Bart's Content

There have been 11 items by Bart (Search limited from 30-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#4753 Belmont 1930's. Great Celluloid.

Posted by Bart on 24 February 2011 - 09:32 PM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

I have a couple Belmonts and they are great writers. Wonderfully responsive nibs.

I know nothing about them, really, but a prolific peddler of inexpensive flex pens on FPN once pointed out that Belmonts went through phases of quality, starting out very competitive, then degrading into poor fit and finish, ending up third-rate or lower.

Certainly a great collection subject, should one be so inclined, would be to assemble a lineup spanning those phases and compare.

#4052 odd Duofold desk base

Posted by Bart on 12 January 2011 - 09:41 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Probably just sat on it by accident. At least that's what some of the patients say...

-d

Oh, I have to remember that line if it ever happens to me (coming across a misconfigured desk base, that is...)

#4044 DUOFOLD WRITE'S AGAIN !!!!

Posted by Bart on 11 January 2011 - 07:57 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Hi Bart

In true Blue Peter style, here`s one I made earlier, I think this one is a shade darker than vista blue.

Regards
Paul.

Posted Image

Ah, good ol' No Nonsense sections. Gotta try this one day. What did you have to do to make it fit?

#4003 DUOFOLD WRITE'S AGAIN !!!!

Posted by Bart on 07 January 2011 - 03:59 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Does anyone convert these to fountain pens? It would be cool to have a Vista Blue Big Red FP.

#3080 conklin pencil

Posted by Bart on 18 November 2010 - 08:16 PM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

And, how does that compare with a plain old "Alt + PrintScreen" on your keyboard, then Paste into MSPaint?

#2645 Melt for scrap a Skyline solid-gold set?

Posted by Bart on 26 October 2010 - 11:22 PM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Refer your friend to post the pen on this board, I'm sure someone with funds (not me :() will offer to invest in this pen and save it from terrible fate.

#2635 Melt for scrap a Skyline solid-gold set?

Posted by Bart on 26 October 2010 - 06:56 PM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Hmmm. It seems, the fountain pen hobby market is mispricing these pens. Even with dents, I thought there is a lot more value to a vintage pen than just raw materials.

An investment opportunity?

#2316 What is this, I don't even know...

Posted by Bart on 08 October 2010 - 05:54 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

100310-03.JPG
(Found on parker51.com : http://www.parker51.com/gpage1.html )

Hurts my eyes to look at it, too strange.

This kind of strange:
chickat.jpg

#1422 A Few Parkers

Posted by Bart on 26 August 2010 - 05:09 AM in Pens for Sale

What's the length of that Striped Duofold?

Can't tell if it's a small size pen or one big a** nib.

#1324 some nice uncommon vacs

Posted by Bart on 20 August 2010 - 08:58 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

... with triple band and no white dot. ...

Interesting. Did Vacs ever come with white dots? (I'm a novice and have only seen white dots on Sheaffers...)

#802 Parker 61-capillary filler

Posted by Bart on 28 July 2010 - 05:19 PM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

Ah, the Parker 61. They sure are worth the perseverance, but can get a bit frustrating. The hood is definitely the weak spot.

For example. I left one soaking for two days, after flushing did not fully succeed. The hood came out mis-shapen (didn't start out that way, although many do) and the plastic developed weird pimples on it. It was just water.

It is difficult to outright impossible to remove the hood without damage; this is not a rock-solid "51", and the soft plastic tends to shrink and hug the ring tightly. A renowned restorer's response to one of my repair requests included, "if the hood can be removed."

The bulb syringe seems to work even without a good seal; as much water as it pushes out, much of it will get into the pen.

I did find one source of parts hoods: http://vintagepens.c...arker_Parts.htm