110 replies to this topic

#41 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

Don't you mean gute schafen? oder schlafen geganen? My German is very rusty but I don't know the word schluffie.
Jerry

#42 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

Heck I can't spell either schlafen is the correct spelling for gute schlafen
My bad.
Jerry

#43 PatMorgan

PatMorgan

journeyman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

Don't you mean gute schafen? oder schlafen geganen? My German is very rusty but I don't know the word schluffie.
Jerry

is is nyc yiddish

i would gay shlofn, or geyn schlofn
my cousin as a child would say schluffie, so we picked it up in the house.

#44 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

Ah a little yiddish slang . I used to work for a gentleman named Dick Abrahams and picked up some Yiddish from him and my friend Ralph Stillwell (a pen guy) always messes with my German using his Yiddish. He speaks at least 4 languages pretty fluently. He is also the Pens for Kids go to person. My problem is I can only communicate in SIE and familiar German might as well be another language. Now I must practic my Yiddish even more now.
Haben sie einem schoenen wochende!
Jerry

#45 brando090

brando090

journeyman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

What hours are you working Brandon, how many days a week and how many are you supervising?

Based on previous responses...you are pushing a rope.

I'm going with Wendy's they are always scrubbing something.

Not Wendys.

#46 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

The silence for the company name is deafening. Methinks it is wishful thinking
Jerry

#47 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:47 PM

Jerry

All the secrecy it makes me think he is a G-man but they are all salaried employees with an expense account.

Let's just keep pushing on the rope.

Todd

#48 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:06 AM

Jerry

Schluffie (variable spelling) would be from the Yiddish, which is German derived, but which... takes liberties... ;)

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#49 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:08 AM

Jerry

Might be or not. As with many things, "supervising" offers rather large ambiguity ;)

But, i return to the notion I've posted several times the last year when threads such as this appear... being obscure with what one owns, about why one has such poor grammer, about what one will offer for trade and/or about one's life... does not encourage trust

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#50 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

David I'm sure you can guess but a little clue 'He who is no longer in the hobby' He did post and the penand if tracking is to be believed, pen arrived in the UK before falling into a black hole. I have tried Parcelforce and Royal mail to no avail. I've harrassed 2 postmen to see if they have access to better tracking facilities, written 2 letters of complaint to RM last 1 didn't even get answered. The thing that annoyed me most was the seller ignoring my E Mail. R M said that the seller must make the claim for lost items not the recipient and I was not entitled to compensation. At least with E Bay you have buyer protection so I will stick to E Bay in future. Expensive lesson.

You just had the misfortune of dealing with someone who's "word" left a lot to be desired, for whatever reason. While I sell few pens I've taken the view that if the buyer wants cheap postage he/she takes the "risk", pay for "signed for" and I take the risk ensuring if lost I'll claim from the Postal Service ( and I'll refund the money as well...). Interestingly I have bought a lot of pens and will, myself, take the risk of low cost postage ( most aren't pricey ) and I've never had a pen fail to turn up so you really where unlucky in this case. Even at this point it may still turn up, one item ( a CD) I bought years ago took 10 months....I have no idea where it spent all that time !! I'd like to think your unfortunate example an issolated instance from a person who's reputation wasn't all that good to start with.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#51 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

There's little point in prolonged conversations/arguements with Brandon , simply accept him as he is and if he says he's in charge of 14 employees in a multi billion dollar company ....Posted Image....just smile and think of those 14 lucky people.
Hugh Cordingley

#52 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

There's little point in prolonged conversations/arguements with Brandon , simply accept him as he is and if he says he's in charge of 14 employees in a multi billion dollar company ....Posted Image....just smile and think of those 14 lucky people.

Lucky people? I'm thinking new career, where do I get an application?

#53 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

Hugh:
What?
Jerry

#54 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

I had another thought.

I would expect a little more than average for a supervisor so in the right range.

#55 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

I saw this thread developing long before I noticed the author of the OP, and thus have had to play catch-up. I find it heartening how malleable the community is in its responses, and because of this I've had another good dip into Yiddisher terminology. I happened to play in an avant-Klezmer band for over ten years, and one of the highlights was an evening where three elderly audience members made a foursome with the band leader in a raucous shouting match as to the true historic and entymological derivations of schmaltz.

I supervise three cats, though if the truth be known, I'm the one who cleans the cat box.

#56 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:23 AM

I saw this thread developing long before I noticed the author of the OP, and thus have had to play catch-up. I find it heartening how malleable the community is in its responses, and because of this I've had another good dip into Yiddisher terminology. I happened to play in an avant-Klezmer band for over ten years, and one of the highlights was an evening where three elderly audience members made a foursome with the band leader in a raucous shouting match as to the true historic and entymological derivations of schmaltz.

I supervise three cats, though if the truth be known, I'm the one who cleans the cat box.

Joe:
Do you wear the hat?
Jerry

#57 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:39 AM

Joe:
Do you wear the hat?
Jerry

You asked me quite nice,
and needn't ask twice -
the answer to that
is the Cat wears the Hat!

In other news, I've had a boatload of people mistaking my name for "Joe" recently. I'd hate to have to revert back to Jonathan - all that typing... :)

#58 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:45 AM

Joe:
Do you wear the hat?
Jerry

You asked me quite nice,
and needn't ask twice -
the answer to that
is the Cat wears the Hat!

In other news, I've had a boatload of people mistaking my name for "Joe" recently. I'd hate to have to revert back to Jonathan - all that typing... :)

Jon
You ar quite right I do apologize for that slip. No I was not refering to the Cat in the Hat but rather your band. Ther is a famous Klezmer band in Chicago called the Maxwell Street Klezmer Band. I have actually seen them and all of the men wore fedoras.
What the heck is avant gard Klezmer?
Jerry

#59 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:36 AM

What the heck is avant gard Klezmer?

Well, the band was populated by a very wide assortment of players, many of whom were playing on 'secondary' instruments. All of this preceded the more 'modern' klezmer craze, and our lifespan was from the mid-70's till late-ish-80's. A few of the members were contemporary (classical/academic/avant-garde) musicians, including one very famous woman who performed as a man in the group. Of the two clarinetists, one was a world-class player and composer, and the second was an award-winning bluegrass guitar and banjo player who had a metal clarinet. The former played all the notes, the latter made... sounds. Together they were known as The Poultry Section. It was not unknown for a traditional frailach to devolve - or evolve - into something resembling Stockhausen.

The highlight of our 'career' (aaaah ha-ha-ha-ha-ha) is two-pronged: we provided the recording for one year's Best Selling Children's Book (a version of "The Teddy Bear's Picnic), and the other was a one-night show at MoMA in NYC. We shortly thereafter faded into obscurity, but in a long life of music, it was one of the most fun bands I've ever played in! I just remembered something, don't know if this will work, but...

The BJB in Tijuana

If you listen to that clip, the trumpet player studied (as a youth, or "yute" as they say in NY) with legendary jazz/klezmer trumpeter Ziggy Elman, but had in adult life gone on to be the very successful founder of the Kashi line of foods. I'm not kidding, this band was a pretty amazing assortment of people.

Cheers,
Jon

Edited by JonSzanto, 07 April 2013 - 03:41 AM.

#60 Christof Z

Christof Z

journeyman

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationConfoederatio Helvetica

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:43 AM

1365210362[/url]' post='23401']

1365182051[/url]' post='23384']
Jerry

Schluffie (variable spelling) would be from the Yiddish, which is German derived, but which... takes liberties... ;)

-d

I thought it sounds sort of german, but... like King Julian ( in the German translation of Madagascar) would speak. Charming.
If it should be of interest for someone here (but I don't think so) the correct German would be " Schlaf gut."
Christof

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users