A K M Adam's Content

There have been 3 items by A K M Adam (Search limited from 21-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#44035 PFM or Imperial

Posted by A K M Adam on 05 August 2017 - 09:42 AM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

Greater minds than mine —

If one browses the net for pens, and comes upon a casually-photographed Sheaffer — one that, to an untrained (or only semi-trained) eye, looks as though it might be either an Imperial or a PFM — what are the best chances to differentiate the two?

Obviously if the filling system is specified or displayed, that will make it clear. Often, though, I see just the shape of the thing: familiar profile, wide band, somewhat chiseled-looking blind cap.

Is there a way to differentiate the two lines on the basis of a careless photograph?

#43962 What model Omas?

Posted by A K M Adam on 29 May 2017 - 12:44 PM in OTHER EUROPEAN and ASIAN PENS

Sometime in the 80s, my father went on a trip to Italy and brought back a FP/BP set as a gift. I used it regularly — the fountain pen at least😉 — but somewhere between when I arrived in Evanston IL and when I began collecting pens in Durham NC, I lost the fountain pen in the set. I've kept my eyes open for a replacement, but it's been harder since I didn't know how to specify the OMAS model. I just happened to see one the other day and picked it up, so the pair is complete again (albeit the FP is not the same one as my dad gave me).

Does anyone know what model OMAS these are? (Sheaffer Imperial included to illustrate scale.)

Attached Thumbnails

• File 28-05-2017, 19 45 35.jpeg

#43698 Sheriff Fountain Pens

Posted by A K M Adam on 15 October 2016 - 02:03 PM in BRITISH PENS

I have a little bit to add to this thread now I've drawn on the expertise of Henry Simpole.

The pen I bought cane equipped with a dip pen nib (I didn't think to look at first), which was quite dysfunctional with this lever-filler. Henry supplied a working nib, and all is now well. If this happens to be the same pen as described earlier in the thread, though, I would simply add that someone was misrepresenting the pen; it is neither an eye-dropper filler (very obvious lever) nor suitable for a dip pen nib.

I'd be very thankful, though, if anyone could add to what little has been turned up so far about the manufacturers of The Sheriff.

Attached Thumbnails

• FPNuts Sherriff.jpg