ihimlen's Content

There have been 4 items by ihimlen (Search limited from 30-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#43470 Wahl Tempoint - is it a Frankenpen?

Posted by ihimlen on 19 July 2016 - 01:08 PM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Looks like a very early model, assembled from Boston stock shortly after Wahl takeover. The Roller Clip design was licensed, so early Boston pens would have one just like on this pen. And once Wahl took over Boston Fountain Pen Co, they didn't waste parts and materials so they assembled pens from the old Boston parts and slapped the TEMPOINT imprint on the barrels. Overall, looks legit to me.

#43469 Eversharp Victory and Select-O-Point

Posted by ihimlen on 19 July 2016 - 12:59 PM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

This actually solves the problem of naming the previously uncatalogued pen with a Gold Seal Emblem (the last Gold Seal pen that preceded the Skyline) - based on this ad, the model name is VICTORY and it's pictured in the third row, on far left. Select-O-Point OTOH, was a Wahl Oxford model that was made to compete with Esterbrook's Renew-Point system and offered interchangeable nibs. (I'll try to find some photos of both models, but before I do that, the Eversharp Victory has been pictured on Richardspens on page 13 of Richard's Collection). Quite cool to actually find out the name of the Victory so many thanks for sharing!

#42001 inventions for cleaner pen filling

Posted by ihimlen on 26 August 2015 - 05:20 PM in Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing

I liked the short-lived Eversharp Kleen Fill ink bottle (I'll add some more info later this evening when I'm back from work). And let's not forget the vaunted Sheaffer Snorkel :)

#41972 odd colour Doric plastic like Cathay on ebay

Posted by ihimlen on 24 August 2015 - 03:30 PM in WAHL, WATERMAN and CONKLIN (USA "Big Five")

Nope, this isn't Cathay. It's evenly discoloured (yellowed) Burma Pearl (smoke grey/black-silver pearl) Doric.