JonSzanto's Content

There have been 228 items by JonSzanto (Search limited from 21-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#41664 Public Domain Pen Documents Now Online

Posted by JonSzanto on 10 July 2015 - 03:09 PM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

I live in the real world, where integrity and ethics matter, regardless of legality.

This. Thanks.

#41658 A Sheaffer Secretary for 14 Dollars?

Posted by JonSzanto on 10 July 2015 - 07:49 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Actually, you don't respect anything much at all, do you?

#41558 Camels

Posted by JonSzanto on 03 July 2015 - 07:25 PM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

They do present well, don't they? Nice.

#41542 A few Combos for a change

Posted by JonSzanto on 03 July 2015 - 05:07 AM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

This board needs something new to talk about.

That's some towel!

#41519 A Sheaffer Secretary for 14 Dollars?

Posted by JonSzanto on 02 July 2015 - 12:01 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

10300503_10152876665769223_5073226403774

#41508 A Sheaffer Secretary for 14 Dollars?

Posted by JonSzanto on 01 July 2015 - 08:54 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

I'll be more blunt: fucking unbelievable. I'm disappointed, if that can still happen, and have pretty much reached my limit.

#41474 A Sheaffer Secretary for 14 Dollars?

Posted by JonSzanto on 30 June 2015 - 04:43 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Well, I'm sorry then, David, and I don't mean to bash on you. I included your quote, and I really don't see any other way to read it. I'll leave it to others to read as they will.

#41472 A Sheaffer Secretary for 14 Dollars?

Posted by JonSzanto on 30 June 2015 - 03:59 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

And, flippancy aside, I actually did give the PCA a chance to disavow and apologize for Veley's hateful speech. The PCA was not interested.

And I think it would be helpful, at this point, and since people like Roger (currently active in the PCA) have spoken up, that we move past casting an entire organization in a bad light by virtue of the words of one person, even if in a leadership (sic) position. It may seem objective to you, David, but the numerous posts and threads regarding all of this, with your and his participation, tends to read like a personal enmity issue. I do believe it is deeper and broader than that, but the constant mention of that one person, in a manner that is a bit unlike you, makes it appear... otherwise. Of course, I hope that isn't the case.

#41423 A teaching award, but not for fountain pen collecting...

Posted by JonSzanto on 27 June 2015 - 06:03 AM in What's New in Your Life

It's funny, seeing this pop up as I make my 'rounds' of the fora. What the hell, congratulations again!

#41398 A Sheaffer Secretary for 14 Dollars?

Posted by JonSzanto on 26 June 2015 - 06:30 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

I, for one, am sorry to see John Jenkins go. It bothers me even more to see a valued member be considered nothing more than "collateral damage", but - of course - it doesn't matter.

#41394 Before and After Repair of a M800 Pelikan Nib Repair

Posted by JonSzanto on 26 June 2015 - 03:52 AM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

I am reduced to things like "holy shit!" Greg, that goes beyond the realm of craft into artistry, and in this instance, congratulations are definitely in order.

#41390 Chicago Pen Show

Posted by JonSzanto on 26 June 2015 - 01:15 AM in Pen Shows, Clubs, Associations, Books and Magazines.

Congratulations on the reboot, Roger. As I get closer to... being less of a working stiff, I'm starting to think about traveling further for pen shows. Been a while since I've been to the tool maker, stacker of wheat.

#41382 Geometric

Posted by JonSzanto on 25 June 2015 - 09:50 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

The photo went transparent.

#41232 The Sheaffer Factory around 1930.

Posted by JonSzanto on 15 June 2015 - 07:59 AM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

Wonder what that sign or notice was on the post.

I had seen the original story from another source as well. While David posted the main photo, someone had an enlargement of the note on the pillar/wall on the other site (Shorpy.com) and here is that enlargement - essentially, it is workplace rules, mostly about being on time, hours worked, etc.

rules.jpg

#41218 Wood tool box

Posted by JonSzanto on 13 June 2015 - 09:33 PM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

I didn't know whether to put this here or in the mini-focus-collection thread. :)

Anyway, I don't *always* cheap out on things, but I kept going over in my mind the layout of the drawers and how to maximize any of the pen trays I would purchase. I saw a thread over there about the boxes and using card stock, folded, to line the drawers. Experimented a bit, settled on 1/2" folds, got some nice light gray card stock from a local art store and - bing! - was done in a little while. Here's a shot of one of the large drawers to give an idea. Also illustrates how I need to find just 5 more Moores (one is in restoration queue):

IPfXksH.jpg

#41195 The Sheaffer Factory around 1930.

Posted by JonSzanto on 12 June 2015 - 06:04 AM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

As impressive as that hoard of pens is, all I can think of is "War of the Worlds" when I see those lamps! ;)

#41132 Sheaffer OS set

Posted by JonSzanto on 06 June 2015 - 05:10 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

If it is really nice, that would be the retail zone.

Well, thanks. Honestly, it is remarkable: my understanding was that the owner *did* use the pen (according to son), but there is no brassing whatsoever, a microscopic flea bite on the cap band the only mark I can find, and the rest of the pen seems to show less wear than many NOS pens have drawer wear. As they say over there, I'm chuffed. When I've got some time I'll try to do it justice with some better photos.

One quest down, one left to go!

#41129 Sheaffer OS set

Posted by JonSzanto on 06 June 2015 - 02:42 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Nice. A $600+ set.  Hunting can be fun.

Serious? I didn't think I did that good, but I am pleased to have this in the house. Not to mention being my only OS. :)

#41115 Wood tool box

Posted by JonSzanto on 04 June 2015 - 05:52 AM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

I bought one of the Harbor Freight Tool Chests a while back.  I think I like their drawer arrangement a little better, and I think the wood is a bit more attractive than on the Costco item. However, I haven't really compared them, and I think I paid a bit more for my chest, so the Costco chest does look like a good buy.

Allan, I just have to say, it isn't much comparison - the Costco is much better construction, somewhat in inverse proportion to the price difference. I'm quite pleased with my purchase.

BTW: there was a hilarious thing go down today over at FPG. This Costco box had been shown over there a couple weeks ago, and today a guy put up two separate threads for "pen boxes". What he had was one Harbor Freight, one Costco, and he had put pen trays in the bottom drawers. He showed pics with ink bottles in other places, even had a drawer with rings in it (as in jewelry). After going through all the trouble to cut two pen trays to fit, he was now offering each of these boxes at the low, low price of ... $400.00!

GTFO, I say.

#41111 Wood tool box

Posted by JonSzanto on 04 June 2015 - 03:13 AM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

They hold WAY more than 100 pens.

Stored in that manner, yes, I can see how. I probably won't go that direction, though.

#41109 Sheaffer OS set

Posted by JonSzanto on 04 June 2015 - 01:35 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

I don't often use the "G" word, but a pen that, for me, has been closest to a Grail has finally landed. I bought my first Sheaffer Ebony Pearl within a few months after becoming involved in pens (about 5 years ago), and I've always wanted an OS. I know, they can be had, but I wanted to find it the hard - and economical, if possible - way. I've been vigilant, and today the set below arrived, in excellent shape; a brief wipe-down with soft cloth show this to be as nice a condition as an 80-yr-old user pen can be. Sold to me by the single owner's son, I will give it a good home, and I'm quite happy. Once I've done a restore on it (dead sac needs replacing with silicone version), I'll put up some 'after' pics (below is one from the auction). This set me back < $90.00.

ZoasXLy.jpg

#41103 Birth of a new dealer of old pens...

Posted by JonSzanto on 03 June 2015 - 05:27 AM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

Brian, that is a *nice* touch with the Esterbrook setup. While I've seen online people offer some variety, I don't know I've ever seen anyone do that at a show. (Big deal, I've been to 3 shows!) Nonetheless, a very nice thing to do. 

#41098 Wood tool box

Posted by JonSzanto on 02 June 2015 - 06:53 PM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

Here's the other thing: at the moment, it is the perfect size for me.

When I got interested in pens about 5 years ago, I never did it with the intention of building a large collection. I've managed to, in that time, find my areas of interest, both in pens to use, and pens to value as intrinsic items of interest. I have a few smaller and dedicated display/storage options, and once this box is all kitted out, I'll have something just north of 100 or so pens that I can store in good conditions and have ready access. That, at this point in my life, is just fine.

#41095 Birth of a new dealer of old pens...

Posted by JonSzanto on 02 June 2015 - 06:59 AM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

For anyone wondering, I'm the new dealer David mentioned.  I finally made the leap to the other side of the table, and I fear there's no going back :P.  I was really happy to connect people with pens  they would enjoy.  I hope to set up in DC and Ohio this year as well, and might do a sale or two here in the Classifieds.

I'll be watching. Don't forget: when the weather sucks in most places, there is always LA in February.

LA weather often sucks even in Feburary, but the weather in San Francisco in August is always good and it pairs well with wine and live music.  Surprised you forgot.

I didn't. It sounded like he already had this year sown up. I'll work on him, don't worry.

Hey, Brian! What're you doing this August, you know, like the last weekend of the month? Get your butt out to the City by the Bay (or nearby) and have an absolute NUTS of a time selling pens and having fun!!?!! The San Francisco Pen Show rocks so hard it generates new movies with WWF stars and stuff.

#41093 Birth of a new dealer of old pens...

Posted by JonSzanto on 01 June 2015 - 08:37 PM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

For anyone wondering, I'm the new dealer David mentioned.  I finally made the leap to the other side of the table, and I fear there's no going back :P.  I was really happy to connect people with pens  they would enjoy.  I hope to set up in DC and Ohio this year as well, and might do a sale or two here in the Classifieds.

I'll be watching. Don't forget: when the weather sucks in most places, there is always LA in February.