penmanila's Content

There have been 5 items by penmanila (Search limited from 30-March 23)

Sort by                Order  

#44022 A Semi-Sumgai

Posted by penmanila on 26 July 2017 - 03:58 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

Just the camera angle ;) but they were in good shape, and I was able to fix the bent nib pretty easily, so I just need to resac them and replace one of the sections. 

Speaking of semi-sumgais, my wife and I are visiting San Diego to see our daughter (always a good excuse for Comic-Con wink.png ) and we took the trolley out to visit the antiques shops in La Mesa, as we usually do, and the other day I felt very lucky to score three pens I couldn't resist at the prices they went for:

35303577574_c37ca72f3c_b.jpg

The three pens were a Montblanc 22 from the 1960s, a Parker 21, and an Esterbrook SJ, and they went for $48, $20, and $20, respectively. They were in like-new condition, except for the SJ which had a bent nib which I should be able to replace easily. The MB had a tag saying that the seller wasn't sure if it was working, but a simple check of the piston showed that it was. I inked it up at home and it had a springy F nib. The 21 was a smooth M/B.

I thought of reselling them but my wife immediately laid claim to the MB, which I was happy to oblige, and I'll probably just keep the the others for show and tell wink.png

#44015 A Semi-Sumgai

Posted by penmanila on 09 July 2017 - 12:33 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

So maybe it's not a real "sumgai" find (would've been if I'd gotten these for like $20), but while the Western world was sleeping, I picked these up on eBay yesterday for $80 total--two matching sets of Vacumatic pens and pencils in the desirable blue pearl. Note that they sport the less-common "stacked-coin" cap bands, and that, intriguingly, one pen seems longer than the other--a single-jewel long Major?

I'm semi-retired from collecting and these are the first Vacs I've acquired in more than a couple of years but I look forward to receiving and fixing them up (one pen's tines are bent, the other's section may need replacement; thankfully I have parts). 

35806008175_9759a0f16b_b.jpg

#43945 What did I miss?

Posted by penmanila on 09 May 2017 - 02:32 AM in Post Your Pen Finds

congrats! the shrinkage around the cap seems pretty common to these models. i found mine some years ago in an ebay auction in ireland, and it exhibited the same problem. take note that the blind cap and section are made of hard rubber, unlike other vacumatics.

#43753 THE LINCOLN PEN

Posted by penmanila on 03 December 2016 - 03:31 PM in Post Your Pen Finds

I have two of these both very nice big ones and I'll post pics when I get home.

#44025 a striped duofold?

Posted by penmanila on 29 July 2017 - 04:41 PM in PARKER: (USA "Big Five")

i just saw this patent on ebay, and was wondering if this duofold was ever really made by parker:

35438763353_cf9da3b984_b.jpg