talkinghead's Content

There have been 4 items by talkinghead (Search limited from 17-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#32946 Montblanc 146 FP. Identifying date of manufacture.

Posted by talkinghead on 29 January 2014 - 02:25 AM in OTHER EUROPEAN and ASIAN PENS

Later 70's early 80's #146....

There are nuances that will guide you....

I would agree that 1) The excellent FPN thread on MB #149 Dating is, well , just a guide.. the dates are estimate/range. People get too caught up in the the exact year..

2) The pinned post at FPN on #146 "dating" (that was linked earlier in this thread) is also excellent, however would agree with another poster here that the post 1970's dating is incomplete. I had emailed the author of that thread at the time and offered opinions and evidence of incompleteness, but never got a response. I have physical evidence a pen that fills a short blank in the time frame...also there is the "controversy of the "transitional" model....I have posted in other threads on other forums about this also and I believe it to to a prototype versus a mass produced "transitional".

Long ago, Dr. Isaacson would play spirited games of "what I am thinking"....with photo teasers etc...very fun and informative (don't frequent boards as much any longer so not sure David you still do that!). Last Spring, on another board, I took the liberty to play such a game in Dr. I's honor....and it had to do with #146 dating to some extent....

Here is the link , (if it's ok to link to another forum/board)..the good stuff starts at the bottom of the first page of that thread...

http://fpgeeks.com/f...ntblanc-on-eBay

Also another discussion of the "transition" #146 model...lol some of the posters in this current thread commented there also..ie Idazle   :ph34r:

http://www.fountainp...ere-mb146-nibs/

Cheers,

Rick

Ps...Mods...if it is impolite to link to competing boards, I apologize and kindly delete my post!

#29868 Roseglow?

Posted by talkinghead on 22 November 2013 - 11:16 PM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

I had no idea I was buying one until it arrived in my box.  I love the way it looks.

Lucky guy, you...... :rolleyes:

#28898 Tom Mullane passed away?

Posted by talkinghead on 05 October 2013 - 02:44 AM in Greetings + Latest News

Rest in Peace OldGriz...

Rick

#22200 MB 142 Piston

Posted by talkinghead on 01 February 2013 - 04:09 AM in OTHER EUROPEAN and ASIAN PENS

Anybody know if the piston is shaped and designed like the 149? I found a tool for sale on penboard.de that said it could take apart all mont blancs from the 142-149 sizes...but it didn't have any pictures of the pens being taken apart.

142's were from the 50's, made of celluloid. The piston mechanism is the classic MB telescoping mechanism of that era, so yes, the same as all the 14x series of that time, including the 149. I don't have my own pictures of the 142 disassembled showing the piston mechanism ( I have some but they are copyrighted). Just google "montblanc telescoping" and go to images...

Or go to Max Schrage's website...he has pictures of this piston mechanism> Max

Hope that helps....but for what it's worth , the 142 is really a small pen.

Rick

Edit....wow, just noticed I've been a member here since 8/2010 and only 5 posts...I need to get more active here! Posted Image