Ray-Vigo's Content

There have been 5 items by Ray-Vigo (Search limited from 29-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#27446 RIP Bert Heiserman

Posted by Ray-Vigo on 05 August 2013 - 11:25 AM in Greetings + Latest News

I've been a bit busy at work and not on the boards lately, but I too will miss Bert. I used to visit his shop a couple times per month, and he was a good friend. This year's DC show will not be the same without him.

#24704 Safest polish to use on hard rubber filigree pens?

Posted by Ray-Vigo on 05 May 2013 - 11:37 PM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

Yes- I'd use the jeweler's cloth. Getting into a polish paste (Simichrome, etc) will tend to leave gunk residue in hard to reach places on those pens in the recessed areas. Go with the cloth, as David I indicated.

#24702 They're at it again over at the FPN..

Posted by Ray-Vigo on 05 May 2013 - 11:34 PM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

funny, I was a pretty regular seller on FPN, I was wondering on how the rule changes would affect my sales. I would post the same sale on FPN, FPB, FPC, and Pentrace. Seems I would get a fair volume of sales from FPN.

However, I was not asked for input on the rule changes as a seller, so I did not entirely agree upon them. matter of fact, I had to reset my view on my laptop just to read the membership level buy ins.

Well, I had three sales since, without posting to FPN, and to tell the truth, the sales are just the same. It has had zero affect on my sales, the same people that bought before are still buying.

I was really weighing the benefits on buying a membership over there, but can't since the board has been up and down for weeks now, and quite frankly, I cannot see a benefit on paying $100-$360 a year to do something I can do just as well without the complicated rules.

I guess if you mess with a good thing, and mess with it further, eventually the people just stop going, the park example is perfect.

Best!
RIck

Most of the half way knowledgeable people visit a couple sale venues. My last sale came through FP Classifieds. I don't think I've sold anything through FPN in awhile. As a long time member there and a casual seller, I agree that it wasn't nice having huge changes like that take place without being asked about it.

#24644 They're at it again over at the FPN..

Posted by Ray-Vigo on 04 May 2013 - 10:25 PM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

I've been a member at FPN a long while and a member here awhile as well. I was very disappointed by the premium account structure they adopted and the sale rules they added. I think what really got to me was the fact that they took the concept of a "tray" sale away from the non-paying users while also stating that the sales would still allow hobbyists to turn over their collection. The small tray sale is, at least as far as I can tell, the classic method for a veteran hobbyist to modify his collection. I think their changes would have been more reasonable had the allowed number of sales included the ability to post a small tray of, say, 6 pens below a certain, reasonable value. They'd have to set the numbers, but I'm sure some compromise could be reached on that.

I was also disappointed that when suggested, the "pro tray" post disappeared with the rest of the thread it was in, and a substitute post made in another thread was ignored. Even hobbyists don't generally sell pens in lots of "one or all only". The ability to declare a pen "too valuable" to sell in a non-paying account, without a well-established bar, is pretty arbitrary. There have to be better ways to assess a toll on true professionals without hitting the veteran hobbyist with a collection. Small tray sales are a staple of the hobby, whether it's at a show or online. The whole thing signals to me the approach is to press anyone who wants to sell anything to move into the paying area, which is a far cry from the original spirit of the board. I think it has a wealth of good information, if you know where to find it there, but is taking turns in the wrong direction.

#16789 DC Supershow 2012!

Posted by Ray-Vigo on 15 August 2012 - 04:14 AM in Pen Shows, Clubs, Associations, Books and Magazines.

Got to go on Sunday morning. Not a bad show. Picked up a Vacumatic to add to the stable. I prefer going Saturday but had something come up this time. DC and Baltimore are the 2 shows I attend.