14 replies to this topic

#1 TomS

TomS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon, SK Canada

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:33 AM

Canadian issue early1950’s single jewelled, red pearl vacumatics appear now and then, but from my experience the subdebs (if I’m using the term correctly) appear less often, so I thought it might be of interest to post some pictures. I’ve posted a few images of the pen in context – first with other subdebs, and also with other Canadian issue single jewelled red pearl pens from the same time period and with an oversized red pearl for scale and colour comparison. The other picture is just to show the transparency these later issue pens retain.

The Oversized pen in the picture has a large imprint date code 4. The other 3 (Majors or Juniors?)are coded 51 and 52, again with the large imprints typical from the 1950 Canadian vacumatics. One of the majors has what appears to be a factory imprinted PS, just above the blind cap – I have no idea what this signifies.

The selection of debs is interesting in that the sizes are slightly different, as are the cap bands (patterned and plain), and the one blue cap is actually bandless. I have only seen the bandless caps in black, green and blue, so far.

Comments and questions are welcome and I’d love to see pictures of similar pens if anyone has some to share. I have representatives in the other colours (blue, grey, black, and green), but has anyone seen a single jewelled Senior Maxima in red pearl?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by TomS, 17 November 2012 - 06:06 AM.

#2 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:32 AM

Tom, you need to paste the BBCode of your pictures into your post, in order to make the pictures appear. You've already got them into the gallery, so you are almost there.

You can just do it by editing - at least for a while.

Edited by Procyon, 17 November 2012 - 04:36 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#3 TomS

TomS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:07 AM

Tom, you need to paste the BBCode of your pictures into your post, in order to make the pictures appear. You've already got them into the gallery, so you are almost there.

You can just do it by editing - at least for a while.

Thanks!

#4 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

Boy, you have some really nice and unusual vacs there--the bandless (which I've never seen before), the OS with the narrow band, and the red junior ;)
Check out my pens here and my blog here.

#5 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

Tom, I really like that bandless blue. I've never even heard of such a pen til just now. I'm going to have to hunt one down.

#6 TomS

TomS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

I've been watching for the single jeweled reds for a few years and they do turn up. The small debutante is the only one I've seen so far, but the others are more common. The bandless cap pens came as a group from a jewelry shop estate sale in the province and are likely factory replacement parts sent to a dealer, but I'm not sure. The most interesting one was a single jeweled black Senior Maxima. The rest (four in all, I think) were green and blue junior/major-sized caps and debutantes. There were two single banded caps in the lot - one as pictured on the OS red, and the other is on a green Senior Maxima. I have yet to see a singled jeweled red pearl Senior Maxima; perhaps they do not exist - even up here.

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

Posted Image

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#8 TomS

TomS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:18 AM

Posted Image

regards

david

David, That's a stunning set of pens indeed. Have you yet come across a single jeweled Senior Maxima?

#9 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:37 AM

the single-jeweled senior maxima is a fairly well-known variant, ca. 1942/43, iirc. i had one in silver-pearl but sold it. i'm sure david will have a pageant of them in all the colors ;)

#10 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:06 AM

Tom, the single jeweled red Maxima is a possibility, though I've never seen one. It would have been made in 1942 if it was made. We've seen red single jewel majors from 1942, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

#11 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

David's red lockdown Overmax has a wide band, but this one has a narrow circa-'43 cap band? Very odd. Or very Canadian?

#12 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

isn't david's No. 4 above a single-jewel burgundy senior max? it has the correct narrow band for the SJSM. the one to its right is a 1942 major, and to its left is the regular, wide-banded senior maxima.

what's missing from the picture are the more esoteric varieties: the overmax, the reverse overmax, and the "1.5th" gen burgundies (possibly among others).

EDIT: or i could be wrong about No. 3, if that's the overmax--and even No. 4, if i got the lengths and girths wrong (hard to tell since the pens don't line up).

Edited by penmanila, 19 November 2012 - 11:22 PM.

#13 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:09 AM

Link.

#14 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

Pretty sure number 4 is a long major, circa 1942. Number 5 is a Canadian major from the 50s (since it doesn't have a Blue Diamond clip)

#15 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:30 AM

right, thanks!

Pretty sure number 4 is a long major, circa 1942. Number 5 is a Canadian major from the 50s (since it doesn't have a Blue Diamond clip)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users