ljwahl's Content

There have been 47 items by ljwahl (Search limited from 25-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#34220 51 cap jewel

Posted by ljwahl on 25 March 2014 - 12:10 PM in Want Lists and Trade Offers

Thanks for the suggestion, Paul. Maybe I'll try him again-- I have one other sample from the same seller (I bought a whole replacement cap a while back) that just seems too "milky."

At least it could act as a placeholder until I'm able to find an original.

#34182 51 cap jewel

Posted by ljwahl on 22 March 2014 - 12:40 AM in Want Lists and Trade Offers

Please let me know if you have an extra for sale by PM, and thanks.

Larry

#34012 Sheaffer Crest on Ebay.

Posted by ljwahl on 15 March 2014 - 02:43 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Beautiful, first gen, looks new old stock and stickered, and obviously in the wrong box-- but what is the interesting feature that I'm missing?

#33938 two crazy lots at auction

Posted by ljwahl on 12 March 2014 - 12:21 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Well-- I'm going to disagree with you on the Parker 61-- I think it's a DJ 51 because of the shadow line apparent on the barrel tassie itself. Also think you might have an all gold-filled Sheaffer Snorkel to the right in the pic. As to the Swan-- outside of my expertise but the profiles sure look the same. Are you concerned about the color difference between barrel and cap?

Blue Conway set looks great-- and let's hope the boxes have something inside! (though that'd be like finding another ace in your hand...)

#32716 Sheaffer's Balance meets Dr. Who. Curse of the Black Spot.

Posted by ljwahl on 22 January 2014 - 04:22 PM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

1. Thanks, David, for the link to the earlier post-- excellent information, as usual!

2. ok, wartime metal, but pre-war style? Using old tooling and stock to move items during the war?

3. white feed is wartime as well... lending credence to idea in #2?

But why the black dot?

L

#32708 WTB Cap for Duofold Jr. burgundy/black

Posted by ljwahl on 22 January 2014 - 01:10 PM in Want Lists and Trade Offers

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

#32707 Sheaffer's Balance meets Dr. Who. Curse of the Black Spot.

Posted by ljwahl on 22 January 2014 - 01:06 PM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

A number SEVEN Feather Touch nib? Didn't know such a creature existed. Black dot is really odd, but a Feather Touch nib should not have a white dot, so... just can't figure out why there is a dot there at all.

In general, what do we know about non-Lifetime oversize pens? Were they standard offerings? Just seems like "oversize", even then, most often went along with "deluxe", including the best features of a particular line. Is this corect?

The white feed is an odd duck, but a known duck just the same from this period.

Looking forward to any more insight you can provide...

Larry

#32379 I FOUND MY GRAIL PEN!

Posted by ljwahl on 14 January 2014 - 12:03 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Congratulations, Greg! Really, the most beautiful pen of its kind, and your set looks to be in great condition.

This one is at the top of my list as well and, like you, has been there for years. Glad you found yours on the West Coast-- I'll keep looking on the East Coast!

#32126 Taking a Risk on eBay

Posted by ljwahl on 09 January 2014 - 02:18 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Wow-- great to see a risk that turned out so well!

Beautiful pen, and beautiful restoration.

#31590 Local charity shop came up trumps

Posted by ljwahl on 01 January 2014 - 04:29 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Excellent find-- it really shows that persistence pays off!

I'd agree with Carlos on the early 1970s-- I, too, have the version just after yours with Parker in back on the cap and slim converter.

Enjoy!

Larry

#31056 My 2 Burgundy Finds o' The Week. Parker and Sheaffer:

Posted by ljwahl on 29 December 2013 - 04:55 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

But, the Sheaffer Junior deviates from the USA standard. Anyone care to offer details, or shall I?

regards

david

No streamlining?

#30990 My Christmas Presents

Posted by ljwahl on 29 December 2013 - 01:52 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

Two very beautiful pens-- nice finds and nice work!

#30947 Conklin Crescent 2P BCHR w/Spring Clip

Posted by ljwahl on 28 December 2013 - 07:17 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

The pressure bar is just a flat bar, to which the Crescent is welded. The (three) Crescent fillers I've repaired have all been friction fit sections-- but as always it's an easy bet to hedge if you just work the section as if it's threaded when you go to open it up. The locking ring-- my guess is that there is dried ink which is causing the ring to stick to the barrel. I would work it gently every which way, dry, to see if I could loosen it.

#30768 How to tell what size my Toothbrush Duofold is?

Posted by ljwahl on 26 December 2013 - 10:43 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

I'm pretty sure this is the larger size...

#30765 It's a 75, right?

Posted by ljwahl on 26 December 2013 - 09:26 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

You're right, ceejaybee-- it's a French-made set, and with matching clip and tassie to the FP and BP, I'll take your advice and call the soft tip a 75. I've included three more pictures-- I think the dotted tassie insert in the soft tip cap is neat.

French Flighter Set
75 Fibre Tip Tassie Insert
75 Cap Engraving

Unfortunately, the set came with no paperwork or convertor, and the FP cap rotates when closed, but all appears unused.

I used my own Parker convertor, and the fine point nib writes well. Looks like I'm stuck with FP cap rotation unless I wish to replace the inner cap with the older style inner cap and clutch fingers.

The BP refill still works and the Fibre Tip refill is dried up. After doing some poking around about these refills, I pulled the back cap with long pliers and dripped some Quink FP ink on the absorbent material in the refill-- no luck yet but am hoping maybe it will work. Sure wish I could get fresh ones! I've seen David N's work-around to put a BIC ballpoint in these, but with the BP as part of this set that would be redundant (plus I'd never write with it!). Any other ideas?

Thanks for helping me to figure this out. 

#30577 It's a 75, right?

Posted by ljwahl on 19 December 2013 - 11:16 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

I think you pegged it, Matt! Thanks very much for the insight and the link. So with your help, I'm going to guess that it's a French-made set of 75bp, 75fp, and 35 soft tip-- maybe a special package deal for Renault?

#30564 It's a 75, right?

Posted by ljwahl on 19 December 2013 - 02:56 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

75's are not a core focus for me, but could the RB be a 45?

Nor mine-- but I think all the stainless 45s have the black end cap on the barrel, don't they? This one seems to have a gold disk. Note the FP seems to have a regular 75-style bottom tassie.

#30560 It's a 75, right?

Posted by ljwahl on 19 December 2013 - 01:01 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Picked up this three-piece set yesterday and present the auction photos for your review:

Set
uncapped

I think it's a 75 set, but the size of the fountain pen in the capped photo, relative to the ballpoint, has me wondering-- and the section of the felt tip/ rollerball, in the uncapped photo, doesn't look like the typical 75 section. Maybe the first is just a distorted photo? And could this be a post-Systemark section for the rollerball?

Nevertheless, the section and nib of the fountain pen tells me this must be a U.S.-made Flighter set... doesn't it?

FWIW, the third auction photo showed the closed box, with Parker logo and another logo, "Renault Vehicule Industriels." The no-gold-band cap also confirms U.S.-made for foreign market, according to Lih-Tah Wong's Parker75 site...

#30334 Four Moderns on eBay

Posted by ljwahl on 10 December 2013 - 01:15 PM in Pens for Sale

I've posted four modern pens on eBay: a Centennial Mosaic Duofold, a Parker 100 in blue, a Conway Stewart Dandy Demonstrator, and a Waterman Carene Special Edition in Prussian Blue. All these I purchased new, before I discovered vintage pens, and used little. If the prices look too high, make an offer. Thanks!

My seller name is the same as my name here: ljwahl

Just doing U.S. sales and shipping on these.

#29790 Pelikan 111

Posted by ljwahl on 19 November 2013 - 01:01 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Excellent restoration and pics-- congrats!

#28976 Did I get a Ripley Vacumatic?

Posted by ljwahl on 06 October 2013 - 10:13 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

I saw this one and was scared off by the cap. If it turns out to be a Ripley, and you find a way to repair it-- WOW! If neither works out, you still will have some great parts for a very good deal.

Please let us know when it shows up!

#28801 WTB Cap for Duofold Jr. burgundy/black

Posted by ljwahl on 30 September 2013 - 11:55 AM in Want Lists and Trade Offers

Title says it all except condition should be B/B+, darkening of color OK.

Please let me know if you have such a cap and would be willing to send it my way.

Thanks!
Larry

#28193 New Acquisitions.... And Questions

Posted by ljwahl on 03 September 2013 - 12:02 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

I'd say you did very well-- that medallion on the cap of the 61, visible only in the first pic, indicates a first edition. The 51 probably has a fine nib and feed-- the hood is just twisted (maybe screwed off a 1/4 turn?), or the hood was off at some point, the nib and feed rotated, and the hood reassembled-- either way should be an easy fix.

Your total price would have been OK for either one of these pens alone, assuming the plastic and arrow of the 61 are ok. Together, with a couple of Wearevers thrown in for a bonus-- you got a very good bargain.

As to refrosting-- I'd say live with them a bit and see if you find it really necessary. I've not found a reliable way to do it on my own; a green Scotch Brite pad will give you a scratch finish, but it's really nothing like either the original scratch finish (vac caps) or the etched finish (aerometric caps). I've only used one on a couple of caps that just had very inconsistent finishes, and I didn't want to send them out. I have like-new caps and well-worn caps, and I enjoy them all as they are.

#25760 ebay watch

Posted by ljwahl on 29 May 2013 - 03:16 PM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

Ok-- I'm not seeing anything here-- maybe a demonstrator Jotter pencil?

The 51 "pencil" is Liquid Lead, the 45 is a soft tip....

Even the 51 pen cap has the clip line running the circumference.

What am I missing?

#25217 By gum, it might be a plum!

Posted by ljwahl on 15 May 2013 - 11:39 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

As promised, here is a picture of the demi plum to the right of a full-sized 1948 burgundy aero in daylight:

Posted Image

Over the years, I've pulled out one or the other of my burgundy 51s and wondered if it weren't, in fact, a plum-- but the difference in person is striking. The purple is no-doubt-different.

By the way, also included in the lot are (from top to bottom in original picture):
1. A Waterman 52V, badly worn and discolored, with a missing clip and chunk out of the cap lip the size of a thumbnail-- but with a great nib, section, and lever box.
2. A no-name "Caravan" with no cap and plated nib. Probably a good j-bar in there...
3. The Plum, demi-size, worn imprint but perfect full chrome filler, and perfect fine nib.
4. A Midnight Blue, full-size 51 Aero, 1950, without cap and with the first-ever bad pli-glass sac I've encountered. I'll use the pen to try one of David N's new sacs. The nib has a bit of a turned-up nose, like someone pressed the pen to paper too strongly, but it's all there.
5. A capless Eberhard Faber lever-filler, with a nice 14K nib-- a bit misshapen but with flex. If any of you want this, let me know and I'll send it along.

Thanks for looking, and happy hunting!