Gary D's Content

There have been 29 items by Gary D (Search limited from 29-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#33368 Montblanc L129 - Myth pen for sale

Posted by Gary D on 17 February 2014 - 07:43 PM in Pens for Sale

I don't understand, it's a rare pen so you're not going to post how much you want for it?  Very nice pen though - gotta love MB!

Gary

#32292 MAJOR UPDATE TO vintagepenmarketplace WEBSITE!

Posted by Gary D on 12 January 2014 - 11:20 PM in Pens for Sale

The layout of your site is very nice. Thanks!

Gary

#31871 Okay, it's live.... the pre launch sneak peak....

Posted by Gary D on 04 January 2014 - 01:13 PM in Pens for Sale

I second what David has suggested.  I periodically use computers that will not automatically open my email.  However, I love the site and the ease in which it can be navigated - I've bookmarked your site, thanks.

Gary

#31676 Hello from BC

Posted by Gary D on 02 January 2014 - 06:03 PM in Say Hello!

Hello Dave,

I grew up in North Vancouver, some of my best memories are in BC, however I'm in Nova Scotia now. I'm relatively new to FP and to this board and it's nice to see another Canadian! Are there many FP stores out your way?

Gary

#31537 Starting a Parker Collection..

Posted by Gary D on 31 December 2013 - 11:15 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

So, I've been converted - and who couldn't like Parker pens, the founders are such nice people!  The Great Grandson has co-authored a book - has anyone read it?  Any recommendations for books on Collecting Parker. 

Gary

You already had one: the Shepperd and Zazove's book on Duofold (old and news), which is now on my working table along with my black Duofolds. See below:

gallery_80555_350_27208.jpg

But I would also consider a more generalist book, such as Andrea Lambrou's Fountain Pens of the World. Apart from being a very beautiful book, it can open your mind to vintage pens other than Parker.

I must have missed that recommendation.  Nibs.com has Fountain Pens of the World - I'll place an order with them for that book this week.  I can't find the Shepperd and Zazove's book anywhere though, I'll keep my eye open for that.

Gary

#31459 Starting a Parker Collection..

Posted by Gary D on 31 December 2013 - 01:15 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Gary, just as an aside, rereading your initial note about Parker (which we split from your Hello thread), did you actually say you  don't want to collect Parker?  I think I misread and then hit you with all this Parker stuff.

Was this all for naught?  ;)

regards

d

lol What  I said was that I am not a big fan of Parker.  However, the reason I stated that was the style of the 51 hood doesn't appeal to me.  This is probably basic information for you all but I didn't know that the Parker 51 is named as such because it was introduced in Parker's 51st year.  What I didn't realize is the variety of pens that Parker produced.  That said, if I were to collect Parker it would either be the Vacumatic or Duofold.

So, I've been converted - and who couldn't like Parker pens, the founders are such nice people!  The Great Grandson has co-authored a book - has anyone read it?  Any recommendations for books on Collecting Parker. 

Gary

#31428 Starting a Parker Collection..

Posted by Gary D on 31 December 2013 - 04:11 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Thanks for the link http://vintagepensbl...rch/label/fakes - I've bookmarked it for reference.  

This whole thread is an incredible read - it makes it so much easier to learn when there are so many knowledgable people like yourselves out there.  I like Rick Krantz's idea of a sampling from a particular period from various makers.  However, Parker is indeed very interesting with a very diverse selection of pens.  

Gary

#31308 My 2 Burgundy Finds o' The Week. Parker and Sheaffer:

Posted by Gary D on 30 December 2013 - 05:10 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

It must have something to do with us Canadians, eh?

#31283 Starting a Parker Collection..

Posted by Gary D on 30 December 2013 - 02:57 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Edit by Ye Olde Admin:  In his HELLO post, Gary noted an interest in Parker pens.  The Parker question has been split from the original thread for fresh consideration in the Parker Forum.

Hey David;

I have a five and dime pen - a Keko!  However, I would be interested in starting a collection that can tell a story about the history of Fountain Pens.  I don't know why but I'm not a big fan of Parker.  Any suggestions?

Gary

Just finished watching an interesting interview with Geoff Parker the Great Grandson of Mr. Parker.  He talks a bit about the history and collecting of pens.  For those that haven't watched it here is the link: http://parkerpens.net/media.html

Gary

#31277 My latest...

Posted by Gary D on 30 December 2013 - 01:46 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Your killing me here David - the Carmine is stunning and since they look nothing like what I already have my wife would immediately pick up on me having new pens. lol  

Gary

#31276 Starting a Parker Collection..

Posted by Gary D on 30 December 2013 - 01:41 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

As a "casual" Parker person I find it hard to go past the P51 Aerometric as "the" Parker to start with. It combines performance, ink capacity ,durability and "kerb creed" in a single package. Another iconic pen is the early red Duofold in either senior ( the "big red") or the cheaper Junior version. Another "must have" is a P45 for the reason it was such a long running model that combined quality, performance and durability in a fairly inexpensive package although lack the prestige of other models. The 75 is another classic but it all depends on how much you want to spend and how you want ti use it.

Personally I'd suggest a 51 as a good starting point .

Regards

Hugh

Hugh;

It appears there are a number of ways to go when collecting the P51's as there are so many different areas to focus on.  However, as I said in another post about Sheaffer and the nib being covered - the P51's don't appeal to me.  Maybe if I held one I would see things differently.  I first thought of KitchenAide appliances when I first looked at the variation and type of colours of the P51's.   

Gary

#31274 My latest...

Posted by Gary D on 30 December 2013 - 01:31 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

I like the look of the Balance - I don't particularily like the Shaeffer's that have the nib in a sort of sleeve.  

Gary

#31271 My latest...

Posted by Gary D on 30 December 2013 - 01:00 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Nice and classy looking - when were these produced?

Gary

#31197 Starting a Parker Collection..

Posted by Gary D on 30 December 2013 - 01:29 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Gary,

Is the MB 206 filling? If so do not bother to check the sac, it should be ok.

Don't send that 206 to MB, they don't have the parts and probably not even the skills for that sort of repair. It is rather easy and you can do it yourself.

I have some 206 and I can do a photo manual showing how to open it and change the sac. You will only need to buy a sac and some shellac. If you are in US David Nishimura can help you, if you are in Europe, Peter Twydle can help you herethere also.

Let me know if you need help

That would be exceptional if you could do a photo manual!  

Gary

#31194 Starting a Parker Collection..

Posted by Gary D on 30 December 2013 - 01:26 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Gary,

Is the MB 206 filling? If so do not bother to check the sac, it should be ok.

Don't send that 206 to MB, they don't have the parts and probably not even the skills for that sort of repair. It is rather easy and you can do it yourself.

I have some 206 and I can do a photo manual showing how to open it and change the sac. You will only need to buy a sac and some shellac. If you are in US David Nishimura can help you, if you are in Europe, Peter Twydle can help you herethere also.

Let me know if you need help

It actually fills very nicely - I just purchased it off FPN shortly before they went down.  I would like to use it at work but fear that the sac may fail if it's old resulting in a bit of a mess.  Trying to be a little proactive.

Gary

#31176 Starting a Parker Collection..

Posted by Gary D on 30 December 2013 - 12:08 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Starting a Parker collection is quite easy, you can find tons of pens in decent condition on markets and on the internet. From which model to start it's different, my first vintage pen was a Vacumatic, and this was the first pen I've ever repaired (ok, actually we can't talk of repair, at most it's a resack), soon other Vacs followed, and 75s, and 51s, then I discovered Sheaffers, etc. etc. but probably the best first pens to start a collection are the 75s, it's not difficult to determine the condition of the pen by the (usually blurry) photos on internet, and there are no hidden parts or filling mechanisms to repair.

When collecting Parker's are there many counterfeits to watch out for?  Particularly the Duofolds?

Gary

#31175 Starting a Parker Collection..

Posted by Gary D on 30 December 2013 - 12:06 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

I have heard of individuals sending their pens to MB for adjustments of some sort and to have the pen returned to them completely overhauled including new barrels etc.,  I don't know how old the sac is in my 206 and I really don't have the means to do it myself so I'm thinking of just sending it in to ensure the sac is good.

The red 1926 Senior Duofold is sweet and is a pen that I would definitely consider.  The colour is awesome, mainly because it rubs against the traditional black or darker colours I see for pens in that era.  I'm new at this so maybe I haven't seen enough pens to make that assumption.

Gary

Gary, I've heard the same thing. In fact ever since I got an interest in MB pens from the 1960s and 1970s I have been able to see myself how hard rubber feeds or original valuable 14C or 18C nibs from that era have been ruthlessly replaced with modern parts by MB after sale service. My advice is that you look for a good repairman in the USA to fix your 206. I'm sure in this Forum you'll be pointed to some of these experts. It'll be safer than sending the pen to the MB official repair service and surely cheaper too.

With regard the red Duofold I entirely agree with you. That tangerine red colour should have been a revolution back in the 1920s, and the fact that it had such a good reception speaks of the apetite for new designs of that era. This is my Big red:

gallery_80555_350_120337.jpg

Beautiful!  And this is the history that I have referred to earlier - what inspired a colour such as this? What was going on at that time in areas such as fashion, etc.  Again, what a nice pen.  On another note - my wife has become quite savvy at figuring out that I'm about to purchase something when she sees a theme of what I'm looking at on my laptop!  If she were to see a pen as distinctive as this she would automatically give the evil eye!  lol 

Gary

#31147 Starting a Parker Collection..

Posted by Gary D on 29 December 2013 - 09:35 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

My pleasure Gary.

The Montblanc's that you collect, does it make a difference to you if they are in original condition or completely overhauled?

As a general principle, it does make a difference to me whether a pen is or not in original condition. All my Parkers and Sheaffers are in mint original condition. My red 1926 Senior Duofold certainly is. However, when talking of vintage MB I feel I have to relax that rule as most pens from the late 1930s and 1940s have been reassembled from parts either during the harsh war and post-war times or recently by unscrupulous dealers. Of course there are vintage MB pens in original condition, but is difficult to tell them apart and they generally come at high prices.

I have heard of individuals sending their pens to MB for adjustments of some sort and to have the pen returned to them completely overhauled including new barrels etc.,  I don't know how old the sac is in my 206 and I really don't have the means to do it myself so I'm thinking of just sending it in to ensure the sac is good.

The red 1926 Senior Duofold is sweet and is a pen that I would definitely consider.  The colour is awesome, mainly because it rubs against the traditional black or darker colours I see for pens in that era.  I'm new at this so maybe I haven't seen enough pens to make that assumption.

Gary

#31143 Starting a Parker Collection..

Posted by Gary D on 29 December 2013 - 09:24 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

I think it is a good idea to try to round out mini-collections, such as trying to get all colors of a certain model.

I think, this is a great advice: I just love mini-collections, or sub-collections as I call them. I also like to photograph them as a group.
Here my Duofolds:

6992219787_0d9e0b5208_b.jpg

And here my Gray Vacumatics:

7453177176_385c3d98bb_b.jpg

And a range of "51"

7194192604_20d9787a2a_b.jpg

Parkers in the same color...and so on...

10593555666_9a793502df_b.jpg

...these are no Parkers, but one of my favourite, sub-collections

11631107363_110e254729_b.jpg

Christof

Christof;

Thank you and thank you.  The only thing that really turned me off of Parker were the 51's for some reason - that's just me.  However, WOW, those Duofold's are one nice fountain pen and your Vacumatic's are stunning!  Typically, in what condition are these pens when you purchase them?  Once again, thanks for the post and what a great collection.

Gary

#31141 Starting a Parker Collection..

Posted by Gary D on 29 December 2013 - 09:19 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

One thing I would suggest is to learn to do simple repairs - polishing, sac replacement, etc.  This will save you a bit of money and provide a lot of satisfaction.  That is one reason I started with vintage Parkers.  They came apart easily, and you could basically disassemble the whole pen by just screwing apart the pieces.  Later on, however, the vacumatic filling system is a little tricky to repair, and you need a few special tools.  Parker Duofolds from the 20's are a good place to start.

I would also suggest Waterman's.  These pens stuck with a lever filling system longer than most - making them easy to repair.  Waterman always stuck with things longer than most other manufacturers - hard rubber, lever filling, etc.  These are easy to work on and come in a variety of sizes and models - including many beautiful overlays.  I think it is a good idea to try to round out mini-collections, such as trying to get all colors of a certain model. 

Thanks for the advice Allan - makes total sense and is a great way to really get to know a "fountain pen" when one takes it apart.

Gary

#31140 Starting a Parker Collection..

Posted by Gary D on 29 December 2013 - 09:15 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

A few images

Parker Vacumatic

pen3213sm.jpg

Parker Duofold

pen2594sm.jpg

Parker 75

pen3360sm.jpg

Parker 51

pen2789sm.jpg

regards

David

What a beautiful Duofold - that's the Parker that does appeal to me and one that I would consider collecting.  I've noticed a number of makers that copy that look.

Gary

#31138 Starting a Parker Collection..

Posted by Gary D on 29 December 2013 - 09:13 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Hello Gary,

I like your idea of starting a collection that can tell the story about the history of fountain pens. As for me, if my own experience is of any use, I would add that the collection should also tell a story about my own life. On top of that, what I demand from pens, either vintage or modern, is that they write well. I don't collect pens that are useless as writers. It doesn't have any sense to me.

Taking all that into account, my collection does not include a single brand, but a few of them, mainly Sheaffer, Waterman, Montblanc ... and Parker!!! I've put Parker in bold because, from all the brands mentioned, for me only Parker does fullfill all criteria at the same time. Therefore I have Sheaffer pens from the 1960s (the PFM and the so called "Imperial" line) as I was born in 1960 and they are representative of a period when fountain pens had to be re-invented to compete with ballpoint pens. I have also acquired Waterman pens from the early 1980s, like the LeMan 100, as they were the pens I would have liked to buy when I was at College -but couldn't afford- and, at the same time, they were representative of the rennaisance of fountain pens driven by Wall Street boom and the emergence of the "yuppies" . More recently I've fallen in love with vintage piston filler Montblanc pens from 1935-1955 because apart from being superb writers they are a methafore of the rise, fall and rebird of Germany before, during and after WWII, and a symbol of German engineering. But as for Parker ... I have found reasons to have Parker pens from all periods from 1926 to 1988!!!

As I started collecting pens I felt I had to own an iconic Parker Senior Duofold from the 1920s as they were referred to in an article I read in a train from San Sebastian to Madrid which arouse my interest for vintage fountain pens. A black Senior Duofolf and then the more representative orange one were my first acquisitions for my historically-informed collection. Then I went for the pen my dad used when I was a little boy and that fascinated me, particularly because I was forbiden to touch it ;-): a Parker 51. When I tried one at a shop in Madrid I was also deligthed at the way it wrote, and that was my second acquisition. Then I re-discovered the silver made cross-hatched Parker 75. I remember these pens from the time when I was a youngster, though I must confess I was not very much attracted by their look then. I am now. They have a superb design and are extremely comfortable to use. The fact that they are made of solid sterling silver also appeals to me. I have bagged myself a 1st year edition (1964) exemplar which writes smoothly and wonderfully. Then I discovered the Parker Vacumatic, which has no connection with my own personal experiences true, but they are such wonderful pens and were such a landmark in the history of pens. I think we can hardly imagine what people could think of these pens when they were launched in 1933 ... that they were pens from another world I guess!!! I have also included an under-rated 1967 Parker 45 in my collection. These were pens I received as a gift when I was a boy. Maybe they are dissaponting for die-hard vintage pen collector who are mainly attracted by top quality materials and complex filling systems, but they have a nice design and attacked a niche in the sixties and seventies, students who were also the target of ballpoint pens. And finally, my last acquisition, which has not yet arrived to my hands, is a Parker Duofold Centennial, collector's edition, from 1988, the first year of production.

As you see, by contrast with other brands, with Parker I've found reasons to acquire pens ranging from 1926 to 1988 ;-)

Sorry for the long post. 

Best

Carlos

Thank you very much for the post Carlos.  The one Parker that I do like are the Duofolds, there's something about them that appeals to me - I'm thinking that might be my next purchase if I see one with a decent price tag.  The Montblanc's that you collect, does it make a difference to you if they are in original condition or completely overhauled?

Gary

#31135 Starting a Parker Collection..

Posted by Gary D on 29 December 2013 - 09:04 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Edit by Ye Olde Admin:  In his HELLO post, Gary noted an interest in Parker pens.  The Parker question has been split from the original thread for fresh consideration in the Parker Forum.

Hey David;

I have a five and dime pen - a Keko!  However, I would be interested in starting a collection that can tell a story about the history of Fountain Pens.  I don't know why but I'm not a big fan of Parker.  Any suggestions?

Gary

Of course I meant Kreko instead of Keko.

Gary

#31133 Hello from Nova Scotia, Canada!

Posted by Gary D on 29 December 2013 - 08:59 PM in Say Hello!

Absolutely! And thanks for confirming for me my pen is Danish - I love that pen!

#30992 Starting a Parker Collection..

Posted by Gary D on 29 December 2013 - 03:05 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

Hey David;

Gary