mstrpete's Content

There have been 16 items by mstrpete (Search limited from 20-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#19464 Southpaw with a Fountain Pen!

Posted by mstrpete on 15 October 2012 - 06:57 AM in Miscellanea: Ink, Paper, Calligraphy, Journals, Storage, Turning, etc

That's all right. Can I hit you up for repair tips, though?

#19413 Hello from Washington State

Posted by mstrpete on 14 October 2012 - 04:52 AM in Say Hello!

Welcome!

You will find the folks here on the Fountain Pen Board really great, knowledgable and super friendly!

Greg Minuskin
www.gregminuskin.com
greg@gregminuskin.com

Thanks! I'm looking forward to some good times.

#19412 Southpaw with a Fountain Pen!

Posted by mstrpete on 14 October 2012 - 04:46 AM in Miscellanea: Ink, Paper, Calligraphy, Journals, Storage, Turning, etc

Guess what? I am left handed too!

Greg Minuskin
www.gregminuskin.com
greg@gregminuskin.com

Hooray! Lefties unite! I have heard that all people are born right-handed, but only the truly brilliant are able to overcome it :D
Do you have any special penmanship tricks?

#19411 Southpaw with a Fountain Pen!

Posted by mstrpete on 14 October 2012 - 04:45 AM in Miscellanea: Ink, Paper, Calligraphy, Journals, Storage, Turning, etc

OK!

The first is a general book but has a couple of helpful pages with ideas for left-handed writers. Excellent coverage of the basic use of the pen. Bear in mind it is out of print, but seems to be quite a few copies available (for used books I always go to www.abebooks.com) - "The Italic Way to Beautiful Handwriting - Cursive and Calligraphic" by Fred Eager.

The other book I purchased last year at the LA Pen show from the nibs.com people (John Mottishaw, et al) and is pretty specific: "Left Handed Calligraphy" by Vance Studley.

Hopefully one or both of those would give you some good advice on general principles. Not that everyone needs to be a flawless Spencerian calligrapher, but it is helpful to see the differing approaches to left-handed fountain pen use. Not impossible, just takes some adjustment.

Thanks for the titles, Jon!

#19333 Southpaw with a Fountain Pen!

Posted by mstrpete on 12 October 2012 - 07:03 PM in Miscellanea: Ink, Paper, Calligraphy, Journals, Storage, Turning, etc

sure! I could use some help for my oldest son, who is a lefty too and could use a bit of help with his penmanship.

#19295 Southpaw with a Fountain Pen!

Posted by mstrpete on 12 October 2012 - 04:02 AM in Miscellanea: Ink, Paper, Calligraphy, Journals, Storage, Turning, etc

Hello all,
Being left-handed, I approached the idea of using a fountain pen with some trepidation and must admit to some early smudging. However, I've been able to overcome that issue by back-slanting my writing so my hand is below the written line. A fringe benefit of this tactic has been improved readability; another has been actual compliments on my script! I wish I'd known to do this ages ago. Any other lefty writers out there, and how do you manage to stay tidy?

#19263 Newbie R & R Question-Parker '21'

Posted by mstrpete on 11 October 2012 - 10:37 PM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

Oh, and "Save as JPEG" is good advice too. Thanks.

#19262 Newbie R & R Question-Parker '21'

Posted by mstrpete on 11 October 2012 - 10:36 PM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

So, no harm if I play with it then. I don't have much into it now (got it and an orange "45" for $6), so I can consider this one a learner/donor pen. Good to know!

#19233 Hello from Washington State

Posted by mstrpete on 11 October 2012 - 04:49 PM in Say Hello!

We need hobbies to stay somewhat sane, don't we? I'm also into old bicycles, which take up a wee bit more room.

#19232 Newbie R & R Question-Parker '21'

Posted by mstrpete on 11 October 2012 - 04:46 PM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

Sorry, I can't seem to figure out how to resize the image.

#19231 Newbie R & R Question-Parker '21'

Posted by mstrpete on 11 October 2012 - 04:41 PM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

I'll try those things. Thanks.
Wow, that was huge.

#19229 Newbie R & R Question-Parker '21'

Posted by mstrpete on 11 October 2012 - 04:31 PM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

I recently acquired a Parker "21" which, while it fills and writes well, has a couple of issues. The clip is broken off, and the upper barrel is cracked at the threads. So, how hard is it to find and replace the clip, or should I look for a new cap? Also, how should I go about fixing the cracked upper barrel? I thought of pushing a tight-fitting aluminum sleeve over it. There's old cellophane tae on it now, which is just barely holding. The photo I have of it is too big to attach here, so I'll put one in the Gallery.
[http://fountainpenbo...eeding-repair/]

Thanks!

#19199 Hello from Washington State

Posted by mstrpete on 11 October 2012 - 03:47 AM in Say Hello!

Welcome. So where in our wonderful state are you?

Tim

Tim, I'm in Pullman, biding my time while dear wife is grinding her way through grad school. And you're a bit north of me, I see.

#19042 Fountain Pen Storange

Posted by mstrpete on 10 October 2012 - 03:41 PM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

WOW. Considering that my "collection" resides comfortably in an eyeglasses case, I am well and truly impressed and inspired.

#19040 Hello from Washington State

Posted by mstrpete on 10 October 2012 - 03:34 PM in Say Hello!

I'm probably the least knowledgeable pen guy on the board...

Second-least knowledgable, now. Thanks!

#19022 Hello from Washington State

Posted by mstrpete on 10 October 2012 - 06:00 AM in Say Hello!

Hello everyone,

I'm a small-scale collector, but a huge fan, of vintage fountain pens. Currently have a black Parker 45 with steel cap and gold trim; a Waterman Phineas of uncertain age but stellar condition; and a newly-acquired Parker 21, burgundy body, missing the clip from the cap. Oh, and I found another 45 for my oldest son, so he's in the club too. I look forward to some good conversation, information, and photos of course! !