110 replies to this topic

#81 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:37 AM

OK.

We all have access to public information that gives us the intellect to be our own little expert.

This of course is nonsense.

But, it is a bit entertaining.

-d

Your stating that me saying that statement, is not the same as when some 'experts' are telling new members to look on eBay for pricing... I have resource books, and what I thought were some guidefull friends in the hobby (cough, cough) which could also help me while giving me a bit of an education.

Though when I feel being educated is good, I also feel some get frustrated that their time is being wasted and want me to make it quick or buy something. I suppose that is a sign of being a father or not.

#82 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:41 AM

I previously stated I've not handled any. You also have said the same, so why say this is not an uncommon size?

Brandon, step 1 in having a rational discussion or even debate, is to absorb what "the other guy" actually says, before responding to it.

I never said I have not handled Waterman pens of this size. Indeed, I have posted images before of pens in my collection that are this size. Do go back and... read... and... absorb what actually is said.

Im not exactly sure what sort of insight you'd like me to gather.

I have not instructed you in prior chat to gather any insight. I merely commented on the current state of your insight.

I suppose my spectrum isn't wide enough, but I do know a thing or two. Or at least I'd like to think that (I'll let you decide). As you know I do focus of Watermans primarily, and German pens.

"knowing a thing or two" is an irrelevant bromide.

"Focus" of course is not synonymous with "knowledge"
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#83 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:45 AM

Your stating that me saying that statement, is not the same as when some 'experts' are telling new members to look on eBay for pricing... I have resource books, and what I thought were some guidefull friends in the hobby (cough, cough) which could also help me while giving me a bit of an education.

Though when I feel being educated is good, I also feel some get frustrated that their time is being wasted and want me to make it quick or buy something. I suppose that is a sign of being a father or not.

"me saying"? "Me Bam Bam?"

The rest of your quote/ccomments is a bit hopeless.

Having opinions is fine.. to a point. Equating that with being "expert" is less fine. As was pointed out to you months ago, asking questions, rather than making wide ranging claims, might serve you better.

Too, we remain interested (as Jerry Adair pointed out) to hear about your position in a multi-billion dollar company. Peeking at your Linked-in profile, I note that it takes just $300k or so to start a McDonald's franchise.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#84 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:49 AM

I previously stated I've not handled any.

Your comment is about the Waterman 472 1/2 Pansy Panel Sterling overlay pen.

Yet earlier you wrote,

A nice pen, but nothing too rare about the pen.

I await your basis for your assertion there is nothing too rare about this pen. You are in your view a "little expert". You are in your view a "#1 who sounds smart"

Do share...

regards

david

Posted Image

#85 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

I previously stated I've not handled any.

Your comment is about the Waterman 472 1/2 Pansy Panel Sterling overlay pen.

Yet earlier you wrote,

A nice pen, but nothing too rare about the pen.

I await your basis for your assertion there is nothing too rare about this pen. You are in your view a "little expert". You are in your view a "#1 who sounds smart"

Do share...

regards

david

Oh Dr. Issacson, your words are quite contemptuous and cornering, but I'll try my best.

When I stated that it means exactly that. Common pattern, common nib, but yes uncommon size. IMO that's all it has going. Now IMO a rare Pansy overlay may be of which is a taper eyedropper with snake accommodation cap. Huh, now you can't tell me that would be a $1500-2k pen given the Swann auction results for my favorite pen their, a Waterman smooth silver taper own with a snake accommodation cap for $1150 I believe (I have to double check).

#86 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

"me saying"? "Me Bam Bam?"

The rest of your quote/ccomments are a bit hopeless.

Having opinions is fine.. to a point. Equating that with being "expert" is less fine. As was pointed out to you months ago, asking questions, rather than making wide ranging claims, might serve you better.

Too, we remain interested (as Jerry Adair pointed out) to hear about your position in a multi-billion dollar company. Peeking at your Linked-in profile, I note that it takes just $300k or so to start a McDonald's franchise.

regards

david

Not McD's and its about $50k cheaper to start.

#87 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:12 AM

Oh Dr. Issacson, your words are quite contemptuous and cornering, but I'll try my best.

You are wrong. My words were specific and accurate. That you find specificity and accuracy threatening is... telling.

I await reconciliation of your two statements " I previously stated I've not handled any....A nice pen, but nothing too rare about the pen." regarding the Waterman 472 1/2 Pansy Panel Sterling overly

When I stated that it means exactly that. Common pattern, common nib, but yes uncommon size. IMO that's all it has going.

The size is not uncommon, as has already been pointed out to you.

So, you've never seen the pen. People who know a great deal about Waterman have opined regarding its uncommon status. You, apparently being a "little expert and "#1 'who sounds smart', rather than ask what intrigues those who know more than you, have commented that nothing about the pen is too rare. You don't apparently know enough to know what is uncommon about it, despite your never having seen one of these before, and you did not absorb what was handed to you in the comments about the pen itself, which describe what is uncommon about it. Go... figure.

Now IMO a rare Pansy overlay may be of which is a taper eyedropper with snake accommodation cap. Huh, now you can't tell me that would be a $1500-2k pen given the Swann auction results for my favorite pen their, a Waterman smooth silver taper own with a snake accommodation cap for $1150 I believe (I have to double check).

We return to babble.

Those who assert, "You can't tell me..." often are in great need of being told.

regards

david

Posted Image

#88 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:13 AM

Not McD's and its about $50k cheaper to start.

Leaving us with a situation in which anyone dealing with you is advised to obtain pens or cash from you before sending you any pens or money. A rare thing here...

regards

david

Posted Image

#89 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:20 AM

You are wrong. My words were specific and accurate. That you find specificity and accuracy threatening is... telling.

I await reconciliation of your two statements " I previously stated I've not handled any....A nice pen, but nothing too rare about the pen." regarding the Waterman 472 1/2 Pansy Panel Sterling overly

When I stated that it means exactly that. Common pattern, common nib, but yes uncommon size. IMO that's all it has going.

The size is not uncommon, as has already been pointed out to you.

So, you've never seen the pen. People who know a great deal about Waterman have opined regarding its uncommon status. You, apparently being a "little expert and "#1 'who sounds smart', rather than ask what intrigues those who know more than you, have commented that nothing about the pen is too rare. You don't apparently know enough to know what is uncommon about it, despite your never having seen one of these before, and you did not absorb what was handed to you in the comments about the pen itself, which describe what is uncommon about it. Go... figure.

Now IMO a rare Pansy overlay may be of which is a taper eyedropper with snake accommodation cap. Huh, now you can't tell me that would be a $1500-2k pen given the Swann auction results for my favorite pen their, a Waterman smooth silver taper own with a snake accommodation cap for $1150 I believe (I have to double check).

We return to babble.

Those who assert, "You can't tell me..." often are in great need of being told.

regards

david

Your words are correct, and I appreciate hearing the truth. The one thing I understood about the pen was that the size waslearnmmon, and many haven't handled the Waterman 7 size pens before. If their is more that I don't know,I'm ears open and ready to learn.

#90 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:27 AM

Your words are correct, and I appreciate hearing the truth. The one thing I understood about the pen was that the size waslearnmmon, and many haven't handled the Waterman 7 size pens before. If their is more that I don't know,I'm ears open and ready to learn.

Moving beyond some of the dysfunctional verbiage, I note that the pen in question is not a 7-size pen.

regards

david

Posted Image

#91 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:41 AM

Moving beyond some of the dysfunctional verbiage, I note that the pen in question is not a 7-size pen.

regards

david

Let me reread and get back to you.

The 472 1/2, please teach me what I don't know.

Also I do have the chance to purchase a 475, I take that it might be even harder to come by?

Edited by brando090, 14 April 2013 - 06:44 AM.

#92 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:45 AM

Also I do have the chance to purchase a 475, I take that it might be even harder to come by?

To start then, do you know what a Waterman 475 is, what features make it "475"?

regards

david

Posted Image

#93 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:57 AM

To start then, do you know what a Waterman 475 is, what features make it "475"?

regards

david

I do appreciate the willingness to help me, I really so appreciate it.

And from what ive read the 47x series is a screw cap eyedropper which is the 7,the 4 means silver, and 2 means nib size and the 1/2 is the slender model. To kill two bids with one stone, the 475 would have a Watermans #5 nib, is this correct?

#94 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:40 PM

Sorry to be short, im on battery power. Instead of looking at a single trait try looking at the features in combination.

#95 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

Please Hugh forgive me. I was going to let this dog stay on the porch but I can't . In a word...... WHAT!
Bran that last statement fo yours makes no sense whatsoever.
Please reconstruct it so I may understand what you are saying.
Jerry

#96 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

Please Hugh forgive me. I was going to let this dog stay on the porch but I can't . In a word...... WHAT!
Bran that last statement fo yours makes no sense whatsoever.
Please reconstruct it so I may understand what you are saying.
Jerry

David asked me what made the 475 a 475. I came in with both the characteristics of the 472 and 475. From what ive read the 47x series is a screw cap eyedropper which is the number 7,the number 4 means silver, and the number 2 means nib size and the 1/2 is the slender model. To kill two bids with one stone, the 475 would have a Watermans #5 nib, is this correct?

#97 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

That would be correct>
Jerry

#98 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:47 PM

The phrase is 'kill two BIRDS with one stone'.

#99 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:21 AM

Autocorrect doesn't always word, buy yes that is what I meant. Anything else about this pen that I don't know?

#100 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:07 AM

Autocorrect doesn't always word, buy yes that is what I meant. Anything else about this pen that I don't know?

No "pen" has been discussed, rather a model number. We'd have to see an actual pen and find out what you know in order to figure out what you don't know.

regards

david

Posted Image

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users