RayCornett's Content

There have been 23 items by RayCornett (Search limited from 26-April 23)

Sort by                Order  

#37480 Monitor brand lever filler cap question

Posted by RayCornett on 25 September 2014 - 07:57 PM in R & R: (Repair and Restoration)

Here is an odd situation. I cleaned out this Monitor fountain pen. It had evidently been sitting too long and leaked in my pen box(nothing special, a cheap wood cigar box).

I had the cap sitting upright on my desk after I used a paper towel and water to clean out the inside of the cap while the nib and feed soak a bit. I just lifted the cap up off of my desk and noticed the sound of something small falling onto my desk. Apparently that little black round object came out from the inside.

Considering the size it looks like it would fit perfectly inside the end of the metal "tube" that is deep inside the cap. Either it is a thick plug of old ink, which is what some say it is,or it went all the way inside that tube against the underside of the top of the cap and served a purpose. However, it does not dissolve in hot water or ammonia and water pen flush. Anyone have a clue?

med_gallery_80709_404_605245.jpg

#36539 VictaPen Set

Posted by RayCornett on 21 August 2014 - 03:20 AM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

Just wondering if anyone might have any specifics on this company and/or set. Just received it today and didn't expect it to be a ladies/demi pen. Very small but still love it. If posted it is just inside my minimum size requirements for comfortable writing.gallery_80709_404_9474.jpg

#35574 WearEver Complete Model List?

Posted by RayCornett on 21 June 2014 - 07:56 AM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

Is there any site with a complete listing of WearEver models? I have a Pennant but the other two I have are models I either can't find or am not able to find the model name for.

#35573 WearEver Pennant Lever Needed

Posted by RayCornett on 21 June 2014 - 07:50 AM in Want Lists and Trade Offers

I am in need of a lever for the WearEver Pennant. If you have one available please message me.

#35572 Parker Knockoff?

Posted by RayCornett on 21 June 2014 - 07:47 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

hi,

Our GALLERY tab at top of page offers 25mb storage in each personal Album. Individual post-related uploads are 500kb, though that is a sum for all images uploaded to posts. GALLERY basically is a free pseudo-external host.

regards

d

Thanks. I added three images of this pens details to my gallery

Excellent. Next step is to go to your Gallery Page (best to open second tab), hit the "share" options. Copy the BBC code option line. Paste the BBC cod right into your post (no need to hit PHOTO ICON for that), and...

gallery_80709_404_880152.jpg

gallery_80709_404_137760.jpg

gallery_80709_404_542104.jpg

regards

d

Got it!

#35538 Parker Knockoff?

Posted by RayCornett on 20 June 2014 - 10:56 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

hi,

Our GALLERY tab at top of page offers 25mb storage in each personal Album. Individual post-related uploads are 500kb, though that is a sum for all images uploaded to posts. GALLERY basically is a free pseudo-external host.

regards

d

Thanks. I added three images of this pens details to my gallery

#35530 Parker Knockoff?

Posted by RayCornett on 20 June 2014 - 04:22 AM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

I have what I think is a Parker knockoff. Golden cap. Feather type stripes along the sides of the clip, nib and section are similar to 51, diamond imprint in the tip of the lever.

gallery_80709_404_137760.jpg

gallery_80709_404_542104.jpg

gallery_80709_404_880152.jpg

#35517 "American" Brand Fountain Pens

Posted by RayCornett on 19 June 2014 - 08:13 PM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

Unfortunately, moments ago I noticed that the tip of one of the tines of the American pen is now gone. I did see what appeared to be a scratch on the top of the nib and that us where it broke off. Apparently it was a crack. Looks like I have another regrind to do. I doubt I could find the same nib as a  replacement.

#35516 "American" Brand Fountain Pens

Posted by RayCornett on 19 June 2014 - 08:11 PM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

I have been advised that Taperites are fragile creatures but I only read it after completeing my first Taperite repair.  I just finished another with no problems whatsoever and it turned out to be a 'smiley' pen so I was well pleased.  It was an added bonus cos I bought the job lot for a Sheaffer Snorkel.  Thought it was a Fern but no such luck it was a Pastel so the Taperite made up for my disappointment.

I did see that it is advised to just leave the nib and feed and such alone because the plastic can be so fragile. I AM looking for someone who can do color anodizing to refinish the cap, though. If it is affordable.

#35501 "American" Brand Fountain Pens

Posted by RayCornett on 19 June 2014 - 06:00 AM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

This pen was gifted to me in a 10 pen lot. So price is not an issue. I will most likely use it as a take around pen now and then. I originally replied to someone on another site giving away a Conklin Endura barrel and feed as parts and the owner said he would toss in some functioning pens and pens that need work that he no longer wanted to mess with. All were vintage, one was a Waterman Taperite Crusader. Most only need a new sac and cleaning to technically be ready to go. But some of them need body restoration which is what I will be working on. 

But this is a decent pen. I don't have the sacs in yet but I am curious to see how it performs.

Thanks for the information!

#35500 Received a 10 Pen Lot

Posted by RayCornett on 19 June 2014 - 05:54 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

I just bought some high end pens from a member of this board.  He knew that I love tinkering with old pens to try to get them functioning so he enclosed a few that he said he would never get round to fixing.  To my surprise the lot contained a fully functioning lower end Mont Blanc.  He had told me that there was a MB but for some reason I thought it was tongue in cheek and it was a Chinese copy but no it was the real deal.  There was also a rather good Waterman with solid gold band.  That's given me the biggest headache.  The cap would not screw on with the section in place but screwed on perfectly without it.  I've solved it by using a shorter incorrect section.  Although not correct it's working perfectly.  There was a Mentmore button filler in the most attractive plastic missing nib and feed and a gold MT Swan nib in a broken Platignum but I've tried every feed in the house and can't find 1 to fit.  The hole in the section is very narrow and all my feeds that are the correct length are just too wide.  I enjoyed the 'extras' more than the high end pens so thank you again kind member.

gallery_12816_182_244126.jpg

On the waterman with the cap that won't screw down. This might sound obvious and you may have looked but just in case did you look inside to see if anything was stuck inside the cam or perhaps the inner cap is too close to the lip of the cap?

#35483 "American" Brand Fountain Pens

Posted by RayCornett on 18 June 2014 - 08:57 AM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

I have a fountain pen with the brand name "American" on the clip.American across the nib with an encircled 6 underneath that and made in usa at the bottom. It appears to be gold but there are no markings stating so. This picture is pre-polish job. I also have to straighten the nib. It is a fine/extra fine and seems to have been bent when placing it into the cap at some point.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-06-17-23.16.55.jpg

#35471 Conklin Endura Cap and Nib Needed

Posted by RayCornett on 17 June 2014 - 11:00 PM in Want Lists and Trade Offers

Im expecting someone high prices on the nib. I may have to hold off on it for the time being but I do want to get this pen working.

#35470 Received a 10 Pen Lot

Posted by RayCornett on 17 June 2014 - 10:56 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

I won a pay it forward on another website for a 1925 Conklin barrel and feed that I would probably use as spare parts someday. No cap or nib and the lever has a fixable bend. I believe by the patent info printed on the lever it is a 1925 Endura model(If any of you have an extra cap and nib for this please let me know(.

Along with it he sent a bunch of pens and said some work some need work. He was right. Some just need a sac, cleaning and polish. Some have outright gnawing dents on the ends. Among the lot is a Waterman Crusader Taperite,,  A WearEver Pennant and one other WearEver, , a nice looking Monitor, sparkly purple a pen/pencil combination that sadly has heat warping BUT the pencil side still works perfectly., a small Arnold Durum that attaches to a necklace and, one is simple "American" brand. None of them are high end but they are nice but are worth restoring and perhaps selling or giving to friends. I will keep some and use them for take around pens.

I have a lot of work ahead of me here,lol.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-06-16-15.32.32.jpg
  • 2014-06-16-15.41.57.jpg
  • 2014-06-16-15.59.50.jpg
  • 2014-06-16-17.24.47.jpg
  • 2014-06-16-18.11.20.jpg
  • 2014-06-16-19.45.31.jpg

#35468 Monitor Brand?

Posted by RayCornett on 17 June 2014 - 10:31 PM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

Thanks! I have to do better shots of it and the others I received yesterday as well. All need some sort of minor or major repair. I just snapped that image with my cell phone as soon as I saw it. Interesting how some of the cheaper pens can be the most beautiful and decorative.

#35459 Conklin Endura Cap and Nib Needed

Posted by RayCornett on 17 June 2014 - 06:06 AM in Want Lists and Trade Offers

I am looking for a black Conklin Endura cap as well as a replacement nib. I have the barrel and feed. If anyone has either of these please message me.

#35457 Monitor Brand?

Posted by RayCornett on 17 June 2014 - 05:48 AM in USA "Other": Bexley; Cross; Esterbrook; Carter, Chilton, Moore, Leboeuf, Dunn, Triad, etc.

I have only a little information on this pen. There is a 4 on the nib which I assume means it is a #4 nib.

I heard it was a sub brand of Wahl but had assumed it would have the Wahl name on it somewhere. I would be interested in more information on the Monitor pen line and the history on how it stemmed from Wahl.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-06-16-19.45.31.jpg

#34250 WTT- Fine Art Limited Edition Photographs For Pens

Posted by RayCornett on 27 March 2014 - 09:55 AM in Want Lists and Trade Offers

I am somewhat new to the fountain pen world. Normally I am a photographer. I have many limited edition photographs available in small editions of only 15 and 25 starting at as little as $750 per print and increasing on a sliding scale as the edition runs out. My subject matter ranges from abstraction to still life, street and nudes.

If anyone here is interested in fine art, especially photography, and would be open to trading prints for pens contact me and perhaps we can work something out.

I have attached a small version of one of my more popular prints which is in a limited edition of 25 and there are not many left.

Attached Thumbnails

• rose.jpg

#33737 Australian Sheaffer Identification

Posted by RayCornett on 28 February 2014 - 10:53 AM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

Ah so obvious I didn't see it :)
Were the GTs mainly made in Australia while the CT was made in the US or...? I have also see the nib shape used in the US but only in a late 60s pen with a nib that appeard to be steel.

#33730 Sheaffer in Australia

Posted by RayCornett on 28 February 2014 - 04:48 AM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

I just had this pen identified in a post I made earlier this evening and he suggested I come here, too . Triumph 550(Triumph 550 G.T.) But the ones I see on Google are made in USA. Were they made in both countries simultaniously? I assume now that I read the history above the G.T. is for initials of one of the owners of the company?

The color looks much much lighter than the actual deep blue it is due to the flash on my cell phone.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-02-26-21.32.51.jpg

#33728 Australian Sheaffer Identification

Posted by RayCornett on 28 February 2014 - 04:27 AM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

Oh it writes like a dream. I love it and can't believe the deal I got on it for basically a pristine pen with a solid gold nib once I cleaned it up a little. Thank you for your information! Upon Googling that model number I see that it matches. I see  a G.T. after the name on Google. What is the G.T. for?

#33725 Australian Sheaffer Identification

Posted by RayCornett on 28 February 2014 - 01:13 AM in SHEAFFER (USA "Big Five")

Perhaps some Australian members/Australian Sheaffer experts can help. I get conflicting information on this pen often. This pen was sold to me as a Sheaffer Triumph Imperial and I did get a great deal on it. The color is much darker than the picture.

Sheaffer Australia told me this is indeed a Triumph Imperial as have others but when I look up Sheaffer Imperial Triumph I see a completely different shape in the part of the nib that is inlaid into the pen. More of a straight edged triangular shape on the inner area as opposed to shorter with rounded corners like mine. Mine also has a 14k nib as opposed to the closest model I have found to mine which  is a 60s USA model on PenHero.com which has the same nib but made of steel. Was the Australian version of the Triumph Imperial the only one with this particular nib in 14k instead of steel like the USA model? Just trying to figure out exactly what I have since none of the information I have been given matches any photo of what I am told I have. Also, when was this pen in production? I am aware there are modern and vintage versions.a

EDIT- I forgot to mention that I did see one pen collector at one time on Facebook post this same pen as an Imperial IV and recently saw a US Imperial Compact 2 with this gold nib and cap in a different color. Is this a Franken pen where someone swapped out the nib and section into another barrel?

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-02-26-21.32.51.jpg

#33103 New Collector Representing Sacramento California

Posted by RayCornett on 06 February 2014 - 10:32 AM in Say Hello!

I am new to FP collecting. I only have one so far until my two recent Ebay wins arrive - a  Sheaffer snorkel statesman and blue Triumph Imperial Australian(Seller lives in New Zealand,lol). The one I have now is pictured in my profile image. A 1949 Touchdown Statesman white dot pen and pencil set which I found in a drawer in my fiances fathers home while sorting through his belongings after he passed in November. The set is in damn near perfect condition end to end. I filled the pen for the first time yesterday and it worked flawlessly. I opened the nib up slightly to make it  a little wetter.

I am fully bitten by the FP bug. It is like tattoos. Once you get one you want and crave more.