dr.grace's Content

There have been 10 items by dr.grace (Search limited from 17-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#28760 A visit with Fred

Posted by dr.grace on 28 September 2013 - 06:30 PM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

Thanks for this account, Jon!

BTW, it looks like 60 has been kind to you. Alas, apparently not as kind to me (same age.)

#27961 Modern Pen Prices

Posted by dr.grace on 26 August 2013 - 04:34 PM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

A Lamy Safari for $680+, a sight I never thought I would see. I can't understand why someone who is willing to spend that kind of money on a pen would spend it on a Safari. As they say, to each his own.....

$790 Bucks! Can probably get antique or uncommon vintage for that kind of cash. Then again, I think modern pens stink on ice, so I'm biased.

Also love poking fun at the "Cult of Lamy" folks ever since I found topic about Safari colors here .

Call me a pen history snob-- but as pointed out-- this pen is only 33 years old. A whopping 645 posts about it in *pen history*?

Pink, magenta, or mauve? Lets just call it purple & also call it a day.

Seriously, I wonder how many colors the human eye can actually see & how many are just marketing gimmicks?

Yellow or Saffron? In pen history...:blink:

Like you said, "To each his own." No accounting for taste I guess. Hope winner enjoys his or her $800 pen! : )

Blech, it isn't even an attractive pen! (In my opinion.) And I agree, I do not get the cost of most modern pens. And find the "limited edition" forced scarcity thing obnoxious as all get out.

Heh! It looks like a regulation army issue OD green (olive drab.)

Limited edition pens in cammo anyone?

Kind of gives new spin on "pen" & "hunting." : D

--Bruce

I basically agree. But I guess the same thing could be said of the Parker 51 colors. Burgundy? Let's call it plum.

All of us collectors essentially have the same disease, just different manifestations.

#27827 Ebay Auction - Very surprized

Posted by dr.grace on 23 August 2013 - 12:17 AM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

Probably the purchaser was a shill. But why it would be relisted at a higher price, rather than a lower one, is odd indeed. Maybe the seller had been expecting a much higher price, then saw that the auction wasn't going his way and intervened using a shill account. Then, he listed a BIN for the imagined, unrealistically high price.

#27374 Fair price for Vac on ebay?

Posted by dr.grace on 02 August 2013 - 02:59 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Funny, I was just thinking about sending it to Danny Fudge.

#27350 Fair price for Vac on ebay?

Posted by dr.grace on 01 August 2013 - 01:55 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

very nice nib--i'd say you got the pen for a good price. it's a first-generation slender, a kind of mini version of the standard. i saw an NOS lockdown filler unit sell on ebay just a few days go (i was an underbidder), so they do come up now and then. your other option might be to find a donor pen, from which you can salvage a filler.

OK, can I ask whether I got a reasonable price for this one?

It's got the wrong filler unit, but otherwise it seems like it could be made presentable. And it's got what looks like a factory stub.

Is there someone who has a spare lockdown filler unit? I can't find them sold anywhere.

Thanks!

Don

Yes, you're right, a donor pen might be the ticket. (But I've grown a bit wary of how this escalates for me, because next I'd want to find another pen that can replace the missing parts of the donor pen, etc.)

#27347 Fair price for Vac on ebay?

Posted by dr.grace on 31 July 2013 - 10:37 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

OK, can I ask whether I got a reasonable price for this one?

It's got the wrong filler unit, but otherwise it seems like it could be made presentable. And it's got what looks like a factory stub.

Is there someone who has a spare lockdown filler unit? I can't find them sold anywhere.

Thanks!

Don

#26668 Conway Stewart - the true history

Posted by dr.grace on 27 June 2013 - 06:23 PM in BRITISH PENS

To me, it amounts to a big "who cares?".

I expect your view is shared by many. But there are plenty that do care as well and I am sure we will continue to pursue the matter here for a little time yet.

All those who don't care should simply skip the topic and move on to the next one.

Andy

(Now awaiting a further response from Jon telling me how rude I have been.....!)

I was expecting far worse!
…moving on to the next topic...

#26665 Conway Stewart - the true history

Posted by dr.grace on 27 June 2013 - 04:30 PM in BRITISH PENS

To me, it amounts to a big "who cares?", for the following reason: most people who buy modern and vintage pens do so for different reasons. The modern Sheaffers and Parkers to me have little in common with the classic models of the thirties and forties and are a lot less interesting, IMO. But modern buyers look for different features. The point is, people have to judge the modern pens by their merits. I'd say Pelikan pens have a substantial continuity to the line, but other makers, much less so.

#25790 Take the Quiz

Posted by dr.grace on 29 May 2013 - 11:51 PM in What's New in Your Life

Wow, it pegged me perfectly as Philadelphian, even though I think I don't have a strong Philly accent.

#24826 Who Made This Music Nib/Pen?

Posted by dr.grace on 07 May 2013 - 04:41 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Years ago, I found one of these in a stash of my grandfather's effects, but it was missing some pieces and could only be used as a dip pen. Now I can see what it was supposed to look like!