gweddig's Content

There have been 40 items by gweddig (Search limited from 26-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#41527 A Sheaffer Secretary for 14 Dollars?

Posted by gweddig on 02 July 2015 - 04:32 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

I don't really know many of you either, though I have learned much from most here. Currently what I see is the fireworks of the owners behavior, diminishing the contributions of the other list members.

I enjoyed meeting Paul Erano last year and signing up for the new magazine, heavily promoted here. Now I can't help feeling icky about the juvenile put-downs and bad blood that is flowing in the margins. I would rather let it lapse. The behavior of one or two is enough to poison the well for me. I don't really enjoy my time here anymore.

I may pop in in the future but won't be contributing (not that I did much to begin with).

Good luck,

--greg

#41420 Before and After Repair of a M800 Pelikan Nib Repair

Posted by gweddig on 27 June 2015 - 05:07 AM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

Did the repair require annealing or just patience/skill?

This required patient work with hand tools only, and an approach to the various twists that minimized fatigue to the metal as well, so a bit of patience and some skill.

Greg Minuskin
www.gregminuskin.com
greg@gregminuskin.com

Thanks, that was my question too. It's good to know how much wiggle room there is with some gold, the ones I play with are much less... uh....folded. Thanks for sharing your skill with us!

#41375 Geometric

Posted by gweddig on 25 June 2015 - 07:57 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Here is a good photo of the barrel and cap.

Am I the only one not seeing the photo?
I don't see it either.

#40986 Parker Lucky Curve #24

Posted by gweddig on 17 May 2015 - 02:29 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Good find JBB!

The nib looks like it needs a little work too. Hopefully you'll get to see an intact example of the Lucky Curve feed.

--greg

#40847 Moore B-15 cap needed

Posted by gweddig on 08 May 2015 - 05:06 AM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

FWIW I'm looking for one for a Moore Safety. There is one that keeps showing up on eBay for an unreasonable price (for me anyway).

In other words, bump!

#40836 Duofold button filler breather tube?

Posted by gweddig on 07 May 2015 - 10:11 PM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

Quick Question:
Striped Duofold with 3 part button filling mechanism, date code is .2. (1942, 2nd Quarter?)

The feed has a breather tube in it, was this common on button fillers? How long should it be? The one I have here is broken and only extended a 1/4" above the nipple. Should it really extend up to the other end of the sac, like in Skylines?

Is this color a good candidate for a silicone sac?

Thanks in advance,

--greg

Edited to add that I found a discussion about this at the other place:
http://www.fountainp...-button-filler/

gallery_16310_207_139619.jpg

#40704 Dude! Where's My Magazine!

Posted by gweddig on 30 April 2015 - 05:44 PM in Pen Shows, Clubs, Associations, Books and Magazines.

Bruce,

My membership lapsed last fall and I didn't receive any renewal notification, before or after. I only realized it had expired when I didn't get the Pennant. I sent an e-mail to admin@pencollectorsofamerica.com and it was quickly resolved.

I speculate that there was a rejiggering of the database, causing the renewal e-mails to be broken.

--greg

(also second David's recommendation above)

#40700 Parker Eyedropper

Posted by gweddig on 30 April 2015 - 04:08 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

I was asked to look at a friend's small collection and see what I could repair, there was a Skyline, Parker 21, and a few modern pens that needed a soak and this...

"granny's old pen".  It's out of my range of knowledge but what I can tell is eyedropper, intact Lucky Curve feed, two deep chased gold bands, flexy stub nib, "6" in a circle at the end of the barrel, good color and chasing.  Maybe a "6L"?

I told her to keep it out of the light and the section may need a soak to clean it out.  Didn't take it with me. I asked if she had ever written with it, "no". So we dipped it, wrote with it, rinsed  and put it away to dry.

I said she needs to baby it because it's a very old and relatively valuable pen, was I pretty accurate?  Apologies for the lousy photos.

gallery_16310_207_2271.jpg

gallery_16310_207_215976.jpg

gallery_16310_207_5339.jpg

gallery_16310_207_58751.jpg

#40422 Hello. I'm Chrissy from the UK and I'm a FP addict. :)

Posted by gweddig on 19 April 2015 - 05:23 AM in Say Hello!

Good to see you here Chrissy!

#40081 Hello from Arkansas!

Posted by gweddig on 21 March 2015 - 05:14 AM in Say Hello!

Welcome to the group! There is a lot to learn around here.

--greg

#40036 Esterbrook ID please

Posted by gweddig on 16 March 2015 - 05:38 AM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

I see the nib is a unit much like Pelican uses. How can I tell what will fit into it if I want to swap out the nib unit? Is there a standard size to look for?

Just to be clear, everything Jon said is right on the only nib units that will work in the pen are vintage Esterbrooks, Osmiroid and I want to say Venus? The Esterbrooks will be the easiest to source.

Someone will be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong.

Enjoy!

#39967 What's up at FP Geeks??

Posted by gweddig on 05 March 2015 - 11:01 PM in Greetings + Latest News

There are several active Google+ Fountain Pen groups. Not sure how many more are needed.

While we wait, write with your pens.

I'd be interested to know how to contact them?

Here are three that I belong to:

"Fountain Pens"

"Pen Fiends"

"Fine Writing"

If one searches for "fountain pens" in Google+ you will find dozens of Communities.

#39957 What's up at FP Geeks??

Posted by gweddig on 05 March 2015 - 07:51 PM in Greetings + Latest News

There are several active Google+ Fountain Pen groups. Not sure how many more are needed.

While we wait, write with your pens.

#39939 What's up at FP Geeks??

Posted by gweddig on 05 March 2015 - 02:35 PM in Greetings + Latest News

Good for you Dan, hope that the break is productive. Look forward to seeing what's coming.

Edited to add: a post on another forum indicates that it's not Dan's doing. I hope he gets it worked out with his partners.

#39932 Carter's RHR Ring Top

Posted by gweddig on 04 March 2015 - 06:05 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Good buy!
Picked up a Carter's last week too and I'm in love with the nib. A bit of flex and a nice amount of feedback. Mine is celluloid which might be later but who knows.
--greg

#39899 Never before seen (?) Sheaffer Balance mini collection.

Posted by gweddig on 01 March 2015 - 05:29 AM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

They seem to be missing something.

#39897 WTB - Parker 51 desk pen

Posted by gweddig on 01 March 2015 - 05:22 AM in Want Lists and Trade Offers

Greg,

The plastic tube and feed are likely correct.

Thanks Farmboy, Is that a late "51" feature or deskpen or some reason unknown?

#39875 Sheaffer Balance -- pressure fit?

Posted by gweddig on 27 February 2015 - 11:06 PM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

Typically yes.

#39827 WTB - Parker 51 desk pen

Posted by gweddig on 24 February 2015 - 03:10 PM in Want Lists and Trade Offers

I think I can help you. Just picked one up last weekend, Aero, black, it's soaking now. I've yet to open it up and check the internals. Will try to send a photo later today.

It's in fine shape internally. Though it seems to have a Vac "51" feed with a Vac length (short), "Teflon" breather tube. No vent hole in the tube. I don't have a correct feed available. I'm putting in an appropriate length Teflon tube with a vent hole. Pictures still to come.

--greg

gallery_16310_207_295970.jpg

#39774 They should all clean up nicely

Posted by gweddig on 20 February 2015 - 05:12 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

A recent find, farm fresh:

(L to R)

Montblanc pencil (modern)

Sheaffer Balance:  I think it's an oversize but I have to do a little comparing.Tight lip crack but good color (photo shows a little darker).

Sheaffer Balance Combo, need to research what years these were in the catalogs and if the band was an indicator of anything other than trim level, ie: early/late etc.

Carter's Inx? Is there a model name for this or just a number? (in this case 10125) The color seems to be good, though is this a color that warrants a silicone sac? Also of note is the top of the cap has an "(88)" engraved or "86" in parenthesis. Has anyone seen this before?

Golf style pencil marked "Germany".

gallery_16310_207_350579.jpg

#37739 First issue of the Fountain Pen Journal is hitting mailboxes.

Posted by gweddig on 12 October 2014 - 02:38 AM in Discussion of Articles in Paul Erano's magazine, Fountain Pen Journal

Got mine today!

I bought Farmboy's plastic sleeve in case mine ever gets damaged, now I have a backup. When it gets here I will put it in an acid free plastic sleeve.

--greg

#37690 First issue of the Fountain Pen Journal is hitting mailboxes.

Posted by gweddig on 09 October 2014 - 01:59 AM in Discussion of Articles in Paul Erano's magazine, Fountain Pen Journal

Didn't make it north yet...

#37687 Waterman Lady Patricia Ink-Vue-Type I (2-pc barrel)

Posted by gweddig on 08 October 2014 - 10:12 PM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

The ones I have done always had a rubber washer on the "floor". Sometimes it was hardened and very difficult to differentiate from the floor. As Richard says it is a sealing surface and I can't imagine it being very efficient without it.

Marshall & Oldfield (edition 2 & 3) do not mention the washer, I have a note on the Ink-Vue Mk I page about the size as a reminder.

--greg

#37667 Waterman Lady Patricia Ink-Vue-Type I (2-pc barrel)

Posted by gweddig on 07 October 2014 - 02:47 PM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

I believe the original had the rubber washer and I have always included it.

#37630 5-30 and 3-25 in the NIB Sheaffer,s - What does it mean

Posted by gweddig on 03 October 2014 - 04:49 AM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

Thanks Roger for correcting me on price vs nib size and David for further clarification.