vintage penman's Content

There have been 4 items by vintage penman (Search limited from 29-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#44138 Czechoslovakian pens

Posted by vintage penman on 07 March 2018 - 10:40 PM in OTHER EUROPEAN and ASIAN PENS

I have put some rather poor photos of the Barclay Council and the L&C Hardtmuth  in a gallery entitled Czech pens. I have absolutely no idea how to add these to the post.

#44137 Czechoslovakian pens

Posted by vintage penman on 07 March 2018 - 12:41 PM in OTHER EUROPEAN and ASIAN PENS

I'll have another bash at uploading images, however my internet connection isn't all that amenable at the moment.

#44134 Czechoslovakian pens

Posted by vintage penman on 06 March 2018 - 10:47 PM in OTHER EUROPEAN and ASIAN PENS

I also have a silver Barclay 1302 which is a very well made pen. I have a normal Barclay 1302 in bhr as a potential donor for the silver pen should I need a new securing collar for the vacumatic type filler. Probably the oldest pen I have from Czechoslovakia is a late 20's Barclay bhr button filler of pretty substantial size (say Waterman 56 but shorter). I do use my Centropen 10012 and 10014 with Ripet nibs quite often. I have only ever managed to capture one L&C Hardtmuth fountain pen, again likely to be a 1950's Centropen product judging by the overall shape, bhr barrel and smooth aluminium cap. Not entirely sure if it has its original nib an feed though.

One thing in common to all of them is impeccable quality and sound engineering, even the later 70's & *0's Centropens manage to be pretty convincing.

Surprise find was the larger Soyuz apenig the MB 14/24 and 32/34 models with wonderfully soft Soyuz branded 14ct nibs. Again, these are well engineered, solidly made pens equal to anything the West can produce. Equally, my one and only Hungarian made Favorit pen is surprisingly well made and substantial.

Long may they remain a niche collectable.

#44132 Czechoslovakian pens

Posted by vintage penman on 05 March 2018 - 11:38 PM in OTHER EUROPEAN and ASIAN PENS

Anyone here much of an expert on Czech and other Eastern European and USSR pens?

I seem to have acquired quite a few assorted Barclay, Centropen and Soyuz models of late largely by virtue of them commanding usefully less money than the equivalent American or Western European pen. What has become evident is that most of these pens are robustly built, decently finished and write nicely when fitted with a Ripet or other 14ct / 583 nib.

It is equally evident that there's very little written history of any of these obscure in the West brands beyond what can be gleaned from Centropen's own site. 

I'll add photos when normal service has been resumed by my internet provider - our connection is via a somewhat unreliable 4g mast.