.

regards

david

Well, need/want, both are debatable.

Any idea on value for that pen?

#25169 Early Waterman Eyedroppers

Posted by brando090 on 15 May 2013 - 05:24 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Not trying to sound stubborn, niece, or ignorant, but I think I have pretty good English given my age. I do need to work on some things, learning more complex words (you guys help me out on that), making sure my sentences make grammatical sense, and making sure I don't confuse "their" with "there" which I believe is a common problem. I will work on the last one especially, as it seems to be the biggest problem.

Just to put it out there, I did score in the 99th percentile on the essay writing portion of the ACT.

Regarding the recession of 2009, I understand the devastation that many went through. Some of the biggest banks going into bankruptcy, car company's which America was once dependent on were hit hard and some filed for Chapter 11, and many homeowners and small businesses had to close just to put food on the table.

Regarding the last comment, the answer is easily no. And you read my life pretty good I must say :)

Whose niece are you?

For the record, the English you demonstrate here is abysmal. Whether in other settings you demonstrate a different sort of English, I cannot say. While some people do not speak English natively, and thus are given far more room for error, your mangling of the language is particularly egregious both in setting of English being your native tongue, and in setting of your apparent belief you are employing the language well.

BTW, if you'd like to explore a fellow whose views about easy money were akin to yours, I invite you to search for Ralph Kramden.

Too, you should know we have several teen members who demonstrate good writing skills here.

regards

david

Hey David,

I fixed it before anybody replied. Or so I thought...

I'll read up on Ralph later, gotta hit the hay.

#25167 Early Waterman Eyedroppers

Posted by brando090 on 15 May 2013 - 05:22 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

We really need some heavy hitter Waterman collectors to chime in... David Nishimura...

#25164 Early Waterman Eyedroppers

Posted by brando090 on 15 May 2013 - 05:18 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

As an aside, note that compound interest does not do much for one when the rate of interest is 0.4% per year.

regards

david

In this class, we are watching Dave Ramsey videos. The 8-18% interest rates we were equating, we based on mutual funds and stocks that were doing good.

I've always remembered from whatever hobby I was in, that that particular field (antiques, pens, vintage cars) did better (appreciated?) better than the stock market. Yet I learn about compounding interest, I don't think one can beat it.

#25160 Early Waterman Eyedroppers

Posted by brando090 on 15 May 2013 - 05:15 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

I was recently looking at some pens, and I discovered something that I otherwise would of never knew previously to this find. The pen is a Waterman 222 silver eyedropper. The numbering system is odd for this pen, and I've never seen one with such information on it. I've seen pictures, just didn't know it was named a number 222. Now are their Waterman 111's and 333's? What do these pens date to, and there current values (given these auctions were from time ago). http://www.liveaucti...om/item/1281838

The 'ofs', "theirs", "knews", "whats", "theres" etc,, are a bit headache inducing. If you would, please reformat. I really will take stab at answer, once I can follow the questions. For a guy targeting MIT for school... regards

I'm going totally off the topic of pens here... The Oatmeal has a good guide to some common errors made with written English. It covers the "there, their, they're" confusion particularly clearly. http://theoatmeal.co...ics/misspelling

Increasingly I'm seeing people use "of" when they mean "have." "Could", "would" and "should" are rarely correctly followed by "of" - people usually mean "Could have", "would have" or "should have."

Here is a good description of using "knew" and "known" http://www.bbc.co.uk...new_known.shtml

If Brando090 is using speech-to-text software instead of a keyboard for text input it's possible the software is entering the wrong homonym for the context, though I thought this software was more sophisticated now, and had become capable of dealing with these words.

However, as a general guide, writing simply and clearly is generally better for everyone's understanding. Using lots of words when a few will do doesn't make the writer look more clever, and it doesn't help anyone understand the piece of writing. Using a lot of words, with many used incorrectly really doesn't help anyone understand what's been written! If in doubt about a meaning or the use of a term, look it up, or simplify what you're saying until you are certain you understand the meaning - that way, the reader is also likely to understand your meaning. There's no shame in clear writing.

I appreciate the time spent to get those wonderful English resources. They did help, and I'll be sure to re-use them if I forget how to use some of those words in the correct way.

Brandon

There is a great deal of information at the Oatmeal link. The information is a good refresher for me and invaluable for a student such as yourself. I suggest making it a daily practice to read this resource until the drills are standard. It will help you in high school, college and it will help you later in life. Your choice as to what you plan to do. Perhaps spending more time at honing your basic educational skills rather than researching pens will make a bigger impact on your life financially.

Let's try to keep this short and sweet, as I'm trying to learn about the pen I recently found online.

I definitely will continue to look over that site, and it would help me financially if I was not in this hobby, but than who would buy those pens found in remote corners of the globe...? I enjoy what I do, and I enjoy finding rare pens around the world, or even in my back yard.

We recently changed classes at my school, we have a new program called Maymester, and one of the classes is called "How To Double Your Money In 30 Days." Today I learned about compounding interest, and let me just say... Wow, the money you can start enjoying in your late 50's, early 60's.

Brandon,

Why are you so greedy?

My message about learning how to use the English language properly will help you more in the long run financially than studying pens. Being able to write cohesively with proper grammar, structure and usage will do more for you in the long run than buying pens. People who send resumes to perspective employers which have errors are constantly rejected. When a cover letter is written for a job employers look to see how well a person writes, expresses their ideas, and can think under pressure. It will also help when job applications are filled out. It is the same for college applications. Colleges will reject students with skills that are lacking. It can mean the difference between a great school and a mediocre school for post high school education. In addition, once one gets into college, there are classes which are required and instructors will grade papers accordingly. If the written word is filled with errors or ideas that cannot be expressed properly, a lower grade will be given. When I was in college we had to take 3 required English classes in order to graduate. We took grammar, writing, and advanced writing. I also live in a state where there is a state Board of Regents exam given in the state that is necessary to pass in English in order to graduate. If a student fails, they do not get a diploma. I used to think the exams were a waste of time until I read hundreds of resumes and employment applications. After reading thousands of emails for business correspondence I am thoroughly convinced in the necessity of basic skills for students.

Brandon if your messages here were correspondence for business, you would be ruined very quickly. The skills you put into practice from this very moment on, will assist you for the rest of your life. A high school junior in May should be able to do the work of a high school junior and that includes proper use of the English language for writing. If not, then the student should not pass.

I also need to express that it is important you understand that life situations change very quickly. All it takes is one incident, a freak moment and lives can change drastically. Accidents, companies going out of business, employee errors, family changes, living arrangement changes and whatever else once can think can wipe one's ability to earn a living. We saw what the financial crisis of a few years ago did to the portfolios of people. I know of people who lost their homes, their businesses, and every last dime they had in their savings. An error in a spreadsheet has caused problems for people in this country and the world. http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all There are seniors who can barely afford to make ends meet working 30 hours at Walmart who stand all that time in severe pain from their arthritis and other conditions. Some of these people were quite comfortable having money in the bank with decent numbers in their savings and the financial crisis along with the trouble it brought with it destroyed their safety nets. Today, these individuals are working for minimum wage with hours cut. If you do not believe me, ask me and I will tell you about people who owned multimillion dollar businesses who today are working in Target and JC Penney and Walmart because it is so difficult to get a job.

I know you want to be a millionaire and live the Shark Tank life. Tell me Brandon, you had to quit school and go to work and live on your own tomorrow with no one helping you financially, could you do it? Would you be able to go school, afford a home, put money in the bank and be able to afford medical insurance, dental insurance, car insurance, and basic necessities to keep going?

Not trying to sound stubborn, nieve, or ignorant, but I think I have pretty good English given my age. I do need to work on some things, learning more complex words (you guys help me out on that), making sure my sentences make grammatical sense, and making sure I don't confuse "their" with "there" which I believe is a common problem. I will work on the last one especially, as it seems to be the biggest problem.

Regarding the recession of 2009, I understand the devastation that many went through. Some of the biggest banks went into bankruptcy, car company's which America was once dependent on were hit hard and some filed for Chapter 11, and many homeowners and small businesses had to close just to put food on the table.

#25158 Early Waterman Eyedroppers

Posted by brando090 on 15 May 2013 - 05:05 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Having looked at the vintage pens reference, can you determine if there is a Waterman pen identified with the codes 111 and 333? If such pens exist provide the decoded descriptions; if such codes are not plausible, state why.

Farmboy

The 333 was a guess, a really bad guess now seeing why the numbering system was posted :/ The 111, I suppose would be a 212 with a silver barrel overlay, eyedropper, and number 2 nib.

Try again. Seems to me that a 212 (silver overlay, cone fit eyedropper, and number 2 nib) would be a 212. I don't know where you get the 111 out of this.

I was deleting the 333, and stating of a possible 212 pen. The Waterman 111 is shown in the auction, I've never seen one before, so I was curious of current market value.

#25147 Early Waterman Eyedroppers

Posted by brando090 on 15 May 2013 - 03:51 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Having looked at the vintage pens reference, can you determine if there is a Waterman pen identified with the codes 111 and 333? If such pens exist provide the decoded descriptions; if such codes are not plausible, state why.

Farmboy

The 333 was a guess, a really bad guess now seeing why the numbering system was posted :/ The 111, I suppose would be a 212 with a silver barrel overlay, eyedropper, and number 2 nib.

#25140 Early Waterman Eyedroppers

Posted by brando090 on 15 May 2013 - 02:44 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

SNIP

I was recently looking at some pens, and I discovered something that I otherwise would of never knew previously1 to this find. The pen is a Waterman 222 silver eyedropper. The numbering system is odd for this pen, and I've never seen one with such information on it. I've seen pictures, just didn't acknowledge it as a number 222. Now are there Waterman 111's and 333's? When do these pens date from? What are their current values (given these auctions were from some time ago.)

Do try the first sentence again...

regards

david

Got it. Finally!

Really? Where is the corrected version? I am still not sure you understand the problems with your first sentence.

I was recently looking at some pens, and I discovered something that I otherwise would of never of known of previously to this find. The pen is a Waterman 222 silver eyedropper. The numbering system is odd for this pen, and I've never seen one with such information on it. I've seen pictures, just didn't acknowledge it as a number 222. Now are there Waterman 111's and 333's? When do these pens date from? What are their current values (given these auctions were from some time ago.)

#25138 Early Waterman Eyedroppers

Posted by brando090 on 15 May 2013 - 02:31 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

I was recently looking at some pens, and I discovered something that I otherwise would of never knew previously to this find. The pen is a Waterman 222 silver eyedropper. The numbering system is odd for this pen, and I've never seen one with such information on it. I've seen pictures, just didn't know it was named a number 222. Now are their Waterman 111's and 333's? What do these pens date to, and there current values (given these auctions were from time ago). http://www.liveaucti...om/item/1281838

The 'ofs', "theirs", "knews", "whats", "theres" etc,, are a bit headache inducing. If you would, please reformat. I really will take stab at answer, once I can follow the questions. For a guy targeting MIT for school... regards

I'm going totally off the topic of pens here... The Oatmeal has a good guide to some common errors made with written English. It covers the "there, their, they're" confusion particularly clearly. http://theoatmeal.co...ics/misspelling

Increasingly I'm seeing people use "of" when they mean "have." "Could", "would" and "should" are rarely correctly followed by "of" - people usually mean "Could have", "would have" or "should have."

Here is a good description of using "knew" and "known" http://www.bbc.co.uk...new_known.shtml

If Brando090 is using speech-to-text software instead of a keyboard for text input it's possible the software is entering the wrong homonym for the context, though I thought this software was more sophisticated now, and had become capable of dealing with these words.

However, as a general guide, writing simply and clearly is generally better for everyone's understanding. Using lots of words when a few will do doesn't make the writer look more clever, and it doesn't help anyone understand the piece of writing. Using a lot of words, with many used incorrectly really doesn't help anyone understand what's been written! If in doubt about a meaning or the use of a term, look it up, or simplify what you're saying until you are certain you understand the meaning - that way, the reader is also likely to understand your meaning. There's no shame in clear writing.

I appreciate the time spent to get those wonderful English resources. They did help, and I'll be sure to re-use them if I forget how to use some of those words in the correct way.

Brandon

There is a great deal of information at the Oatmeal link. The information is a good refresher for me and invaluable for a student such as yourself. I suggest making it a daily practice to read this resource until the drills are standard. It will help you in high school, college and it will help you later in life. Your choice as to what you plan to do. Perhaps spending more time at honing your basic educational skills rather than researching pens will make a bigger impact on your life financially.

Let's try to keep this short and sweet, as I'm trying to learn about the pen I recently found online.

I definitely will continue to look over that site, and it would help me financially if I was not in this hobby, but than who would buy those pens found in remote corners of the globe...? I enjoy what I do, and I enjoy finding rare pens around the world, or even in my back yard.

We recently changed classes at my school, we have a new program called Maymester, and one of the classes is called "How To Double Your Money In 30 Days." Today I learned about compounding interest, and let me just say... Wow, the money you can start enjoying in your late 50's, early 60's.

#25134 Early Waterman Eyedroppers

Posted by brando090 on 15 May 2013 - 01:54 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

#25133 Early Waterman Eyedroppers

Posted by brando090 on 15 May 2013 - 01:41 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Brandon, if I were you I would click on each link that has been shared in this thread. While David Nishimura's site about Waterman's numbering system is particularly useful for pen collecting (especially for someone like yourself who seems to love Waterman overlays) the links to grammatical assistance are useful for your life in general. You will NOT make it into MIT with grammar as bad as I have seen from you in your posts.

Nishimura's site regarding the Waterman numbering system is incredibly useful. I use it at least once a week, if not multiple times a week. I'll check out the grammar site.

#25132 Early Waterman Eyedroppers

Posted by brando090 on 15 May 2013 - 01:40 AM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

SNIP

I was recently looking at some pens, and I discovered something that I otherwise would of never knew previously1 to this find. The pen is a Waterman 222 silver eyedropper. The numbering system is odd for this pen, and I've never seen one with such information on it. I've seen pictures, just didn't acknowledge it as a number 222. Now are there Waterman 111's and 333's? When do these pens date from? What are their current values (given these auctions were from some time ago.)

Do try the first sentence again...

regards

david

Got it. Finally!

#25121 First Vacumatic

Posted by brando090 on 14 May 2013 - 10:59 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

George,

Nice lot of vacs, did you buy them? As I've said before, I'm no longer on what, and I don't buy on there. Good deal it looks to be. And yes, I have some of the pensut away for a trade.

English, Brandon. Try writing in English...

regards

d

Thanks David,

I didn't even realize the word correction technology did this. It sure did change things, but I got it back to normal.