m1928's Content

There have been 18 items by m1928 (Search limited from 21-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#25739 Waterman Heavy Silver Overlay - alas no cap

Posted by m1928 on 27 May 2013 - 09:21 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

I think a few people on this board may be breathing a sigh of relief!

I am - my wife would have scalped me...

#25738 Waterman Heavy Silver Overlay - alas no cap

Posted by m1928 on 27 May 2013 - 09:19 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

c

#25715 Waterman Patrician Blue & Gold eBay current $480

Posted by m1928 on 27 May 2013 - 01:45 AM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1438.l2649

#25711 Waterman Heavy Silver Overlay - alas no cap

Posted by m1928 on 27 May 2013 - 12:59 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Additional photos are posted in the gallery.

#25462 Massive Haul from Chicago 2013 (pics!)

Posted by m1928 on 20 May 2013 - 01:43 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

The big ebonized pearl Sheaffer looks like it has a wonderful color. So many of those are dark. I have no idea what that brown-striped thing next to it is, with the partly-black cap. It kind of looks Italian? :mellow:

Nifty blue and orange Weidlich, too!

Are you referring to 3 and 4 ?
Nice oversized Eversharp Skylines.

#25440 Waterman Heavy Silver Overlay - alas no cap

Posted by m1928 on 19 May 2013 - 09:23 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Pictures are held up until I locate the pen. =-(

#25411 Waterman Heavy Silver Overlay - alas no cap

Posted by m1928 on 18 May 2013 - 11:15 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Good point
And I will get some up -- I will shoot new ones that will show better detail. I beat these up to get them to be as large as I could with a very small file.
You are right as the images I uploaded on my Parker vacs, 51 etc ate a lot of space.

#25390 Waterman Heavy Silver Overlay - alas no cap

Posted by m1928 on 18 May 2013 - 09:08 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

BTW, if you would, please load the image to GALLERY not just to the post. Then pasting it into the post will allow it to appear full-size, not as thumbnail. Or, email me pics at isaacson@frontiernet.net (yes, 2 'nets') and I'll happily load the images for you.

best regards

david

If you click on the image doesn't it become large?

#25371 Waterman Heavy Silver Overlay - alas no cap

Posted by m1928 on 18 May 2013 - 04:37 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

As David wrote, this pen was only cataloged as a 214, or a half overlay. The nib is not correct, but this is inconsequential. The pen would originally have had a #4 Waterman nib. The pen came in two versions/patterns, the Lily, which is the pictured pen, and the Rose. Finding a cap will be tricky but not impossible, since it will need to come off a smooth half overlay of some type with the imprint on the cap. The clip will also need to be replaced with a sterling clip.

I am curious about the imprint at the bottom of the pen. Is that a Waterman imprint? Out of the few that i've seen, I have never seen one with a butt end imprint like in the picture.

The pen is a beautiful and rare Waterman overlay. The last one I know about traded hands around 2006.

Regards,
George

Back in August right after i got the pen I wrote this to a friend:
Waterman -- could not see any number on the end. There may have been 3 numbers but at best it is three slight indents.
On the plus side the nib is a New York 5.

#25369 Waterman Heavy Silver Overlay - alas no cap

Posted by m1928 on 18 May 2013 - 04:26 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

As David wrote, this pen was only cataloged as a 214, or a half overlay. The nib is not correct, but this is inconsequential. The pen would originally have had a #4 Waterman nib. The pen came in two versions/patterns, the Lily, which is the pictured pen, and the Rose. Finding a cap will be tricky but not impossible, since it will need to come off a smooth half overlay of some type with the imprint on the cap. The clip will also need to be replaced with a sterling clip.

I am curious about the imprint at the bottom of the pen. Is that a Waterman imprint? Out of the few that i've seen, I have never seen one with a butt end imprint like in the picture.

The pen is a beautiful and rare Waterman overlay. The last one I know about traded hands around 2006.

Regards,
George

I'll get the nos on the butt tomorrow
If you are referring to the name imprinted in the silver - if the pen was standing tall with the nib in the air the writing would be at the top of the overlay.

#25368 Waterman Heavy Silver Overlay - alas no cap

Posted by m1928 on 18 May 2013 - 04:22 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

That would be a possibility David, however; the half covered overlay with an imprinted cap is difficult to find. The frequently imprinted caps are often found on 61X pearl slab eyedroppers, from my experience. They can also be found on early pierced half overlays IIRC.

Regards,
George

EDIT: Mulling this cap problem over again... If the pen does indeed have the Waterman imprint at the butt end of the pen, then an unimprinted cap would not be "incorrect".

It does have numbers pressed into the butt.of the pen but I will need the pen in hand to tell you the numbers. Pen was left at work.

#25367 Waterman Heavy Silver Overlay - alas no cap

Posted by m1928 on 18 May 2013 - 04:20 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

That would be a possibility David, however; the half covered overlay with an imprinted cap is difficult to find. The frequently imprinted caps are often found on 61X pearl slab eyedroppers, from my experience. They can also be found on early pierced half overlays IIRC.

Regards,
George

EDIT: Mulling this cap problem over again... If the pen does indeed have the Waterman imprint at the butt end of the pen, then an unimprinted cap would not be "incorrect".

#25366 Waterman Heavy Silver Overlay - alas no cap

Posted by m1928 on 18 May 2013 - 04:19 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

BTW, if you would, please load the image to GALLERY not just to the post. Then pasting it into the post will allow it to appear full-size, not as thumbnail. Or, email me pics at isaacson@frontiernet.net (yes, 2 'nets') and I'll happily load the images for you.

best regards

david

I will shoot some other images so they can be enjoyed by others since there seems to be a bit of interest.

Most likely I wll not get to it until tomorrow.
These shots were taken with my phone to show a friend after I initially purchase.

#25307 Waterman Heavy Silver Overlay - alas no cap

Posted by m1928 on 17 May 2013 - 08:48 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

I was asked to post a picture of a waterman eye dropper I bought last year.
nice flexible nib - 5
Incredibly thick sterling silver overlay

Attached Thumbnails

• WatermanHeavyOverlay.jpg

#25292 Parker 51s, Vacumatics, 61-2plus1 set & odd box

Posted by m1928 on 17 May 2013 - 10:29 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

31 - 1st gen Standard. Very early pen could possibly be a Vacuum Filler.
32 - 1st gen Junior in reticulated black. Reticulated pens don't crop up as much as normal striped ones do.
33 - 3rd gen Major
34 - 3rd gen Major
35 - 3rd gen long? Major. Will need to know the length and date code.
36 - 3rd gen Major
37 - 3rd gen Junior
38 - 3rd gen Major. Seamed plastic. Nothing too unusual about seamed plastic, but something I noticed.
39 - 3rd gen Major
40 - Challenger?
41 - 3rd gen Major
42 - 1st gen Slender
43 - 1st gen Junior
44 - 3rd gen Sub Debutante
1, 3, 7, 9, 12, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 25, 26 - Parker 21s
24 - Parker 51 Vacumatic
27 - Parker 51 Vacumatic - Jeweler's Band Cap
6, 28 - Parker VS
29 - Parker "Toothbrush" Duofold
30 - Deluxe Challenger
2, 4, 6, 8, 10/11, 13, 14, 15, 16 - Parker 51 - Note 10/11 have Jeweler's Band Cap
49 - 1st gen Standard
55 - Sheaffer Stratowriter

I will reshoot the vacumatics -- the one shot is distorted so they may look fatter than they are - the other shot is not messed up in photoshop. I should have left it alone but I thought it would show length comparison better.
I certainly hope there are that many majors but I am afraid my photo may be "a liar"... (not intentional)

#25291 Parker 51s, Vacumatics, 61-2plus1 set & odd box

Posted by m1928 on 17 May 2013 - 10:24 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

31 - 1st gen Standard. Very early pen could possibly be a Vacuum Filler.
32 - 1st gen Junior in reticulated black. Reticulated pens don't crop up as much as normal striped ones do.
33 - 3rd gen Major
34 - 3rd gen Major
35 - 3rd gen long? Major. Will need to know the length and date code.
36 - 3rd gen Major
37 - 3rd gen Junior
38 - 3rd gen Major. Seamed plastic. Nothing too unusual about seamed plastic, but something I noticed.
39 - 3rd gen Major
40 - Challenger?
41 - 3rd gen Major
42 - 1st gen Slender
43 - 1st gen Junior
44 - 3rd gen Sub Debutante
1, 3, 7, 9, 12, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 25, 26 - Parker 21s
24 - Parker 51 Vacumatic
27 - Parker 51 Vacumatic - Jeweler's Band Cap
6, 28 - Parker VS
29 - Parker "Toothbrush" Duofold
30 - Deluxe Challenger
2, 4, 6, 8, 10/11, 13, 14, 15, 16 - Parker 51 - Note 10/11 have Jeweler's Band Cap
49 - 1st gen Standard
55 - Sheaffer Stratowriter

#25290 Parker 51s, Vacumatics, 61-2plus1 set & odd box

Posted by m1928 on 17 May 2013 - 10:24 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Cannot add much to the above regarding the pens.

However:

One pen person I have done some work with offered me $10 a pen saying they were all standard run of the mill pens.
That may or may not be the case - they will end up on eBay at some point.

In your shoes this would have been the last business I came close to doing with this person.

I agree -
and I counted my fingers after hanging up the phone.

#25261 Parker 51s, Vacumatics, 61-2plus1 set & odd box

Posted by m1928 on 16 May 2013 - 11:12 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Parkers, Parkers everywhere and nary a one have I owned in the past.
I know my early Watermans - I love flexible nibs and using them and have never gone the Parker route.
One of the images of the Vacumatics was "de-keystoned" so the proportions might not be right - the one of the pens opened up was left alone.
One pen person I have done some work with offered me $10 a pen saying they were all standard run of the mill pens.
That may or may not be the case - they will end up on eBay at some point.

The odd "plastic" box - - 2 - 3 inches tall - nice artwork - I have no idea what it ever held - I doubt if it was a pen but cool none the less.

The Parker 61 set - I do not think the fountain pen was ever used -- unless the material that would hold the ink can be cleaned enough to look new.
Two are a set - the fountain pen and pencil. There is a ball point pen with them that does not have the gray jewels and is a little off in the gold color -- but impressive looking set. The outsides have some scuffing as they rolled around loose in the box. The top of the box does not match the pens as it is pretty dirty and has ink stains.

50 - is a good sized BHR pencil - note the size next to pen 51
51 - Autofiller pen - as large as one of my 58s with a nice flexible nib -- yes this one makes me happy. The nib may find its way on my 58 if ti will work as I have beat up the nib on it pretty well.
52 - Is this a Franken pen where someone has combined "their" favorite colors?
53 - a desk pen
54 - Waterman safety - I think it is a 42 with a nice flexible nib.
55 - early ballpoint pen - I like the metal condom they put on the end
56 - also in the box was this random Tiffany pen.

My wife will not let me keep them all -- go figure.
I will post others from the case as I have time.

If you want to share any information about them I would love to read about them because as I said I have been a Waterman guy.

Attached Thumbnails

• Vacumatics30-44.jpg
  • Vacumatic_AbWa.jpg
  • Parker_CbWs18-30TOPS.jpg
  • Parker_CbWs18-30.jpg
  • Parker51_CbWs1-17TOPs.jpg
  • Parker51_CbWs1-17.jpg
  • Vacumatic_45-48.jpg
  • Mix_AW49-56.jpg
  • BoxwS.jpg
  • Parker61Gold3pc_aW.jpg