Pedro's Content

There have been 7 items by Pedro (Search limited from 21-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#40860 OS Balance Star Pen

Posted by Pedro on 08 May 2015 - 08:52 PM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

The thought of David with a slide guitar and Pat with a blues harp is strangely appealing. ;)

#40835 OS Balance Shield Pen

Posted by Pedro on 07 May 2015 - 09:30 PM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

Thanks!  That was quick!

I have an Oldsmobile OS Balance.

#40832 OS Balance Shield Pen

Posted by Pedro on 07 May 2015 - 09:01 PM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

From Matt's link:

Oldsmobile%2012.jpg

#40826 Back from the Dead

Posted by Pedro on 07 May 2015 - 07:38 PM in What's New in Your Life

Hi!  I am so glad I went to the Chicago Pen Show!  After a being busier at the office than the proverbial one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest and gone through a rough couple of year, that's all I needed to get back into this hobby of ours.  "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in."  -Michael Corleone in The Godfather III

Story #1: Water Everywhere

One dreary winter day, I took my wife out for the weekend and great fun was had by all.  We returned home, parked the car in the garage late Sunday night (actually Monday 1:00 am) and as my wife made it in the house, she turned around facing me and burst in tears.  As I got to her, I realized that it was "raining" inside.  I always wanted a waterfall feature in our home but this was too much: water dripping from the ceiling, down the walls, filling our light fixtures, and down the stairs!

I ran upstairs against the stream of water and found a burst braided steel flexible hose in our son's bathroom (he's out in college).  Then, just in case ran down the basement to close the water main to encounter about 2 inches of water in the basement.  I always wanted an indoor pool too!

Our house was gutted to the studs, no drywall, no hardwood floors nor carpeting in our 2-story 5-bedroom Victorian with a tower.

Story #2: I had a C-section!

I never believed it when hearing stories about women giving birth without knowing they were pregnant until...

So on a Friday, after having breakfast with my wife, I had what doctors would describe as minimal abdominal discomfort.  Saturday did not feel any better and for my tummy ache I took PeptoBismol.  Sunday fare worse and my ever-worrying wife took me to ER.

There, a large mass was detected and I was rushed by ambulance to a large hospital...where 3 days and 27 staples later, gave birth to Little Igor: a 4x6x1.5 inch semi-triangular leiomyoma.  Thank goodness that little sob was benign!

Anyway, being a Sheaffer OS Balance man (slightly Oversized and supposedly psychologically Balanced) I was able to get 2 cool pens in this year's Chicago Pen Show, so go check the Sheaffer threads.

Glad to be back.

#40822 OS Balance #8 Pen

Posted by Pedro on 07 May 2015 - 06:56 PM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

Thankfully, a great vendor saved this one for me at this year's Chicago Pen Show.  As soon as he saw me, he showed me the pen: a 1929 first-year OS Balance with the long humped clip touching the cap band and a pinned lever.  Then I opened the cap to reveal (drumroll, please) a Flexible #8 nib!

gallery_3314_514_2436543.jpg

gallery_3314_514_2522412.jpg

#40821 OS Balance Star Pen

Posted by Pedro on 07 May 2015 - 06:47 PM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

Luckily, someone who shall remain nameless did not get this one at this year's Chicago Pen Show... a black OS Balance with a 5-point Star emblem between the top of its 14K clip and White Dot, and a wider than Autograph 14K cap band.  So far, one other board member has one other such pen with a very interesting difference.  However, we do not know the meaning of the Star: Military, Award, Good Behaviour?

gallery_3314_514_3831485.jpg

gallery_3314_514_299097.jpg

gallery_3314_514_3012847.jpg

Any ideas?

#40820 OS Balance Shield Pen

Posted by Pedro on 07 May 2015 - 06:38 PM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

Last year, at the Chicago Pen Show, I was able to obtain yet another OS Balance pen.  This one has a shield emblem of unknown origin or meaning.  I even took this pen to its "home" in Fort Madison, IA with no other information other than "yeah, we did that to pens".

gallery_3314_514_2575471.jpg

gallery_3314_514_1123095.jpg

Anyone?  Anyone?